Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fantasy RPG? ... My opinion is that SOTA is going to only melèe ...

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by gracy, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracy

gracy Avatar

Taming has been killed, Magic nerfed again ... well what say more?

just some answers to the posted R36 Major changes to magic:

1. While this still might be a good strategy for some things, it will not work on everything. I tried to make the resistance changes as realistic as possible. For an example, elementals are highly magic resistant overall, almost immune to their element and vulnerable to the opposite element.

A. ... well to make it even more realistic, make swords and arrows don't deal damages on fire and air mob for example

2. Next up, Defensive Stance is no longer a flat damage resistance buff and instead is a bonus to what armor gives you. Players wearing heavy armor might actually see a small uptick in how much this protects but players in cloth or leather could see a drastic reduction. This is part of the ongoing attempt to help define roles based on armor. For a while, we have had a problem that the best tanks in the game wore cloth and just stacked a ton of defensive skills and spells. That was never intended but rather grew out of enhancements to magic systems and itemization.

A. For what I see in game, almost every people are wearing heavy plate, magic caster are disadvantages with fizzle on magic so they can't use heavy to be effective, so why don't improve magic resistance to improve the light armors?
    People with heavy armours are naturally resistant, and they have no disadvantages except for the fizzles, for example they run like Usain Bolt!

3. Fizzle for armor on Air, Fire, and Death schools increased slightly. The multiplier for armor penalty in most spells in those schools went up by either 0.1 or 0.2. This means that your armor has a base 30% fizzle, your fizzle chance for those schools went up by 3% or 6%. This was done to help differentiate light and heavy armor a bit more.

A. ok ok I have understood, you like only people wearing heavy

4. Interruption is working again in R36! During all of R35, spells couldn’t be interrupted at all except by stuns and knock downs. That was actually a bug that has now been fixed. Additionally, while spell “Lock” times have remained the same, many spells now have a “Cast” time. For those unclear, lock time is how long from start of execution until you can do something else, like start casting another spell. Cast time is the time during which you can be interrupted and also when it shows the bar at the bottom of the screen. This has always been the intended design, that most spells would have cast times and be interruptible by attacks. Again, this is another change in trying to make sure that casters are not the best tanks in the game and also to give non-casters a way to be competitive with casters in PVP as well.

A. I remember I was interrupted already in R35, if that will be increased in R36 I have not clear how many time my spells will hit .. maybe after I die :)

5. Ok casters, ready for some good news? For spells that are damaging or have negative effects, the targets resistance is now equal half their attunement plus their resistance instead of their full attunement! This means that players with no resistance gear will almost certainly be easier to damage with magic. This will primarily only affect PVP and the difference should be noticeable.

A. I don't like PvP, so the only plus I can get is ineffective for me

summary ... I am a tamer, I don't use anymore taming after has been killed, I like magic and this has been nerfed again in this release.
    I was close to stop to play when I was no more able to use taming, now I see magic nerfed again ...

PS. This is a FANTASY game, don't force yourself to be too much realistic, otherwise you'll make this game like a FPS shooter as crossfire it is ... but with only swords and arrows ... in a fantasy MMORPG i like to see magic casters, tamers, bards to be like and in many situation better than warriors

2. Derium

Derium Avatar

Yeah, the "good news" part made me laugh. I'll say this as nice as I possibly can... No one gives a **** about PvP in this game, stop it Port.

But seriously, I understand high level mages were doing great damage. But now our defensive stance was nerfed, mobs have 4x the HP causing us to be in melee range most of the fight now (glass cannons are useless when you have to go toe to toe every fight) then we get to stand around for seemingly ever after each fight to regen our focus.

I agree though, if they are trying to make it "real" with the resists, then make fire/water/air immune to physical damage. Fair is fair.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

heavy armour has no defense against magic unless you use the new resist gems (at the cost of attunement. You move slower in heavy armour also and can not effectively cast air/death/fire magic at all.
    That was a change to give the advantage to light armour wearers, which it does if you want to use those trees.
    The interupt rate was 0 (zero), no chance at all for interrupt. The only possible interrupt was a stun.

This also means that high attunement can bypass mob resists.

Until now there was no defense against magic at all, it was a fast path to aoe destroy entire zones. This is still the case, except now some mobs are resistant to some forms of magic.

4. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

It added me strategy then finding a decent spread of skills one time and using that against everything. One of my better wtf moments this morning was realizing my corpse explosion didn't damage skeletons anymore. However, once I noticed that and started using my other spells I noticed that my searing ray seemed to be doing a lot more damage then it used to. I'm assuming banish undead will hit for even more giving me a reason to work towards gaining that. Just the ability to move while casting almost everything I have been casting to this point helps a ton. I'm taking less damage in general and after finding the weak point will be killing just as fast if not faster then I used to.

Gurney2 likes this.
  5. Infineon

Infineon Avatar

hahahaha Fire/Tank/Mage Crying about that they cant keep the exploit solo boss, well come to the real world kid.

=)

6. gracy

gracy Avatar

Hi Themo, I am sure that I had interrupt in R35 also, in particular at DR with spiders I remember that in many cases I was not able to use almost any spell, if the interrupt in R36 will be worst ... well is no more usefull have spells :)

More general ... I like fantasy MMORPG for ... the "fantasy factor", swords are too realistic and bows too ;-) ... after taming have been "killed" and after magic so nerfed ... i have almost no reasons to play the game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.