Fastest Decorator in the West Saturday January 23rd 1pm NBT in Diamond Fields.

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Lace, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Lace

Lace Avatar

Diamond Fields is happy to announce our second event. We are located a wagon's ride from Port Phoenix on the Elysium Isles. This is a role play event where our top realm decorators go head to head with limited time, space and materials. We can accept only up to 10 contestants for this contest as we only have 10 similar sized rooms to be decorated. We will be using the City size adobe house for this competition. Please note that this house has not been placed yet, but you may visit one on the adobe island in Hometown to start thinking about ideas. We will only be using the following areas for our contestants:
    • 5 square rooms on the bottom floor, not the elongated rectangular rooms stairways or hallways
    • 5 square rooms on the second floor, not the elongated rectangular rooms, stairways or hallways

Contestant Rules
    • You will have 30 minutes to decorate your room. This has been amended from the 15 minute initial time.
    • Items in the hallways, stairway access areas and the 'long skinney rooms' may also be used/stolen*.
    • No decorations from outside, or the rooftop may be used as we will have guests there. You may not take items from the other rooms being decorated nor disrupt the other contestants. There will be hall monitors for rule enforcement.
    • There will be a deco merchant present in the central courtyard, but that is out of your own wallet [​IMG]
    • You may barter with your fellow contestants to trade duplicate items from each other.
    • You may not bring in any add-on store items, or pre-crafted to keep it fair (maker tags will be checked).
    • Since we will have the deco merchant there, bringing in your own deco merchant items will be allowed, but you cannot bring a storage chest or place it. If you can't carry it you probably shouldn't bring it.
    • You can bring in your own stealables, but these will be provided for your use as well.
    • You may not use hallways as staging areas to keep you from being overburdened. You must work in your space only.
    • When time is up all access to the house will be removed. So it really is pencils down when the time limit is up. Please exit and close the door to your room if you complete your decoration ahead of time.
    • The house with the items that can be stolen/used will be set up no later than one week prior to the event so decorators may see some of the deco that in addition to their mystery box they can use in their designs. The lot will be kept locked until then, but during that one week period you will get some time to look at the rooms, look at some of the items and think about your design.
    • You may not bring pledge type items (automatons, immortality fruit trees, servants, vendors, and any others I cannot think of at the moment. (thanks @Athanil for the suggestion)
    • You may only use a maximum of 2 light sources in your room design (again thanks @Athanil for this idea)
    • *You can grab up every single item in every single hallway to prevent other conestants from using them, but you will not have a storage chest to place them in and you will be overburded. You cannot use the wardrobes and trunks to hoard things. When judging is going on I will be checking the containers in the rooms. I have to ask you do not use unused containers on the lot to squirrel stuff, and keep in the spirit of things.
    • The house is near capped on items, so if you bring in outside items, you are going to have to pick up things in order to place, or beat the contestant doing the same thing. muahahahah.
    • Once winners are announced I will open the lot up to the contestants to cash and carry whatever items they want to use to decorate their own abodes.

Judging Categories
    • Use of color 1-20
    • Overall Appeal 1-20
    • Functionality 1-20
    • Attention to Detail 1-20 (is stuff crooked when it sholdn't be)
    *After all the contestants are done, we will go room by room collecting scores. This process will take approzimately 30 minutes.

Times
    Contestants, since everyone will be starting and finishing at the same time, it is imperative you arrive 30 minutes prior to our scheduled start time so we can get you a room assigned and can wander around thinking about items to use, but will not be able to actually place items yet. The scheduled start time is 1pm NBT so please arrive by 12:30pm NBT.

Sepectators are welcome during the whole event, so please join us for a dance party on the roof with aetheric amplifiers and Avatar's Radio streamed. This event should last approximately 1-1.5 hours.

Prizes
    (still a work in progress and we will have a wipe shortly after this event)
    Bragging Rights for starters.
    Min 15k 1st, 10k 2nd 5k 3rd
    Prize update 100k to first place, 50k second and 25k third place.

Volunteers needed
    I need 4 judges preferably from different guild affiliations to not only judge, but also act as hall monitors to enforce the no removal from courtyard, outside and rooftop rules. (2 per floor)
    Bribing judges with 10 dollar in store credit for their service

I need one lot manager to add permissions for the contestants at the start time and then remove it after 30 minutes.

Other Details
    Once the judging is completed and our top 3 announced, we would normally have a lottery drawing or something similar to what we did with the swag bags, but with the wipe 5 days later, it is fairly moot. This event on live servers would have this piece, but we will forgo it this time.

For me I get the real prize and that is a decorated house for 5 days [​IMG]

If you have ideas or suggestions to make this event better now or in the future please let me know.

Again that is Saturday January 23rd 1pm NBT in Diamond Fields, a wagon ride from Port Phoenix or you can do /zone Lace

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Great contest Lace! I hope all 10 slots will fill up!

I've been wondering about a couple of things:

- What about bringing your own pledge items? You only mention add-on store items in your post.
    - Is there a light limit per room? Since the lot has light limit.
    - Bartering for items, perhaps it should be done in local chat incase someone tries to cheat while trading items? (not assuming that anyone does that, it's just a way to prevent it alltogether)

Moiseyev Trueden and Lace like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

This is a fantastic contest idea! I'm sure you will get plenty of willing contestants. There are so many great decorators in this game and they all do amazing work so you will enjoy that last week of living in your house! But putting them all on a clock, head to head, will truly bring out the cream of the crop. :D

The only negative I see with this is that it is so close to the wipe and any "prize" they win won't get to last long.

