Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Blood, gore, limb cutting&cooking.

Strapping heads or scalps to my belt so everyone can see I'm #1 l337 assassin.

Being able to make a tobacco sack from someone's b...uhm..nevermind.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Awesome ideas...and you won't have to worry about people bummin' smokes off of you.;)

Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  3. Jossy

Jossy Avatar

This is pretty much an extention of my easel and blank canvas idea, though I'm sure that will have legal issues because of explicit content, but I would like to see, if feasable, interactable objects like phonographs that will record and store player music on the rolls and maybe even old school camera's that allow printout's of game scenery for wall deco instead of the easel paintings.

BillRoy and rild like this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Well, I don't think there should be any "limitations" on what players do, such as raw materials on an AH and craftables on a vendor. I do believe there should be "limitations" through a criminal/justace sytem where criminals are not allowed in towns/cities possibly allowed in villages. But I think there are plans that have not been told to us yet, like the Tesla coils.

I'm not too sure how the "instancing" will work in Public areas, I don't want to see raw materials only spawning in PvP zones, sort of speak. I do believe the game software to be "aware" of my actions, and I would surely not want to be classed as a "PvPer" if all I do is defend myself after being attacked. If that is the case, I will most likely be begging the PvPer to "get on with it, I'll just stand here until I'm dead", just as long as the game never flags me as conscenting in to PvP and remaining me flagged as an "innocent".

I would also like to see a system where if I don't defend myself, then my body would have a "no looting" flag set, so that only conscenting PvPers have the right to loot each other. I don't want to be "classed" as a PvPer simply because I am in an area doing nothing but minding my own business. I want to go in to public areas, but I don't want to PvP, if the PvPing community "knows" since I am not defending myself, therefor I will not be looted, then maybe they will move on to someone who will ablige them and put up a fight. I would hate to think that this great new game will have the same old same old thing as Killing innocents for reward and grieffing.

Now about an Auction House, I no longer feel an AH would be good, but I do feel that Vendor owners should maintain their sales inventory, so I would like to propose an system where the "sales" have a limited time, say 24hr, 48hr, 72hrs, then the item goes into a "no sales" state until the vendor owner chages it back to a new sales. I don't want to see vendor owners simply using their vendors as "storage" places. Never checking their stock ever, and never comomg online to maintaine their vendors.

I would also like to see the ability for a Buyer to "make an offer", sort of "bidding" but the owner has the right to refuse the offer or they can sell it for the offered price, this way the seller would still have full control over the sale, but at the same time see what the buyers are willing to pay.

5. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

Player elected mayors for each city. Or at least NPC mayors and town officials. I think adding a hint of politics in the game would make it more realistic.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'm going to live in the woods...:(

Time Lord, Sir Stile Teckel and rild like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Politics has many forms. What we expect from politics in our democratic systems would be quite different if compared to principalities. I think SotA should be made up mostly of principalities, and tribes rather than having complex republics like we have today. Remember there was cataclysm that happened a few hundred years back that changed the whole world.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. beck7422

beck7422 Avatar

I personally enjoy Auction Houses as ways to make the cash I need to buy unique items that I don't want to spend an eternity farming. I hate going through the same dungeon more than a few times for any reason.

That said, Auction Houses should be relatively rare and only in the biggest cities. They probably shouldn't be linked to each other even though that is more convenient for someone like me.

In cities or towns on or near oceans or connection of major rivers, maybe the Auction Houses can specialize in bulk fishing supplies. Have fishing supplies be more expensive the farther you are from a major river.

Speaking of major rivers, they should either have Engineering marvel bridges or ferries that cost money to cross. That might not work for fast travel, but at least for the first time going into a city that lies in the middle of where several rivers cross there should be some challenge or price to access it.

9. Feioka

Feioka Avatar

In-game checkers, chess, Corn-hole, Horse Shoes. Horse races, or even arenas with a betting system on the outcome of the winner.

10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I was thinking about booby trapping my ore.
    The problem with that you have to disarm the trap before you could move your ore again.

So just an idea maybe to get around this.
    Explosive Bugs.
    So there are some bugs out in the wild that you can catch.
    These bugs take a liking to the owner.
    You can put these bugs in things you don't want others to touch.
    So maybe I want to put these in a pile of ore or wood while out getting resources.
    If someone tries to come by and take some then BOOM. "Must of been a bug"
    I doubt you would want them in your bag to stop thieves since you would blow up with the thief.

