Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver Angel

Silver Angel Avatar

A few ideas:

- Renting rooms at a tavern or inn since housing plots will be limited.

(Rent the room from the Keeper of the establishment and rent is paid to the Keeper. Room sizes to rent vary by the available space the inn or tavern has. Examples: Small Basement Room, Small Attic Room, Large Attic Room, 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom with sitting area, 2 bedroom, and 2 bedroom with sitting area. Rooms can be furnished by the Keeper or unfurnished for players to decorate how they wish.)

I used to practically live in the Wayfarer's Inn in Britain back on UO before I could even afford a house deed and find a location to place my house, so this would definitely be a wonderful option idea in my opinion for those who want a place to put their items they collected on their journey, but unable to buy a house.

- Bazaars/Markets

(Mostly for the players who have no housing whatsoever or live in an inn or tavern. Vendor buys a stall and hires an NPC to sell their wares.)

- Town Cryers

(Mostly found in Towns of coarse, will shout out things going on inside town, or if anything is going on near the town's exterior vicinity, ie. Dragons or massive amount of undead spotted, or something as simple as a group about to put on a play at such in such time on such and such day.)

- Books or Scrolls for writing

(Loved those back on UO and loved that others want to see them too, very fun to write about your view on how a hunt went in the woods, or how successful a dungeon crawl went.)

- Tavern or Innkeeper gossiping or telling rumors of something occurring locally.

- Bards in Taverns

(This idea was something I got from Skyrim... Bard in the tavern played an instrument, told a story or sung a song. Would also be great if you noticed other people in the tavern as well, you asked to be hired by the Tavern Keeper to do something, a tip jar is placed that could only be picked up by the person who initiated the conversation with the Keeper, and players can contribute tips if they thought the player put on a good performance. Once player picks up their tips, bard NPC goes back to their original performance scripts.)

jondavis likes this.
  2. XPorter

XPorter Avatar

Hello everyone,

I would just like to say, everyone so far have made some awesome suggestions. I am finding it hard to suggest my own because so many great ones have been put out there already. I would like to say I really like slamelov's idea of Bounty Hunters and Player Killers being punished. There definitely should be system in place for that.

On to my suggestions:
    - Changing of hair styles/facial hair
    - Back Packs; actual backpack asset that displays on characters; many variations
    - Sword and dagger sheaths (please, no swords sticking or hovering on backs and thighs)
    - Horses and horse riding
    - Hunting with tracking skill with the ability to collect skins and meat for trade
    - Resource collecting; wood (trees), Ore (mining) etc...
    - Underwater caves/dungeons/cities!

3. Arthain

Arthain Avatar

An expansive Housing Market.

I like the idea of unlimited housing, but the more housing there is in an area the more expensive it becomes.

For example say a village comes with 30 open lots (just picked a random number). Those 30 lots are all the same base price. However after those 30 lots are taken up new lots can be purchased, or perhaps even created and built. I'm not sure the size difference between a village and a town but say 30 or even 60 lots are purchased in that village after the fact. Perhaps it could 'upgrade' into a town. Villages, towns and cities aren't static. They grown and shrink based on desirability. As the size of a village grows to the same size as a town, so to do the price of the new lots so that by the time the village is town size the lots now cost as much as a standard town lot.

This would allow for everyone to eventually have a house, even if it becomes more expensive later on. This is great because you could actually have people come together and grow a village, town, or heck even a city into something even grander than it was before.

It would allow guilds and clans and large groups of individuals to not have to worry about not being able to settle near each other. This has the possibility of opening up a lot of interesting things in the future.

4. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

I am very excited about the newly revealed strech goal of interactive music instruments! I don't give a darn about weather - but music instruments, yeah!

I definitely want to have a lute in my backpack, and a clavichord or such in my home! Think of concerts, small sessions etc, maybe as yet another way of earning your money?

Or .. as we get technology mix-in, maybe something like a steam-powered pipe organ? Make it a steam-club/disco, sort of. Endless possibilities.

Oh - and anyone forming an in-game RIAA/GEMA will be executed at once by the bouncer ^^

DavenRock likes this.
  5. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

Edgardo posted this over on the KS page and I thought it was worth placing here as well.

"Another idea that would be interesting is to have a fighting arena with sponsored tournaments throughout the week, with the winner getting a land deed. That would foster PvP play, reward character build and skill, and be quite exciting, especially if the fights could be watched by the public. Knowing what is at stake (a land deed) would make the final very interesting, that plus the combatants would be seasoned to get to that stage, so we would see what a fight between two top players looks like."

Personally, I don't know if the prize needs to be a land deed but I like the general idea.

