Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Feedback] The lack of Steam Achievements is the main reason for the lack of Steam players

Discussion in 'Release 56 Feedback' started by Daenerys Targaryen, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

Disclaimer: First of all, this is a feedback post and not a bug report.

The lack of Steam Achievements and the non-working Steam achievements is the main reason for the lack of Steam players in my honest opinion.
    The game is not funny to play for most Steam players because of the lack of Steam Achievements.
    In one of my most honest opinions ever since 2015, the Steam Achievements is being grossly overlooked by the dev team of Portalarium.
    A dev possibly told us in a livestream several months ago or over a year ago something along the lines that Steam is updating their API so often that it would be a waste of financial/human resources for Portalarium to upkeep SotA up-to-date with the Steam Achievements just because the Steam Achievements API is changing too often.

In my opinion, the second main reason for the lack of Steam players is that most old backers of SotA very passionately and/or aggressively tell to new players to stay away from Steam. Old backers constantly have been telling to new players that you are not able to sell away your player account away later after you link your account to Steam. Also old backers are telling to new players that you should not put all your eggs in the same basket. In my opinion, old backers are scaring away most of the potential new Steam players by telling them false claims about how it is "unsafe"/"unsmart" to link your account to Steam.

All of this Steam hate and Steam angst amongst old backers is not a healthy way to make this game to look like credible in the eyes of the press or for new user acquisition.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

As per the Devs this is a Steam problem and out of their control. Take it up with Steam.

As an "Old" backer.... Had i know that in advance I prob would never have linked my account and I'll stand by that to this day. It's GOOD Advice.
    You should NEVER put all your eggs in one basket.

You may wish to see what Reddit , Facebook, Google and other platforms say as well before pointing to lack of users thru steam and blaming it on Steam and "Old" Backers..

Feedback to your feedback.

Laz

3. Mischievous Dragon

I have witnessed with my own eyes other Steam games such as 'Fallout 4', 'Civilization VI' and 'Town of Salem' to be working 100% properly when it comes to the Steam Achievements. So why not with SotA? :rolleyes:

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

In my opinion the achievements has nothing to do with lack of players in steam. I think the lack of steam players is the bad reviews in steam. In and out of it.

That bad reviews exists because there are much players that dont find the game appealing. So Portalarium should focus in why is that.

I know some reasons and can guess more. For instance:
    • Game launched when not ready.
    • Bugged quest system.
    • Unbalanced combat.
    • Adding bugged features while not correcting previous ones.
    Also it is true that there is work done in the good direction and it will cost time to right the wrong and much more time to convince that audience that things have changed.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This isn't entirely correct. They have had issues with steam support yes, but there are things on the portalarium side which they have not fixed due to priorities.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../known-steam-achievements.111514/#post-954279
    Long has also mentioned in several livestreams (end of 2017 for example) when this has been asked that there is a Jira about updating the achievements in general and adding new ones for the main questlines etc, but that he has had to push it for a long time since it is not a top priority.
    Back in 2016 they even talked about a possibility of adding more steam cards for collectors there.

So if they haven't touched the valve code in more than one year and more likely 2-3 years then it is no wonder if it breaks, especially since valve has done several updates to their achievement system over the last 3-4 years.

Which means that Portalarium would have to do a full code review before being able to say that it is still an issue on valve's side.

So a more true observation would be that "Since it was a costly task to sort out the valve achievements then with the current bandwidth it is very unlikely to get worked on until other higher priority actions have been resolved. Like episode 2."

Now where the OP is coming from is that he'd like Portalarium change that prio since his opinion is that it affects player retention on the steam platform.

Elwyn, Jaesun and Mischievous Dragon like this.
  6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't know anything about Steam achievements, but the only reason I personally ever used Steam for SotA was because updating with the SotA patcher used to be terrible. That's not the case anymore, so I imagine there is some number of people that used to use Steam for the faster updates that now use SotA's patcher.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Respectfully, the reason for the lack of steam players is not because of the lack of steam achievements.

That's a bit like saying the cake is just missing icing so nobody will eat the cake.

8. Mischievous Dragon

• Steam Achievements are very important especially for the New Players.
    "Achievement features are important for players during the initial to advanced phases; players who are achievement-oriented and gather large amounts of rare items and virtual money are more likely to be retained and succeed in achieving the next levels."

Source:
    "Achievement and Friends: Key Factors of Player Retention Vary Across Player Levels in Online Multiplayer Games", a 2017 study, [ download link ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.