Even still, I hope I can make it to see how it goes. Saturday's are usually my "family" day and I don't log in until later in the evening... but I'll see if I can try to sneak in.

Moiseyev Trueden and Lace like this.
  4. Selene

Selene Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Oh, wow, this looks like so much fun!!

5. Lace

Lace Avatar

ooo I had not thought of lighting limit these are very tiny rooms on a keep lot at the moment I will check but I think I will have to add a 2 light limit per room thanks for thinking of that!

Pledge items, yes that could garner some unfair advantages .. will add that rule too.

The bartering hmmm I am not sure I understand how they could cheat on the bartering... Can you clarify?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Lace

Lace Avatar

yes but if I do it post wipe it won't be for probably like 1.5 months after wipe so I can secure the items for them to use and or steal them, plus I have to secure the funds for the event (and try to decorate a POT).

The idea here is to test pilot this event so that when we are live, we kind of have the kinks worked out to have it as a recurring event bi-annually or something.

7. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Well, not saying it will happen, but people could on purpose try to sabotage people by withdrawing items right before a trade. Let's face it, not everyone is paying attention to trade windows. So having people agree over local everyone will know what exactly will be traded. Not only that, but what if someone else wants a particular item as well and will trade better items for it? What better way to get what they want by interrupting a trade that's going on and saying: "Hey, i might have a better trade for you! Listen to this.."

What do you think? Is this a bit farfetched or..?

8. Lace

Lace Avatar

K thinking about this

9. Lace

Lace Avatar

So I have started putting some of the decorations in the building, well so far 792 placed. I have a few more things to add for use with decoration but if you decorators wish to window shop and start planning your routes for plundering you can. More lights will be added along with paintings and tapestries just fyi. If there are some items you wish to specifically request and don't already find in the building or on the deco merchant please let me know.

Oh yeah the plot is SE from the main town square in Diamond Fields way up high on that plateau that overlooks the small island and the ocean.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  10. Lace

Lace Avatar

800 items in the house so far for you decorators, still need to make some pillows, plant some agricultural plants for you but getting there.

[​IMG]

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

@Lace

Great idea.

I have huge amounts of deco items, some of which I got from @Athanil, and with my treasure hunt being deco-almost-finished I will not be using most of it until wipe. For instance those "borrowed" small deco from NPCs like jars, vials, small plates, pewter stuff, etc. So let me know if you want a drop off, if so simply add Spoon as friend in game and whisper me when I'm online.

For this test in pre-alpha you will be fine since everyone knows everyone, but since you are partly doing this for post-launch kinks then I'd say that one can easily game this ruleset. Please note that this is not criticism of the event nor do I think that you need to change anything for this one, but rather that if you would run a live one post-lauch there might be things to consider.
    For instance, within the rules, two players can both sign up seperately but actually team up, one which focus on deco and one which focus on plunder. Then using the trade rule the plunderer can dump everything on the deco player. Resulting in one great room and one maybe not so good. That would give the deco player much more time to do the actual decorating and the plunderer can block other players' efforts.

You have put in rules against containers, but in your pics you have several ones. That means I can just as easily as bringing my own just simply take one of yours with the same effect, making those rules moot. Say I show up slightly encumbered, when signal goes the first thing I grab is one of your containers run to my room place that and dump my brought stuff, then run back and plunder+dump.
    It also makes any enforcement of the "don't bring a container" impossible. (The non-crafted ones like the Dark Cabinet).

Lace likes this.
  12. Lace

Lace Avatar

Yep I know some things could be gamed, but the weight limit, and other factors will play into any decorator hoarding. Also I will be near capping the item deco on the residence so if they bring in 100 things .. they will need to remove 100 things to not hit the cap limit. Now can one person place 100 mugs in their room and take 100 shelves, plants and other items to cripple others .. sure .. but they arent gonna win with a house full of mugs.

Does that kinda make sense?

As for a launch thing .. yeah I know 1 person could enter the event take everything then zone out and sell it. But guess what .. bad rep. Could they delete the toon after a transfer and redo sure .. that is the trust issue, but its only non store decor, it can be recouped/remade and that person would be suspect .. Perhaps saying a guilded person only can enter, could alleviate this .. they have to have a rep to risk for being a douche?

Thanks for the thought for live.

PS I guess they could try to trade to friends on the lot to hold weight/items, that is where the hall monitors come in, all spectators on roof, no contestants up there .. they come up .. they dq'ed.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  13. Spoon

Spoon Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

;)Yes the cap thing makes a lot of sense. You should add that to your OP. It's also great tidbit of PR excitement.
    "We have filled the whole building up to maximum. To deco you need to pull down items and place them in your room".

Also, bump.

Lace likes this.
  14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I will be waiting for the "slower decorator ever" contest. I could win that easily.

majoria70, SeleneNoctua and Lace like this.
  15. Lace

Lace Avatar

I am still looking for some judges. Let me bribe you with 10 dollar store credit each, need 4 please.

Additional prizes added a row lot (for the week), a town lot, house and basement- these items will be contestant only, they are hidden among the 1000 things in the house to be placed.

For the spectators at least 100 dollars (broken up) will be randomly given away to the spectators, contestants, judges and volunteers.

I am getting pumped!

Hope to see yall this Saturday.

16. Sand

Sand Avatar

I would judge and for free even if you still need one.

Lace and majoria70 like this.
  17. Lace

Lace Avatar

I do indeed! .. now I need 3 more.

18. Sand

Sand Avatar

Lace, majoria70 and Apollox Evanheart like this.
  19. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I'd be willing to judge, if will allow me. Providing that nothing comes up in RL.

Lace, majoria70 and SandCollector like this.
  20. Lace

Lace Avatar