Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback: Atmosphere and Decor in Taverns (and other NPC buildings)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Carlin the Druid Archer, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

As per my last post, firstly, great work guys! Loving the progress from R1 to R2 :)

Atmosphere and Decor in Taverns
    My feedback here is around the lack of atmosphere in the Taverns. Probably just a pre-alpha thing, but I'd like to raise it just to make sure you're placing importance on this.

Atmosphere is very important to me in an RPG game - it's what hooked me on U7.

In the Pre-Alpha R2 I find the taverns seem very bland. There's not enough decoration's and utilities around (and where's the kitchen? how about putting a cooking crafting station somewhere :) ) Here's a snapshot of what I mean:

[​IMG]

Couldn't there be a picture on the wall, or an ornamental sword, a rug on the floor, some smoke in the air? A bard in the corner playing his lute? Bottles of wine on the tables? Take a look at this image from another RPG as an example of the atmosphere I'd like to 'feel' when I enter the tavern:
    [​IMG]

2. Carlin the Druid Archer

Perhaps once a few more NPCs are placed in the taverns along with Avatars it will liven things up a bit too.

3. Carlin the Druid Archer

Anyone else have ideas for adding atmosphere to taverns etc?

Jambo, sheetrock1 and Time Lord like this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely need more types of entertainers (i.e., musicians, jugglers, mimes, etc.) and more servers. I would like to see some tables specifically set up for card games and board games (such as chess or backgammon). A dart board would be great as well. More lighting (torches or lanterns) too.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Great post, Carlin! I think they just haven't gotten around to the "polish" phase of the game. At least I hope so anyways, because I do agree that the decor of all the NPC buildings definitely need a lot of work. More NPCs, more decor, more atmosphere.

One day, I hope to enter FireLotus Tavern one rainy night and see it filled with adventurers and NPCs and smoke from the candles. Grab a seat and listen to the local bard play some tunes. Right now, we're not there yet but I hope so prior to launch! :)

6. Carlin the Druid Archer

Tables for games would be great, but I think they probably have their hands full with the core development work - would be a great added extra though! I'm playing a lot of backgammon at the moment so a table for this would interest me - with the ability to wager gold.

7. Carlin the Druid Archer

Apparently 'facial rigging' is coming soon to NPCs (and Avatars?) so that will go some way to giving taverns more atmosphere as the people start showing some life.

8. Birko

Birko Avatar

Pre Alpha R2? Might be a bit of a song yet to be sung.

9. Cosmos

Cosmos Avatar

Yes indeed, the atmosphere is currently rather "flat". Personally I think it is more important than graphics point even if beautiful graphics contribute to the quality of the atmosphere.

I think (or hope) that it will be corrected, because I can not imagine the solo game without it, which would benefit to the online version.

10. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

This is actually excellent shot which aptly illustrates why I think many people find the graphics overall look "dated". If you look at you screen grab, the lighting is flat. There is no dynamic range at all.

11. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

smoke is always good. Old wizard smoking pipe. People playing cards. Table games of any kind. Skinny man playing piano. Surly man slumped in corner. Women of the night trying to get friendly. Candles or lanterns and darker lighting for sure. Dart boards. Salty peanuts.

12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Other than that one candle on the bar, were there any lighting elements in that room ? I failed to check during R2.

Probably adding some additional lighting sources would help distinguish the effect from the ambient which we are seeing now. Added light sources definitely helped accentuate the decorating of my player house.

Just need the level builder to go in and add some more depth, when they have time. :)

13. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Maybe this just pertains to Fire Lotus Tavern and Bear Tavern will be some hopping madness with beautiful women, bards, spilled beer and ruckus ;)

14. Carlin the Druid Archer

@Doppelganger, I tried to join Bear Tavern but the website just said "You can't submit the form" or something like that and there was no form visible on the page.

Jambo, Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  15. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Try using "register" on the top right corner of the Bear Tavern home page, rather than "joining the tavern guild". Once you're registered you should have access.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  16. Tane Mahuta

Tane Mahuta Avatar

Yes, the atmosphere in the game is crucial - needs to be a rich, vibrant world full of 'things'... that was the appeal of Ultima 7. The world felt lived in, with the inhabitants going about daily routines and lots of things you could manipulate, like harps, chests etc.

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My only concern is the ability to handle flow through traffic. Swinging doors could be made, "But that's Way too Western"... but as long as there's no bumping into each other on the way in or out.... "I Love Those Carlin Archer Designs"!
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

18. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I am not sure but i think the Dev team is having trouble with the framerate and polys inside the game engine, Owls head and Kingsport both ran slowly around the town areas, I think they want to add much more detail but cannot due to the increase in polygons, I am not sure about the Unity engine and how it works but as an old modder some of the mapping was pretty poor for multiplayer areas, Cutting down on polys to me would be a priority, Things like steps would need to go, and windows where the engine can see into houses drawing polys that don't need to be drawn, Unity mostly works with pre-made models imported from blender and 3Dmax, Like the houses for example, The houses all have high polys it would seem and low detail because of this. I truly hope they can get over this problem and wonder why they ultimately went for this engine and not one of the new engines running Voxel graphics like Landmark that can shift trillions of points of detail? (budget i guess!)

19. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Adding Atmosphere to Taverns:
    I completely suspect that the polish and finishing touches aren't implemented yet. They've got more important things to deal with BUT I'm glad to see a feedback thread. I'll toss in a couple of my ideas...

What's a tavern without music? Very bland and sometimes nerve racking. Taverns in different areas of the world should have their own types of music and/or entertainment.

Traveling minstrel/bard
    - Acts like a jukebox (pay to request a song)
    - Might have information on quests
    Instruments lying about that a player could pick up and use
    - What if the player tries to walk out with the instrument that is not his?
    - Will the tavernkeeper/bouncer let him just walk out with it? Will they call the guards? Will they not serve you again?
    Board games, darts, dice, poker, blackjack, etc. Drinking games.

Atmospheric effects such as...
    - Smoke
    - Fog
    - Small vermin/insects
    - Lighting

NPCs
    - Women (and men) of the night
    - Drunkards stumbling about, that might mumble some interesting information but then pass out and can't be spoken to for several hours.
    - A guard that comes in every so often to check on the rabble

Interactive items
    - The games and instruments mentioned above
    - Bounty/bulletin board
    - Silverware/food on the tables

These are just some ideas I had for now. Must...hit....post...reply.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

All the above ideas are great. I'd also like to see (hear) the sounds of people chattering in the background. It would really add to the atmosphere of a crowded, thriving tavern.

And also : every good tavern needs a large, roaring fire to eat, drink and be merry by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.