Farewell Stephen Daniele, you will be missed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

It has recently come to my attention that Stephen is no longer with Portalarium (at least not in a full time capacity).

I hope and assume this was an amicable split. But either way, please let me hare some thoughts.

Stephen, you are indeed a rock star. Your art is of the highest level, and your charismatic presence was both entertaining and educational. I have absolutely no doubt you fill find another gig quickly, if indeed that is what you choose to do.

Best of luck on your future endeavors!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I didn't hear that, he is still showing up on the Devs list but I know that may be out of date. So I'm not read to say good bye yet;)

3. selbie

selbie Avatar

If this is true it will be sad to see him go, but I'm not surprised about it given the nature of his profession. SotA will be a great asset for his portfolio along with all the wonderful work he has done for the community. He should be immensely proud regardless of him leaving or not.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Where did you hear that, Bubonic? :eek:

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Stephen has been inactive since Oct 7th. Only doing Pen of the Avatar.

smack, Joviex, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  6. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

How come?

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Yeah this is quite old information... Like any project of this type, there will be those who start on the team early that leave later in the project because of needs for other types of employees as development progression reaches certain points. We haven't had much need for concept art for a while because so much of the concept art has been done for a while. No worries about his activity with the community, he still plans on interacting with us all in game, forum, etc...

8. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Even if it is the nature of game development, I still found it gutting. Stephen has been a personal and professional inspiration for over 20 months now, and I know I am not alone in that feeling. Since the Kickstarter, he has offered up his time and shared his craft and insights with the community, and drew us into the game and development process. A wonderful creative vision, and a figure that bolstered community spirit and involvement - the loss will be felt.

I would have backed the game either way because I am an Ultima and Lord British fan. But Stephen is a large part of why I am Shroud of the Avatar fan. I have him to thank for my early involvement in the development and community, and all of the friends I have made during that time. Frankly, my ONBE should be dedicated to Stephen.

I will be following his new work and I hope, for the benefit of SotA, that he can continue to touch and influence future development of this game.

Thank you for everything, Stephen. :)

9. monxter

monxter Avatar

It's been a privilege to watch Stephen create art since the KS campaign! I guess it's a natural part of the process, but I'm hoping we'll see more art from Stephen in the future episodes. You're essential in the spirit of SoTA.

Cheers @caravaggiosWolf !

10. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Stephen dude! I have always liked art, but Thank you, for helping me understand it better. *raises Mug*
    Lor

11. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

If there is no monument in game built for this man. You're doing it wrong.

12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

old to whom? considering some of the names here had no clue.

its stuff like this that is disheartening to the community you build, especially when it is quietly done and only certain people know.

Stephen was a great leader in more than just concept art for this project.

his presence could have been utilized in other areas rather than just writing him of as as downscale event.

Good luck to him in future projects.

Mykll, Time Lord, Amber Raine and 6 others like this.
  13. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

Isn't Rustic Dragon on that list still too?

Time Lord and Spoon like this.
  14. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

All of us on the SotA team are in complete agreement with the sentiments expressed in this thread, in that Stephen has been one of the major driving forces behind the look and feel of SotA. It is the natural course of events, that at this stage of development, other critical development tasks have a higher priority over concept art, so Stephen is taking a sabbatical from full-time SotA operations. He is still considered a member of the Portalarium tribe and SotA development team, and will contribute concept art on an as-needed basis, and as his schedule permits.

majoria70, Shadow, Time Lord and 43 others like this.
  15. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Amen/Exactly!!!! Like on any team, each member is a joy to have for what they contribute but all teams evolve as the project evolves and goes through natural stages of development. Is always best when it is without hurt feelings and with understanding so that they forever remain important part of the community. Is nice that this has always been the case with development for so many decades now. :)

16. smack

smack Avatar

Old info to only those in the know. And we really don't know how much concept art has actually been completed, but I'm hoping you're right and he has done a lot more than has been revealed. There are still some 70+ unique towns or dungeons that haven't even been designed yet, along with all the monsters, buildings, gear, etc that goes with that. Who's concepting those? I hope Stephen has or will be.

Stephen has been a critical member of the team and it's unfortunate to see him go. I wish him the best of luck in his future projects, and I do hope Portalarium retains him for all that concept art. I wouldn't have it any other way.

17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

We need a quarterly Pen of the Avatar!

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In a game studio you generally see one of two types of cycles.

The studio is small and only has budget for one game at a time, so they have a lot of contract work. That work cycles in and out based on need. Concept artists do a lot early, but aren't needed late.

Or the second scenario is that the studio is larger and has multiple projects at once. When you finish pre-production on one project, those team members then shift to pre-production on the next so keep the employees in house and employed full time.

19. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I am surprised that some of you are only just hearing about this. It has been noticed for a while now that his absence has been more then noticable... As Dame Lori has mentioned, several are very heart broken over the loss of Stephen, someone even wrote and performed a very touching poem for him. Stephen has touched the hearts, souls and very spirits of people. I remember watching the kick starter and seeing how pledges went WAY up when ever he would draw something.

If it had not been for him, I would not have written my first poem in the community, He was the one that I wrote for in Heart of Britannia contest in february (before even writing one to Starr, who would have not gotten one if I had not been told I could submit two)

2). He has helped my art progress and become far better while watching Pen Of The Avatar

3) IF it had not been for Daniele my novel would not be written. I never gave myself any credit in my ability, it was his words in April that gave me a returned faith in myself. I had been published before, yet it was always poetry. I am now proceeding forth in a full blown novel with it held close that he said in April (even tho things do change so it may not happen) - He would draw the cover. That meant everything to me!

4) I have followed his art since 96 with M:TG . The Academy today is still my favorite card that I use.

The first time I posted something about this I actually got moderated and warned.. I knew it when the post from one of the devs posted about their team... i got moderated.. but I knew it. His work will forever live immortally inside SotA and a wolf shall always walk by my side, as is the wolf in the Gabriel Nightshadow "Chronicles of the Avatar" - Mori Tura was because of Stephen Daniele, best damn protective and artistic wolf around!

Thank you Stephen, for everything!

20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

To be frank: Not all of us read every single thing nor do I expect community members to be the ones to tell me about shifts of major contributors to the project.

The newsletter would be a good place to announce something like that, to everyone.

Again, I hardly ever have a problem with WHAT is done, just HOW it is done.

Cormac, Time Lord, Borg and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.