Feedback from a New Player :)

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by SwooOOosh, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

This game is fun! It is coming along great for 9M! The potential for tons of vibrant community created content is amazing!! ;)

My thoughts - (since Attenwood asked for feedback and I'm pretty new...):

- When I went on the Courage path it was night, and with my not-the-most-awesome-graphics hardware it was difficult to see, especially the weapons rack. On the Truth path, it was day and so much easier.
    --On the subject of the Truth path, I really like that the only path seemingly is to loot dead bodies, but in reality an Elven Mirror is in the dresser. :) hehehe I did not loot any bodies, I found it in the dresser... The path of Truth is there without forsaking Virtue to those who search for it hehehe :) Excellent implementation.

2. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

I think I will just write my thoughts one post at a time. ...easier:D

- When I started this release R30, the new targeting mode was active by default. I like this new mode, I was able to play on my laptop in the garage with my wife (she knitts) :) However, I did not know how to switch back to the normal mode and thus have a mouse pointer to close the many helpful hints that thankfully appear. I resorted to opening the chat window to close the hints until I read through enough of the Help guide to find Tab. :)

3. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

- I love the sandbox that is SotA... Like a blank flat area of sand it can be wherever your creativity takes you; some kids will dig a hole... and some kids will built an amazing castle with the same resources hehehe :)
    -- While it would be nice to have a walk through of this Sandbox, it is awesome without restriction and also without guidance (and so should be, like a sandbox... throw the sand at your mom if you want!) hehehe :D

- It is nice to have the opening area be one that is real easy with many real easy enemies that don't really wont hurt so one can get a feel for the combat and movement without fear of dying. One needs to know what their skills look like, cooldown times, damage vs focus cost, etc... ;)

4. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

- I was running through the Brightbone Pass when I came upon another newer player fighting a Hardened Skeleton Fighter (I think hehehe). It had become close battle, and either one of them could have been dead! I was actually invisible and thought it would be fun to appear out of nowhere with a Healing Spell... :) However my healing spell did not heal him :( I think because he was not in my friends or party, I never having seen him before.
    -- It would be great if the Healing Spell healed free of restriction. Hehehe :) Friend and foe and whoever was in its range!

-- Thou are a skilled and powerful mage. Thou are in the heat of a mortal battle with a ferocious enemy people, when thou look, and see upon the crest of a hill thy wounded friend in dire need! For a wicked one, also wounded, has gotten the advantage in battle and there remains but a moment of life left in thy dear friend. Will you show Love and heal thy friend with thy powerful skill, knowing that this will also heal thy mortal enemy?

Of course you do! Heal thy friend, that you may not lose thy friend! And then show Courage and stab thine mortal enemy in the face with thy weapon! :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I love your feedback! May I suggest that you open a new thread when you have a change of topic? You can certainly post all your feedback into one thread if you prefer to do so, but it may not get the attention it deserves when important feedback is "hidden" at the bottom of an existing thread.:)

Regarding the healing mechanism: We used to be able to heal anyone, and I really enjoyed it. I met some nice players that way, and I was always glad to be the recipient of a heal. As far as I know changes were made to prevent people not flagged for PVP from healing their PVP friends in battle, thus giving them an advantage. And somewhere along the way, everyone was prevented from healing others not in their party. I seem to remember Chris (the Dev) saying that the healing functionality will be changed to prevent healing PVPers, but that anyone else will be subject to third party healing. This may not happen however, since many players have presented valid reasons for not wanting to be healed by anyone under any circumstances. Some players have suggested that a game option be added which would allow players to toggle the ability to be healed on and off. That way no one would be healed against their will.

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I absolutely agree you should be able to heal someone even if they are not in your party.

Stahlknecht, Womby and Solazur like this.
  7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Which beginning scenes did you believe the enemies might be too difficult on? We had purposefully reduced health and damage on many of these starting spawns to allow for easier combat testing, or is the issue more that they don't seem to come back, or there are too few to get a really good feel for? Thanks for all the feedback.

8. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

Hi Kara! Thanks, and thanks for the info, that makes total sense. :) hehehe it goes to show the depth of the game...

9. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

Hi Attenwood! I think you are right on your last statement, I felt like I wanted a better feel for the combat, so more of the same easy enemies. Lots of enemies, easy to kill... ;) but not to many at the same time..! hehehe

The game really is very good, I think you guys are doing a great job. It is fun to play, explore, and talk with all the NPCs, and it will be super nice when you are done filling out and polishing up all the quests! :D

SotA is an awesome game, and it has a learning curve; I think maybe one challenge is to facilitate the learning curve without taking away from the game. Perhaps something like causing the Starting Quest NPCs, gate switches, weapon racks, etc to shine/sparkle slightly like a resource. ...only the starting ones though hehehe:) Or any other idea to help familiarize new people with game mechanics and facilitate just the beginning learning curve, because the learning curve is one of the things that makes SotA so rich and fun! ;)

Thanks for all your great work!

10. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

Hi, Feedback from a New Player:
    - Because of the cooldown on skills/spells, having a different hotbar for combat vs. non-combat feels clunky. Maybe do away with the hotbar and allow the positioning of skills anywhere on the screen.
    Thanks for reading :),
    Swoosh

11. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

- Hi, Playing a Control Point with a Party is Really Fun..!
    Thanks for reading,
    Swoosh

12. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

- Hi, It would he fun if the Place of the Aunk <--[How to spell that] was a place of Innate Healing..! slightly healing, or more Healing depending on -->[skill ?]
    Thanks for reading,
    Swoosh

13. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

Hi, Hehehe:
    - I just saw a Tinkerer named Crazed Scavenger rushing about the map..., :)
    Hehehe,
    Swoosh

14. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

Oakie Lawrence of Aeire is a Good Man, an Upstanding Gentleman, and a Fine Merchant! :)
    Hehehe,
    Swoosh

15. SwooOOosh

SwooOOosh Avatar

- When I open a chest, a checkbox [ ] on the Window saying -->{Also open Inventory when opening a Container}; and when checked [x], it opens my Inventory every time I open a chest. ;)
    Thanks for reading,
    Swoosh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.