DavenRock likes this.
  6. Striker

Striker Avatar

I would love a system where there's more focus on skill than gear. One of the best things about UO (and what I hate most about any MMO since) is the ability to play while wearing something fairly unique and fashionable. (I preferred to play a barefoot mage in a kilt. No special bonus gear needed. Ahhh...the good old days. :)

7. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I would like to see a few more incentives for the elite pledging groups.

1) Special outfit for the Citizens. Lords, Barons, and Dukes should get robes showing their status.
    2) Special access in Lord British's castle for Lords, Barons, and Dukes.

3) It would be nice to customize our personal tombstones to add a name and a short saying. This would promote people actually reading each others.

8. Grom

Grom Avatar

I would like to see the ability to have a *large* group of people work towards homesteading a location and turning it into a village. It would need to require lots and lots of time, money and possibly the right combination of high level skills. Also, the locations would need to be some-what pre-determinable for the sake of continuity and story.

But to have the option of building your own home, albeit in middle of nowhere, would help provide long-term group goals and help alleviate some of the foreboding of knowing the number of lots is forever set and nothing a player can do will ever change that.

jondavis likes this.
  9. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

- Loot Me When Im Dead Plz.

- I wanna be The Bad Guy Red Pk Murder and make a great collection of heads.

- Pick Pocket.

- RPG = FREEDOM.

10. Stevro

Stevro Avatar

I know you said one line but, here is my top 10 in no specific order
    1 - Random Item Properties (No Arties).
    2 - Limited Item Insurance (expensive as well).
    3 - Not all items should be craftable it kills PvM, you should need to find items too.
    4 - Seasonal Weather Changes ( Ice on water in winter = access to new areas).
    5 - Rares.
    6 - Skill Based Progression, Not Levels.
    7 - Local voice chat, (if you are close enough to hear people, like real life).
    8 - Food and Water, or you die.
    9 - Mounts.
    10 - Mindbogglingly deep, pitch black nasty dungeons. (You should think twice before entering in fear of getting lost and killed).

11. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

With regards to PvP

There is obviously a large group of people in favour of PvP and a large group apposed to it. I think that we can all have our cake and eat it to, and here is why. Given that this is going to be one shard and you are only going to see a handful of relevant people at any given time any ways (remember this is NOT an MMO) it is a pretty simple matter to ensure that PKers only see other PKers or those who are open to being PK'd. For those who have no interest in PvP you will never see them and they will never see you. You were never going to see the vast majority of people playing online at any given time any ways so it really is a non-issue.

There will likely be thousands of people playing at the same time so I highly doubt players will have any problem finding enough PvP friendly players to interact with.

The only requirement I would add is that players are not allowed to switch between PvP friendly and non-PVP status while in an instance. For example you cannot switch status in the middle of a battle or in the depths of a dungeon. You would have to return to the overworld or possibly a town first.

jondavis and DavenRock-MGT470 like this.
  12. Omni

Omni Avatar

One of my favorite features in UO was the ability to Mark Runes. Will we still be able to do that?

13. Nextgener

Nextgener Avatar

All I really need is a good Customizable UI and an Epic RPG story to be Satisfied.

Given your history, I trust that won't be a problem. (I hope)

14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

How about a few dangerous cities that promote pvp by flagging players within a certain radius?

Maybe even have it as an online open exclusive so when your playing in friend only mode or single player mode, players that would not normally appear begin show.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Glimbel

Glimbel Avatar

No idead if it has already been said but :

- The need for everyone to drink and eat.

16. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Have hot spot danger zones that allow people from the online open mode to show up in the other two modes.

Time Lord and jondavis like this.
  17. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Can we get Virtues added to the forums please.

My first idea for virtues is forgiveness. If a player is adapt at forgiveness then once a day he/she can trade deaths with a murderer.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Robert Reise2

Robert Reise2 Avatar

In game Biographies/Backstories

Player Made Books

Presets and builds for Combat and Gear

19. Dienekes

Dienekes Avatar

Things I would like to see:

1. Full loot, regardless of how PvP is handled.

2. Guild v Guild open-world PvP.

3. EXTREMELY limited number of houses.

4. Maker's mark on high-end, player crafted items.

5. No global chat or auction house.

6. Mark / Recall spells or scrolls.

7. Skill based, as opposed to gear based, combat in PvE and PvP.

8. A death system similar to UO in that you have to re resurrected and then run back to your body.

9. Ranged, melee, magic, and bardic combat skills.

10. Interdependent crafting skills. Tinker posion traps in UO are a good example of this. Making those from scratch from start to finish involved five different crafting skills.

20. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

1. OK
    2. There should also be PVP and non-PVP guilds
    3. NEVER. Housing is very important to quite a few, also helps build community
    4. Definitely
    5. ?
    6. Makes things a little easy but OK
    7. OK, combat in PVE and PVP? huh?
    8. No corpse runs. Too easily leads to griefing issues
    9. OK
    10. OK

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.