Feedback lord or lady of the isles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

The castle in Britany (EP1) is Arabella's home. Lord British's castle for EP2 will be in the serpent isles.

2. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Thanks for confirming!

3. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Fair enough - the market will decide if$7,000+ is a fair price even with an added castle reskin. I could be way off and adding a castle design will make them leap off the shelves.

Precisely zero of these have been sold so far, which tells me the package is quite a ways off in term of value proposition. Go compare what original LoTMs got for their $12k and I can see a massive difference. Edit - and by that I mean, look at everything they got versus everything in this package, don’t just look at the house. It isn’t even close. Multiple deeds, stacking houses and rewards, physical goods, akalabeth, etc.

And let’s be honest, the market for these is likely existing high backers - if they gave LoTMs the Arabella castle reskin do you think that would help or hurt sales of LoTI packages?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Bom and StarLord like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They should sell keep and castle size homes on the COTO vendors.

Bom and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Its a little too early to judge. Been up only a few days.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Meaning no disrespect to Portalarium here, but these packages just seemed to fly in the face of what they are trying to achieve with the coto adjustment and the migration of the gold shop off the website into the game - namely, the impression that you need to spend a fortune in RL cash.

Its great if people are buying em... I'm glad devs are getting some money, and I'm glad there are wealthy benefactors out there who can afford to drop this kind of money on virtual goods. I am not judging this - if I had that kind of money where I could realistically justify dropping 8 grand on a few in-game perks, I'd probably do it too. The reality is that most people do not. And I get selling exclusive things so that people will buy it "because its rare" but it does kinda feel like a slap in the face a bit.

The fact that the deed isn't even tax free makes the entire package a bit more dubious. I understood with the blood reliquaries and such, because the tax free large deeds could have been considered an investment, but with these new packages after a year those deeds essentially turn into pumpkins. Big, expensive tax pumpkins. Was a bit surprised at the asking price, with that consideration.

I know as a prospective player, if I saw something - anything - for sale in the virtual shop for $7000 I'd probably give the game a miss. It made sense with pledges, and kickstarter. It made sense with upgrade-able over time bundles. But it feels like these items were just put out there as an act of desperation to get money from a few rich folks. And as I say, if you're independently wealthy and this sort of money is chump change, then by all means yes, please, buy all of these and support the game. But that's going to be applicable to a very very very small % of people. And creates a very very poor perception, namely, that "rich people get the best stuff."

Personally I'd recommend marketing things that are low cost but appeal to many players rather than these big ticket items. If you sold a package with a few unique deco items, a title, and none of the coto/real estate stuff for $10, I'd probably pick it up just to have it and to support the game. I'd drop $100 on a prosperity ingot mold in a heartbeat, even though I know return on investment would likely be years or even never, its adding a convenience. But thousands of dollars isn't something that most people are even going to consider in their wildest dreams. I'll go buy a car instead, or something.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  7. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

honestly think everything is overpriced 7,000$ I just shook my head why would anyone pay that? Rich or not. I used to really want to save and get a keep or castle but they keep changing prices and values on things. My wallet has gone back in my pocket I love sota but I think my new year's resolution is to save money and sit back and watch. With the store changing and IMO only craptastic ep. 2 stretch goals I'm not even sure I want to keep my 9 subs anymore. Let alone go to a real-life bank and ask for a loan for a virtual property. I think Port does an amazing job every month and keeping us informed.

8. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

Chris said people were asking for these so I’m sure those people who were asking has already bought some up.

Sean Silverfoot and Jaesun like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

well, to be fair, I know people with a lot of skin in the game. I'm talking between 10k to 40k. That's probably why they got so mad when the game didn't turn out like they imagined in their heads and it created the headwinds of negativity we suffer with today. So to continue to feed that... I'm just saying...

At the end of the day, the market will decide.

10. Godra

Godra Avatar

Here is my 2 cents... Everything bundled together, may be priced well for some, but overpriced for others. If you take advantage of going to Austin and having dinner with the team, get a tour of the company HQ (which is smaller that the old office from what I understand), get everything else, then you may feel it was money worth spent. However, for me, I wouldn't make it out there and really only care about the Castle Lot Deed. Even if the Castle Lot deed was Tax Free infinity, I wouldn't spend $7,000 for it. The value of a lot of these Founder Tax Free Deeds from the original pledge tiers are so much lower than they were when persistence started. Getting 1,400 COTO's doesn't seem enough either with the changes coming. But my biggest concern is the Dev's still haven't figured it out that the TAXES are one of the biggest issues in this game. Mind you, it maybe Tax Free for 1 year and anything could change by then. They may even have that planed to be reduced by that time or removed from the game entirely. However, its not right now, so you have to assume nothing will change and a huge tax bill is coming. I barely make enough gold in the game just to do a little crafting and buy a few items from someone when I need it. I just about stopped playing because the only way I am going to advance at this point is to group up all the time. I like solo play, like to do things on my own. So basically all I have to look forward to is Single Player Offline and can't see spending much more at this point. At least not those big priced bundles. Just don't see the value in it.

Bom, Boo Ladedada and Sir Frank like this.
  11. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Portalarium will lose the last bit of credibility when tax free deeds (or similar) come back.

Sea Bear and Bom like this.
  12. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

what would you expect ina 7000 $ episode 2 bundle Lord of the isles?

maybe
    + a small private island
    + a shiny fishing boat
    +a large size deed + building that allows boat crafting (long crafting not instant click )
    + a smaller deed with fisherman hut allowing net mass fishing
    + a shiny harpoon + trident
    + ornate compass
    + teleportation ring
    + ornate wooden leg
    + some cotos
    +2 fishermen automate who catch fishes for you

Boris Mondragon and Bom like this.
  13. CICI

CICI Avatar

just make them ep2 TF deed =) meaning only can be tax free in epi 2 lands

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Interesting idea CICI, kinda like eps2 pots.

Bom likes this.
  15. Mandalar

Mandalar Avatar

I don't see why Portalarium couldn't create similar bundles to the Viking, Kobold, Elf bundles etc... They wouldn't necessarily have to create 4 bundles for 4 separate races. maybe four bundles pertaining to the isles them self.
    Row lot house bundle
    Village lot bundle
    Town lot bundle
    City Lot bundle

I think it would be cool if the Town and City Lot bundles came with a new style of ship for the home. I don't think Portalarium would be going back on any promises/guarantees if they made the Isle bundles the same as the other bundles with a tax free POT lot deed. I would also suggest the bundles be priced similarly to the original bundle sets.

16. Godra

Godra Avatar

Also, not sure if it was mentioned anywhere, but why are there 3 different bundles with three different purchase prices with all the items in them the same? Did I miss something?

17. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I would imagine the idea is that if you get in early you can save yourself 500 or 1000 dollars...

Boris Mondragon, Bom and Lained like this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! We have updated the bundles with the following changes:
    • UPDATED: Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land!
    • NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Home (to be revealed later)
    • UPDATED: PLUS Choice of any 1 House currently available in the store
    • NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room (to be revealed later)

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Well done, I think this solves everything.

Jaesun and Senash Kasigal like this.
  20. Lained

Lained Avatar

For clarification would this be a set year period, the accumulative time e.g. placed in an NPC town for six months then moved to a POT would there still be six months of tax free remaining or will it just be a tax credit for a year?

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.