Bugging the phone might have a whole new meaning. :)

11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Whatever the NPC is wearing should be able for loot if killed.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TigerKhan likes this.
  12. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Gear that you wont mind losing all that much in order to make crafters a truly viable playstyle.

13. vjek

vjek Avatar

I agree, with the following caveats:
    • The equipment is not directly sellable to an NPC for gold, after looting
    • The equipment requires repair before being used, or you salvage it.
    • The repaired equipment can be used for appearance, only.
    If you find a full suit of armor, great. You can now repair it or salvage it. If you repair it (and the repair is not free!) , and it's visible equipment, it can go into appearance slots. If it's not visible equipment, you can salvage it. If you salvage it, the resources from it can be used to craft new "whatever" (armor, weapons, furniture, cutlery, etc). That's it.

14. Avatar the Avatar

since this really isn't chronological with Ultima, that sounds like a good Idea to me too. Even subraces like aasimur, or dark elf(an example of other games, but not exactly that because those specific subraces have already been done)

15. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

Transparency and availability of information regarding offered or wanted items are like a... double-edged sword. While it makes it easier to find the best bargain or business opportunity for everybody, it also reduces/eliminates both the advantages of plot placement and offering your own set of commodities for... everybody. It is part of the experience to find out which vendors have good prices. Knowing the prices and making the prices becomes two separate competencies. A medieval setting with an ad-hoc world-wide price transparency sounds silly to me. Even the online availability of prices of a single town is a very far stretch, I think. Maybe some augury magic can help, but I don't really see how. And even if somehow made plausible... the fact that I can make a stupid investment by not knowing of the existence of a better offer... sounds really nice to me :) But maybe I am a minority there.

NirAntae, tearjerker and Devoid like this.
  16. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

On second thought... I like real-live auctions. They are prepared weeks in advance, are visited by a large number of interested parties and a localized, social happening. And they are not always-ongoing but weekly or monthly events with hundreds/thousands of items. Maybe something like this - taking into account the huge number of people and different timezones - can be devised for SotA.

tearjerker likes this.
  17. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

See the poll that was conducted here:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-non-human-races-be-playable-in-sota-poll.79/

If you're not into the Dev+ forums, 73% of the 88 respondees were against having non-human playable races. The main reason being that a LB game is centered on the concept of an avatar which is you being transported into another world. There were many other pros and cons considered. Also, it might not be the best to try to incorporate this as a feature in Episode 1. Plus, non-human races has kinda been done to death in other RPG's, and transporting dwarves and elves just because every RPG has to have them doesn't make sense with the fact that every game should have a unique story.

Now I'm NOT wanting to restart the discussion on this topic - there are other threads, but just sharing that this is a topic that has been discussed quite a bit.

TigerKhan likes this.
  18. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I'll more than gladly play an Undead character, preferably if I can side with all the other Undead mobs that (possibly) constitute a threat to New Britannia.

Time Lord, BillRoy and TigerKhan like this.
  19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I'm assuming that was said tongue in cheek, but it's a good example. As this is a LB game, you'd have to ask yourself how the virtue system then works for an undead character.

20. Arrochar

Arrochar Avatar

Developer/GM interaction in game. Planned events are ok on rare occasion; random, spontaneous events and appearances are far better. In the earliest days of UO it was not an uncommon occurence for developers and GMs alike to spontaneously appear around the world in various forms, and it was part of the fun of having the originial sandbox game. Sure, you missed out sometimes, but back then the staff seemed to actually take community interaction seriously, and you always knew that you could expect more at some point. Nowadays everyone has to win, everyone feels entitled to participate and experience every little thing, but they just don't know that missing out makes the times you do catch something all the more memorable. Everything in today's games is centered on material wealth, but talk to the gamers and ask them what sticks out the most about their gaming experiences... I'd wager 80% describe some version of farming/grinding for something better so that they/their guild can do something bigger. Talk to any of the alpha/beta/'96 UO players and ask them to describe their gaming experience... I'd wager 100% describe some version of what I call social wealth - yes, people still strove for that horse, or that boat, or that bigger house; but we played the game for both the social and emotional experience and that's what kept us invested. I'm sure that's why a lot of us are here. Everything looks great, sounds great, and hopefully will turn out to play great, but that little bit of active engagement from the faces behind the game really makes us (or at least me) want to match that commitment to a project that we both clearly want to see succeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.