1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Fast Travel, as His Grace accurately points out, completely breaks Regional Economies. I was surprised at the mention of the recall device, having assumed that /zone would be removed. While I will appreciate the utility of being able to return home quickly, I was fully prepared to live and play without it.

Any expansion of that capability beyond the ability to get home quickly (Which was the original purpose and intent of the Recall spell in UO. It only became what it became after the unintended publish of a Bug with the spell) is one of the two items I have and will continue to campaign vehemently against.

I was heartened when I learned how important the Regional Economy was to Richard as it made it clear to me that an equivalent of the UO style Recall would never be implemented in Shroud of the Avatar.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

3. smack

smack Avatar

What will be the NUMBER OF LOTS?
    • The final number of lots (outside of Player Owned Towns) for final wipe will be locked at midnight on July 27 and will be based on pledges sold, plus Add-On Store lot allocations, plus 30% more for in game gold purchase.

I do hope that a large portion of the 30% land deeds reserved for in-game purchase is held back for the actual launch. There are many players who are waiting until the game (i.e. Episode 1) is complete before purchasing (or are existing backers but waiting to jump in), and it would be perhaps unfair to those new customers / players if housing is already exhausted before the game is even launched.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Player Run Town: A town in the game that is part of the static map (Not a Player Owned Town (POT)) that has no NPCs like Merchants or Guards. Those with Merchants, Guards, and other NPCs are referred to as NPC Towns.

5. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Player Run Town... it's a town Port puts in just for players that has no NPC's. It's just a housing location.

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

PRT is Player-Run Town, but really it's not run by the players, it's simply a town that probably has few or no NPC's.

Edit - ^^ what they said.

7. smack

smack Avatar

Launch absolutely exists for Episode 1. The entire game development process for SotA as a series of Episodes will be eternal and ongoing. That much has been known since the Kickstarter, since R1 in December 2013, and will be that way once Episode 1 is complete and launched and come out of Early Access. And at some point, during this ongoing monthly development process post Ep1 launch, Episode 2 will start development and also launch at some point in the future, unless we choose to redefine / get rid of even the concept of self-contained Episodes. I would welcome that discussion in another thread.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Actually, not exactly. I'll try to find the post or video where this was mentioned but PRTs were initially envisioned to grow organically over time. As more players occupied the PRT, they would get NPC services of some kind -- be it a shop, vendor, bank, guard, etc.

The player lots we have now were not the same originally. They were originally cleared fields. Some player lots are still like that. But in PRTs, they designed the player lots so that they are not cleared but still have trees and other natural objects on them. This made PRTs more like wilderness scenes, and as players took over these lots, it would clear out more of the scene and look more occupied.

I don't know if this is still the plan, but it would be great if PRTs organically grew in this way and eventually got NPC services of some kind, depending on its player population, activity, region in the world, etc.

9. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Of course you're trading social mobility for something which is really only a minor deviation. If 1 or 10 players can notably alter the regional economy by recalling back and forth we have a problem, because currently it's only 3 minute jog between regions anyway. Still a better solution might be to make it simply that you can't fast travel while laden past a certain point, be it half your carry capacity or lower. Also add the dynamic you can fast travel to your friends at the entrance of a dungeon, but you can't fast travel back after loading up with loot and must brave the wilderness path.

You'd think player run town would apply to control points such as those castles we are meant to be able to siege and control vs player owned towns which are the towns players actually own.

10. !(Blood0men)!

!(Blood0men)! Avatar

Soo, Group 11 ill be in, Will I get an Email how soon before the lot selection?

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If you're in Group 11 you go here:
    • Start Time: July 31, 2016 08:00 CDT (13:00 UTC)

Why would you need an email?

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Why wouldn't you !

amaasing and rune_74 like this.
  13. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Well for one thing to confirm the group you think you are in is the group you are in. But since that could change with pledge upgrades it's probably better it indicates it somewhere on the accounts page.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  14. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

I am disappoint.

The whole "its not launch" is a very Clinton'esque play on words by trying to control the language like trying to define what the word "is" is. In March 2014 at the first Duke and Lords of the Manor round table, launch was described as the story online and offline being ready and things like lot placement would come later. Priorities were indeed changed.

Also, this really reflects how much Player Owned Towns have dominated the development time as so many promised features are to be done post launch. I don't think it was worth it at all, especially since they broke the promised feature of limited housing space by creating unlimited land in the form of instanced POTs on a single "hex", not to mention the ability for POT owners to pay2grief other players by banning out of scenes/evictions without a valid reason. So this mess was created while more important features were delayed, cancelled or abandoned.

Why is all this happening? This seems like Portalarium is giving up and throwing in the towel by releasing the game in a state of pre-alpha. Is it money issues?

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Because you should be capable of figuring out when your turn is by reading the OP?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

POT* Please... Player Owned Town.. I think PRT is someones weird way of saying the same. maybe Player Ran town?

17. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I don't disagree... but at the current time they are just what I stated... Port has not stated any plans yet to do anything else with them at this time. They are mostly just cloned copies of the same template right now.

Bones13 [MGT] and 4EverLost like this.
  18. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

There is suppose to be a clock on your account page - though I don't see it mentioned on the write-up. @DarkStarr ?

No, they are two different things. POT = Player owned towns. PRT = Player run towns. They are both in game right now, in fact.

smack likes this.
  19. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Mentioned in my OP here:
    OFFICIAL START TIMES FOR LOT SELECTION:.All times are in 24 hour format. These times will appear on your account page no later than June.

20. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Missed it. Sorry about that. Thank you for the reply.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.