Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback about the refine materials skill (milling)

Discussion in 'Release 50 QA Feedback Forum' started by Athanil, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

So i took it upon myself to test out the new milling skills since i plan on picking them up next release. I got up to level 113 for the refine materials skill (milling) before it became too boring to continue. The other 2 skills are only at 40, but it's quite clear what they do. So i did not raise them any further. Love them though.

I ran into some things i have some questions / feedback about for that last skills though. I'll put them in no particular order.

- Is there a bonus for going beyond GM? I made it to level 113, but it still give the same bonus of 1 extra piece of timber when you trigger the success chance. Is there something at a higher level or is it not worth it?

Suggestion: If there isn't another bonus, perhaps it could be made so that the recipe requires less materials. I imagine that if you have mastered your craft you will waste less resources.

- The percentage chance of success is correct. Tested it out by milling thousands of wood. At GM the skill gives a 20% chance and that holds completely true. 1 out of 5 chances usually has the bonus.

- Why doesn't the refine material chance work on other items besides timber? I'm still processing the items like boards by milling them aren't i? Would makes sense if they to had a chance for the bonus.

- There is no difference between batching or single crafting at all. You have the same bonus for both.

Suggestion: Add some incentive to single craft, may as well remove single craft from refining skills if you don't. And no, i don't consider 20 xp for crafting each timber or 100 xp for a exceptional crafting a good incentive. I'll gladly single craft if it would give a refining material chance bonus of say..5%.

That's all i have for now, hope it helps!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Athanil, a couple of comments.

Regarding boards, you are processing wood any more but the timber that was produced from the wood. Since you aren't processing the raw material any longer, you are considered no longer wring the raw material. This is even indicated by the recipe being in the components section of the recipe book and not the refine materials section.

I was originally thinking that the amount of bonus materials should increase beyond 1 as you got better at refining. At 1 to that's about 100 pieces every 500 pieces. That seems like a decent return. What might be interesting is a random chance to get more than 1 extra piece that scales based on skill level.

3. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Perhaps, but i see it like this. You use a sawmill to create timber from wood. I see that refine material skill as your "mastery" of that device. You use that same device for the boards and since you've "mastered" milling it should also apply somewhat to boards don't you think? I know that it's not likely to change though, but one can try.

I like this idea. Currently you are getting the same bonus for al levels (unless it happens at a level higher then 113), which feels a bit stale. Give people incentive to go beyond GM and really master their craft. This could certainly be one of the options.

Elwyn likes this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

There is a bonus for going beyond GM... the % chance to get extra materials increases. The amount of materials does not increase though.

5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Last skill in refinement doesnt increase the number of materials you get it increases the chance of getting that 1 extra timber .. at lvl 100 you get 20% to get that 1 extra mat ...its around 2.4 mil xp to get there. 100-120 only adds like 3% extra chance and i assume its probably 20 mil xp cost to get there.

Is it worth it ? Sure if you got the XP .

Paladin Michael likes this.
  6. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Yea, going beyond GM really isn't encouraged at all. 100 to 120 sees a 2,5% increase. We need more incentives to make crafting specialization worth it, a 2,5% increase to a chance to get a extra item is not it sadly.

Edited my OP for clarity. Thanks for pointing it out.

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

My old suggestion and pet peeve has been that GM should get some scraps every now and then, like when they roll exceptional.
    Part of the trade skill is knowing how to use bits and pieces of the cuts and the molds etc.

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Wait so, the bonus only applies to the BASE item? Can this be clarified?
    Ie cotton spool from cotton ....yes
    Carapacian spool ? Its still making a spool....

If it only applies to base cotton/leather/wood I see no reason to bother with these skills except for maybe smelting...

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

It works on tier 2 materials, as long as it's refinement. So yes, should work on carapacian spools (actually, I know someone that tested this and it worked).

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Does this mean that smelting will only effect copper, iron, silver and gold and it WON'T effect bronze, meteoric, white iron or constantin?

Edit: already answered! thank you.

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Thanks Robyn, that settles my blood pressure a bit.
    Just going to go on QA and have a nosy now....

Hornpipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.