Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback Interior Culling

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Myrcello, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hello Community.

I wanted to give Feedback on Interior Culling.

This little Video is a nice demonstration. Sorry for typing slow in the video and jumping.
    Hard to chat if you hide the chat bar. But i love a clean experience.

I belong to the type of gamer who love realism and atmosphere. It is very very high on my priority list if i like a game or not.

- I 100% understand that the idea is to improve Performance.
    - But feedback from my side is - you destroy allot of realism feel of the Towns. It smacks you in the face if you enter them.
    - I find it very furstrating to know that other players will basically have to enter our houses to see what we decorated. Not being able to see it from the outside.
    - A fire from the inside of a house, a nice decorated table you can see, lights in the nighttime giving the town a living feeling.
    - now we will have all dark windows , live less in the game.

- If you look in the video you basically will walk along empty houses.
    - I find the experience of items suddenly showing up when you enter a house disturbing, not fun.

DarkStarr says they will think of making it optional.

I just give my opinion that i would suggest finding a solution to not even have to make it optional.
    But to increase the Performance but still let us see the housing interior.

Suggestions of a non Developers. So if they are crap, sorry. Just trying:

1. Mayby only let items on the ground level stay, and items on higher floors disappear with the Interior Culling System.
    2. Increase the distance items become visible from the outside more? So if i walk in the middle of the street they are visible.
    3. Interior Culling only turns on if you reach a high Item amount on your Lot.

I know not many suggestions. But even if you make it optional i still think passing naked empty houses like in the video i show is not something to strive for.

By the way. Else as many are posting everywhere i consider besides Interior Culling all "awesome" in R16.

Kind regards

2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence. I value performance over realism. Not much realism if interior objects in houses kills the performance enough that you stutter along on the same street. Beside I typically don't run along the street with my camera tfacing the houses, I usually look ahead and not to the side. As for the doors always open, they could probably automatically close the doors after a few seconds so it would force someone to open the door and not see things pop into view.. Or if someone is home and they've left the doors open then show the items.

Remember that this is the first pass of an incomplete system. Their full development plans haven't been told to us. Hell, they probably don't know how far they can push the system and what they can do with it. If it doesn't work, they will be the first to acknowledge it. But based on their comments and how much performance has increased, I can't see it going away any time soon.

Also they've acknowledged that 'outdoor' areas such as balconies, proches, docks, etc. will be visible without having to cross the lot boundary.

I hope they can push the system far enough that things 'outside' don't pop but work similar to lod, the further away things are from you, the less they have to be visible.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Basement is below ground, I think you mean "1st floor" or "ground floor" or "entrance level".
    Love the suggestion to cull everything on floors above ground level.
    Planned if you look in DarkStarr's responses in the release topic.
    Hmm. That would probably make the best decorated houses the most culled ones... Problematic.

Myrcello likes this.
  4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Thx @Spoon . Corrected to groundlevel now.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I have an older computer, I prefer seeing deco from far away even if I have to turn down the quality settings. There must be a better solution than culling. What I see is we're loading everything but not rendering it, what about not loading till we get to 50 meters & rendering when we get to 30.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Making it optional is a good solution.

7. Net

Net Avatar

I like it being optional. I would love some sort of slider for distance from the lot culling. I think that good performance-realism compromise could be found with such option for many people. culling everything but the house I am really close is bit extreme and not culling anything is big performance hit. Seeing decorations in the nearest houses would be imho nice middle ground, though it should still be only option, some people will want better performance whiel others will want to see even the more distant houses decorated.

Alexander and Myrcello like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I agree - it would be a shame not to be able to see the decorated insides of houses from the street. I hope some other solution is implemented to improve performance.
    Same here. For this very reason I hate to see players running around town in their underwear.

Ice Queen and Net like this.
  9. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Sorry. :) Next time full dressed video

Net and Kara Brae like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We already discussed this internally and I think the plan is two part. First, we'll make it a performance option, not mandatory. People can switch it off if they want.

Second, we're going to make it so placing the object sets the inside/outside state BUT then we let you over ride that if you choose to by right clicking on it.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Love this part. That way we as decorators can get to chose.
    So potentially we could have large/important objects as 'outside' with limited culling, and smaller ones as 'inside' with full culling.

Myrcello likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

It would also let you hide your secret stash of a half dozen, clothes optional hot tubs from casual passer by's! Of course then they might just see a bunch of naked people floating in mid air... :)

13. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

I was going to say, "I think you can make that a toggle." The thought reminded me of the horrendous lag I experienced years ago in Second Life, we got a similar option by being able to choose the load distance from our avatars, among other things.

I really feel you're going in the right direction here - thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.