Faster D/l of patch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coyotemoon, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

It's much quicker to uninstall and re-install so you go directly from 0->484, vs 481-482, 482-483, 483-484. Sure, you take the 6.5 GB hit to re-download everything but in my tests, it is 100x faster to get to the latest.

Sure, you might have slow download issues to get the latest, but then you'd only experience that once vs many times to get 482, 483, etc.

I've run into these slow download issues and just continually restart the client until I get satisfactory speeds. If it stays slow for more than a few minutes, I restart it. I've found that it never recovers, so it's useless to let it sit there thinking it will eventually speed up. There's something broken about their downloading via launcher since internally it also just uses MonoTorrent, yet using an external BitTorrent client will be 100x faster.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Stadulator

Stadulator Avatar

And you used Steam. I'ts well proven in this thread that if you use Steam you don't encounter the slow down. The problem we're trying to address is that we should be able to use the launcher and not go through Steam or some other 3rd party app. We question why the trying to DL directly from Port is so broken.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Hylax

Hylax Avatar

it stinks!

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yep, SOTA Love Stinks, But it's sort of like the old days of early UO and other MMO's,
    "The Download Time is Only Worth The Wait Once All the Waiting is Completed" ;)!

It took me 12 hours from Thailand and was well worth the waiting...
    ~Time Lord~:D

5. Hylax

Hylax Avatar

sorry.... this is a farce...... anyone want to buy another account?

Woftam and Time Lord like this.
  6. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Well you can use steam. But those of us that don't use steam just leave your patcher open while you play or if your PC is just sitting there doing nothing. You will host the patches out for everyone else. If my PC is on I tend to leave the patcher running so people can get decent download of the patch. But if I start streaming I usually turn it off. Sorry!

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This particular download is one of the largest we've had since the first of persistence. I had to move my Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous game programs to another drive so I could fit this patch in. I was downloading without Steam which is said to be far faster.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

Took me 2 days to dl R34 for some reason. Didn't get to play all weekend.

Maybe it's time to upgrade my 2Gbps line 10Gbps :) j/k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.