Fillable and emptyable shelves

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by redfish, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

The devs said at some point said they're planning to give you some types of item storage in your house that allow you to show off your items, but there haven't been any details yet on the extent of this.

What I'd like to see is shelves where, as a container, you would put in multiple items, and then have those items visually show up on the shelves you see in the world. This would be important for shops with vendors. What you would do is put all of the items for sale on some sales shelf, and it would show up to travelling players. Then, when someone talks to the vendor, he would give a list of the items from the shelf, and when someone buys an item, the item is then removed from the shelf and no longer on display.

If the shop is boarded and closed for the night, there would also have to be some way for the vendor to transfer the items for sale from some storage shelf to the sales shelf when the shop is opened, and then transfer them back when the shop is closed. The storage shelf would also maybe contain excess items, and when an item on the sales shelf is sold, an item from the storage self would be pulled out to fill the empty space. There would also have to be some way for vendors to buy items from travelers and place them either on the sales shelf or on the storage shelf, so they could be resold, too.

The container display would probably be grid-based in a similar way to the storage shelves in Ultimate Collector.

2. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Yes, a million times this. I hated that Bookshelves were empty in UO and the only ones with actual book graphics on them were some kinds of crazy rares from when the server went live.

3. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I agree. Can't find anything to complain about :p.

4. Desertyeti

Desertyeti Avatar

Somewhere in the desert near the Az/Mexico border.
    That would be nice. From what I remember, it did always seem strange that the UO bookshelves were always empty. Apparently back then in Brittania there was no shortage of carpenters, but everyone was illiterate.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm pretty sure some of the functionality for this is already working. They had talked about how some decorations were already functional and I believe this included having books stand on end when placing them... so putting them in a bookshelf is probably a given. I hope though that placing books have the option to put them down in an open position. If memory servers I think they're supposed to stand up when placed against a vertical surface but they may not have been that specific. It was a couple months back.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bookstands might be a useful game item for that. Either full pieces of furniture, or small stands that just hold the book when placed on other furniture. You would then slot the book in the bookstand, and put the bookstand on a table...

Of course, someone might still want it flat on a surface, and that wouldn't help with that..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.