Feeback from a (former) loyal customer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

In part, I have both praise and concerns with particular issues in the handling of the game’s development, but am still highly optimistic it’s long view will be successful.

There are those who present their praise and raise their concerns in classy fashion. There are those who are repeat acts - I probably fall into this occasionally.

However, @Brugas does have some valid points on one end of the spectrum.

Having witnessed a few forum meltdowns and other forum posts elsewhere of vile and ill intent, there is an undercurrent from those who just want to see the world burn.

A blanket reintroduction of previously banned accounts is probably not wise and best only done on a case by case basis.

3devious, Brugas and Metlore like this.
  2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Gentle reminder to stop bashing each other. Focus on what you like about the game and where you want improvement.

Trying to correct each other's behavior will not end well.

With that said there are valid points on both sides.

Please let us all be tolerant of critique. On the other hand when leveling critique please focus on the game itself, try to keep other players and the developers out of your assessment / feedback. That will only cloud the issue you are trying to highlight.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What... Are you saying I can't voice my opinion???

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'm not sure that you fully do, but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I am confused by your statement of looking at the presented evidence. You haven't presented any (at least not that I have seen in this thread) outside of conjecture and speculation. Simply saying, "Look around the forums, the evidence is there." is not a good way to provide evidentuary support to your argument. A link, for example, would be a good way to start. :)

Secondly, what are you referring to when you say I don't need an account to view these things? Do you mean Facebook?

No Brugas, I wouldn't, because that is not my personality. Everyone is different and every person has a reason for why they choose to do what they do. Until I engage them in open and honest discourse, it is impossible for me to ascertain where they are coming from. Otherwise, I would be judging them for surface or superficial reasons. Humans are slightly more complicated than that my friend. Maybe they are stirring up trouble, then again maybe their not, maybe they want a different pulpit from which to voice their opinions, you aren't going to know unless you talk to them.

Thank you Brugas. I appreciate where you are coming from as well and salute your blind devotion! I apologize profusely if my eagerness to promote positive dialogue between two disparate entities is not helpful. ;)

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ultimately, who cares what they want.

Healthy discussion, if its all done in good faith, is good for the game and the community, regardless of whether troublemakers want it and whether think it will cause trouble. And a paranoid attitude about "social engineers" is bad for the game and the community, at least IMO.

The forum mods have their job to do; to make sure people are participating in good faith, not doing personal attacks, not spamming topics, and whatever else leads to the forums going off the rails. But prior to this thread going up, there was some murmur about the "recent negativity" on the forums, and then several threads getting closed. Yet, I never saw a huge negativity problem on the forums, and I felt the threads that had some contentious comments in them were resolving themselves pretty quickly, people's feelings were getting sorted out, and there wasn't much need to worry about locking them.

I think the OP didn't understand why one was locked, either, and that's what led to his post. Early in development we did have pretty rancorous threads going off the rails for 100+ pages. But we were nowhere near there. There's a middle ground between letting the forums descend into chaos, and seeing every combative post as a problem to be fixed. Sometimes the people who try to fix the negativity by trying to knock down combative forum participants contribute to the problem.

Mykll, Fauxpas, Metlore and 2 others like this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Then you've never fully analysed when I choose to become acerbic.

7. Derium

Derium Avatar

lol. I just received a warning point for being needled.

Perhaps you should actually address the problems a few of your fanboys have on your forms. Remember; toxic environments are bad, right? Or are they just giving you so much money that they have purchased their "rights" to be abusive to others and skate away with it? <- that's a serious question.

3devious, Corv and Mykll like this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, not here, you wouldn't have.

9. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Maybe you honestly missed some of these, here is one:
    You can read the the various articles of other reddit/raw remarks on Shroud of the Avatar as well.
    You can read these as well and even see some of the same peeps and stuff leveled at SotA and the gaming community: https://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/shroud-of-the-avatar

Now, before I close... let's get back to "assumptions". How can you say that what I'm saying is all assumption when you're not even looking at the information presented or at least researching it for yourself. These statements just don't come out of the air. They are not only held by me, but many of the community that actually sees it going on, but very few want to even bother with the good fight of challenging it or fighting against it. I don't blame them, it's like an uphill battle with it.
    But there is some of if. Hope you actually read and do some research on it before dismissing it as well. There are plenty of other sites if you really want to see.

10. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

^^ this right here... Just a case in point. It's not making anything better and it's not toxic if you actually construe your complaints in a valid, non-inflammatory way. That's been one of my major points.

Duke Gréagóir and 2112Starman like this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

If you are so worried about them over there why are you providing links to send people there? Can we not just have a discussion here about here and what is said here without sending people there? It seems like Rufas, Starman, and you spend a lot of time there reading things. Maybe thats what they want you to do? It has poisoned you it seems because now you bring that discussion here.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

but you are inflaming it. You are bringing the RAW argument here, to these forums instead of having a natural discussion without prejudice.

Xul Rasha, Xandra7, 3devious and 6 others like this.
  13. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

beat me to it

14. Derium

Derium Avatar

I agree, for the most part. But what is your expectations if I needle you in a condescending way, then request you do not reply in kind, but rather you must keep it proper. This is also AFTER I PM you further egging you on by calling you stupid?

Because you know, that's where I am. So yeah, Starr knows about this 'guy', the Mod who PMed me knows about them, but you know. They do nothing about it.

So if they won't, then whatever. It just means since he skirts around the rules since the rules are not well written, I can also do the same in kind.

If you don't want someone complaining about the mess, then clean your room. In this case the mess is some fanboys and the room are the forums.

Corv, Mykll and Blake Blackstone like this.
  15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

We can probably stop throwing stones at each other, less the mountains will just collapse on us all.

16. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

Darkstarr asked nicely. This post is getting too personal and off-topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.