Final Report: The Race To Home Ownership - 66 Hours for a Row Deed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Wow! Most excellent experiment!!!

2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

66 Hours of grinding disagrees with that .

3. Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar

Mirjhaf Uth'Mathar Avatar

Great Job Vladamir Begemot,

But i agree with some comments here , Housing should be more easy to keep in SOTA.. i think Port, need lower a Bit monthly Tax
    It gonna help New Member and Cusual member to get a House, and Fill up POT and PRT

Mir

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And two years to get a house in UO never for one moment made me have less fun or want to stop playing the game. I was having a blast. Besides just come and ask I'll give you free rooms to relax and enjoy the game as will many others. And another thing once you get those deeds you'll be working away to pay taxes which could feel like pressure to some.

So again My advise is just have fun, settle yourself in a room, take your time, play raffles, play music, do any content you enjoy, perhaps begin a career to get that deed but do it at your pace and yes truly most of all just have fun.

We have group finder now which opened up a whole new world. Just do alt f to join or create a group like if you have a quest to kill the Phoenix start a group or perhaps you feel like syncing music start a group and what ever. I am Majoria in game. My rooms are always free as are many others and that just gives options. I don't want to hear someone is living out of their bank. ;)

edited: and this is the house I got after 2 years of playing UO and I truly loved this little house and it's oddities ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  5. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Never Forget.
    Join Novia's The Rent Is Too Damn High Party.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

When I started this I hoped that some experienced adventurers would join me in doing the same thing, because up until that point I was probably 97% in town, playing as a merchant. I don't know the right places to go, but I do know how to sell the stuff.

As Kain said, I did things the slow way, at least from an adventurer perspective. Think of this as the first speed run. I set the bar low, it should be easy to beat.

My experience had a lot of bumbling. I scrapped weapons for a while. That was a mistake, I'm trying to get a home for gold, not be a master crafter (yet). I stayed in the lower tier mines too long because they are shiny and fun! Heck, I couldn't even find the entrance to the Jaaniford one for ages, and spent a lot of time just running around like an idiot.

If some of you experienced Adventurers would please join us and sacrifice 50 hours of your time (more, because we hope you'll write it up), I and a lot of others would really appreciate it.

I am once again extending the challenge to our experienced adventurers to sacrifice some of your time and show us how it's done. @Mac2 , @Kain Darkmoor , @Rada Torment , @FrostII .

Your experienced, shared with new players, will help them become settled in members of our world that much faster. I know it can be done faster, and in different ways, so please show us how it's done.

I don't know who most of the high end ladies and gentlemen are honestly, if you know some, tag them and challenge them!

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Re: The Rent is Too High campaign

I'm have no answer to the Party Members points, but I can speak from my personal experience.

The culmination of the 66 hours was a very "Big Moment" for me. This was a moment I had not experienced yet due to having come into the game with a pledge. I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the time up to then, and I am glad it happened.

It was a goal I placed in front of myself, and very fulfilling to overcome. I can say with certainty that I wouldn't have bothered if it were the price of a Commissioned Vendor, 20,000g. What about 50k? 100k? At what point is it just a "meh, no biggie", level? At what point would I have not even cared, and by extension not have bothered with this experiment?

Should they just be handed out when you walk in the door, thus giving everyone some land? Or maybe for a couple of months so the current wave of settlers are landed? After that it's back to working for it?

Ignoring the fact that you could message someone for a room at an Inn before you even started playing, how many hours in should one expect to own a house if that is their goal?

I'm looking back at the posts, and at 20 hours I had 55,000 gold. I was barely getting started in the Shroud Experience at that point. I had just discovered the second Tier 2 Mine, started milling some timber at the Factorium, and still thought I could be a cook (I can't cook).

If I were to have finished then, what would that have meant? I can't say for others, but it wouldn't have been a triumph for me. It would have just been something I aquired, a like the Virtue Armor pieces. "Cool!" But not "Yes, I DID it!"

Then again I never would have done this experiment because it would have been obvious anyone could have a deed with minimal effort, so there was no need to test how long it takes.

If they suddenly drop prices, I'm glad I did this while it was still a "Big Goal" with the "Big Moment" payoff in the end. Years from now I can be one of the few who is able to say "I earned a deed when they were a challenge, you young whippersnappers just get them for showing up!"

And maybe that's ok for new player to get them without any effort. I don't know.

But the Rent is Too Damn High party can feel good knowing that whatever we are thinking, Developers are thinking about it also:

And for some more humor, since Rent = Free in most places, AND Rent is Too Damn High, should we be paying people to stay at our Inns? ;)

Note to @Baratan : I didn't grind. This was 66 hours of fun diverse experiences, have a look at the thread linked in the OP.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Free is too much?

9. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

You should blog your adventures in the optimal way of doing things....

10. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Deed drops in the loot table won't help new players get hooked on SotA since they won't be dropping in T1-4 scenes.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

While true, it DOES put this commodity into the player market...

12. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Yes, but a market so inflated that new players will still not be able to buy in until they get to T5 zones anyway.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Baratan like this.
  13. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

I am sorry. This image is making me giggle so much. Such a humble abode felt like a monumental achievement, but alas, as soon as you get it you find yourself under siege.
    It took me much longer to achieve home ownership in UO. I need to find that old drive with all my old screenshots from undergrad - certain I still have it ... hmm

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I found the POT Row deed for 300,000g that my guild mates had mentioned. Ironically it's right down the road in Brittany Alleys. Take the default entrance and run straight, third building on the right, "Fermosa Trader".

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Very cool !

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm actually doing the main quest now on my alternate account just to get the row deed.

17. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Awwww I miss my tiny house in UO from like 18 years ago. I lived in a small tower at the top of the swamp near Destard. Sigh...

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great analysis! Good work!

19. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Next Campaigne should be how long it takes to get a taxable village deed.

Vladamir Begemot and moxiepilot like this.
  20. Vrenmar Bloodborn

Vrenmar Bloodborn Avatar

Or spend about 10 hours to do the story. ;)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.