Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback on Quest: Stone Soup [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by Vyrin, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

As always, if I have missed or misstated anything, please add your comments.

The "Stone Soup" quest has three simple steps:

1. Talk to Minerva
    2. Collect ingredients: carrot, onion, potato, and/or mutton meat
    3. Talk to Minerva

But wait, there's more! You receive a book as part of the reward for giving Minerva mutton meat, and this needs to be reviewed as well.

1. Talk to Minerva
    - Not a biggie, but the cooking pot is not on the fire, and Minerva says she is "cooking." Best if the cooking pot could look like it was filled with water.
    - Also, you can pick up the cooking pot, which disconnects you from the rest of the dialogue. Would that these types of things would lead to virtue hits and characters reacting!
    - In response to "help," you trigger the actual quest. Minerva says, "Now that you mention it, we have so many pilgrims coming through Aerie, I could use some additional ingredients for my stone soup." However, I had already used the keywords for onion, carrot, and potato, so she already told me she could use them. "Now that you mention it" doesn't make sense then.
    - BUG Everywhere in the dialogue "Stone Soup" is capitalized except in "help". Food names are only capitalized if they contain a proper noun. Should be lower case in all the responses.
    - The dialogue options for each of the four ingredients, "help," and "ingredients," all basically say the same thing. The response to "rumors" is exactly the same as "mutton," and the "I don't know" response includes the same phrase as well. This raises a philosophical point about how to deal with redundancy in a keyword system. It can be frustrating to go through all the keywords just to get the same response, and you have to go through all the keywords because sometimes they contain important info!
    - Maybe she should have dialogue for "pilgrims"? Her dialogue is as thin as her soup because of the previous.
    - BUG Minerva's goodbye says, "Stop by again if you would like some more soup." Does not makes sense here because she hasn't given you any.

2. Collect ingredients: carrot, onion, potato, and/or mutton meat.
    - Minerva is a stone's throw from Stefan Gros who sells mutton meat. Such an old resident of Aerie has most likely heard of Zoe Cornelly the cooking merchant a short walk away. She is poor, I get it, but this could be an option to expand her dialogue.

3. Talk to Minerva

- BUG In turning in mutton, Minerva says, "I heard it really compliments the flavor." ComplEments is the word you want. Unless that mutton wasn't quite dead and was magically conversational...
    - BUG After turning in potato and using the keyword again, the response is for mutton.
    - I didn't try to turn in multiples of the ingredients, which is suggested initially: "If you find some onions, I could use some for my soup!" II you can only turn in one, the dialogue should be changed for clarity.
    - BUG Minerva's goodbye says, "Stop by again if you would like some more soup." Again, this doesn't make sense if you've turned in the carrot, potato, and onion. Unless you can get more in a way, I couldn't find!
    - The Iolo's Cat Gut Goulash you receive as a reward for the carrot, potato, and onion is a HUGE disconnect. Unless again there is some magic in Minerva's put that turns water and a carrot into an item whose recipe is very different. Which leads me to...
    - Here is a perfect opportunity to learn a NEW recipe that you can't get elsewhere. Call it "stone soup" and make the ingredients the four in this quest. Then for the veggie turn in you can get actual "stone soup." When you turn in the mutton, you can get the recipe and the book. It doesn't need to have great benefits, but it could... especially things related to love and compassion. This should not be too hard to implement and would improve the quest a lot! And come on... Minerva's response to "stone soup" is begging for it: "It is a recipe that has been in my family for generations." So you know what it is through collecting the items, but don't get it. Ok, that's it. I'm calling this a BUG.
    - Do you get a love/compassion bump for helping Minerva? "learning to share"? I hope so.

Oh! And the book:
    [​IMG]
    - The same title right below the title at the top is unnecessary.
    - In first line, a comma would help after "ago."
    - BUG Take out "the" in second sentence.
    - Second sentence is a run-on.
    - BUG Comma after "themselves" in first sentence of second paragraph.
    - BUG Comma after "intrigued" in first sentence of third paragraph.
    [​IMG]
    - BUG Comma goes inside quotes on first line.
    - BUG Comma in fourth line needs to be after "crying" NOT "villager."
    [​IMG]
    - BUG Comma goes inside quotes on first line.
    - BUG Comma goes after said, not after crowd. No colon.
    - BUG Period inside quote on fifth line after feast.
    - BUG No comma after wandered in sixth line.

So I'm going to say this quest is just ok. Works ok, but kind of lifeless and a lot of disconnects with the "stone soup." Could be much better with the actual creation of a "stone soup" item and recipe.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.