Fire mages cant play together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Filter Bubble Algorithm, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Why not

Black Tortoise likes this.
  3. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

I don't know, but my first guess is fire damage debuffs might not stack from separate casters? I've never tested it. More info please.

4. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Yes. We just discovered this last night. 3 stacks only for arrow, fist, and fireball. Ring of fire only one.

Big cancellations of DOT.

Numa likes this.
  5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Same holds true for any type of DoT. Rend doesn't get extra debuff slots if there are more swordsmen around, for example.

Black Tortoise and Alley Oop like this.
  6. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

I know ice arrows do not stack, nor does a disabling shot and ice slowing effect. Stands to reason that you can only be on fire once.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, seems like the most effective party would be a diverse one.

Black Tortoise, Sway, Mac2 and 13 others like this.
  8. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Defiantly a bug, players shouldn't have to play a different damage class than others in a group. Some players only have one main damage skill tree.

FrostII and Quenton like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why not?

Nikko likes this.
  10. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I thought the example you didn't add to the quote would have been enough. Perhaps some freedom of choice?

11. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

If something is on fire and then I set it on fire . . .

12. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I partied once with another fire mage and the servers melted and the game died.

I think it caused a volcanic eruption at the datacenter, may have even sparked weeks of wildfires, not sure, but I can definately confirm fire mages can't play together

13. Corv

Corv Avatar

That's (partially) how it was in Vanilla World of Warcraft.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's how they make Shardfalls

Elnoth likes this.
  15. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

It won't be an issue until the concept of enrage timers becomes a thing. As soon as damage output is realistically required to kill something before the monster auto-kills your group, then there will be a definitely problem with "who" you bring. WoW is probably the perfect example: In vanilla, yes debuffs didn't stack BUT there really weren't enrage timers either until much closer to BC. When BC hit you were required to bring X amount of Y class to the exact specification to realistically kill things before you out-geared it entirely. I really hope we'll take a page from history and learn that this doesn't make for fun or engaging encounters by having to pick my raid group by what they play but by instead who is playing.

As an aside, none of the DoT's really emulate anything *fully* being on fire. They represent an afterburn of that area. Same as rend. I'm sure people could figure out how to slice a dragon so that it is bleeding from a few more spots than what one guy is doing. There is no defensible reason that the the debuff allocation is per slot and not per player aside from their tech to handle such a thing is too terrible and we're stuck with what we've got.

16. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

But was it caused by not being able to use the same damage spells as someone else in your party?

17. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

My fire ring does 11-33 damage per 2 seconds... my buddy replaces my ring with his 2-8 damage...

He should not play any differently, but my attunement is getting cancelled by his lower spells.

Numbers guessed for now, but this is what we found to be the case. Redundancy (at lower damage).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

I thought the Chris made fire DOTs so they stack, even from a single caster.

At any rate, even though there's an argument for the benefit of a diverse party, there's also an argument for casters to have sympathy with one another, whether that means casters of two schools combining effects, or casters of a single school doing something together that would work like Spellweaving in UO. Like a couple of fire mages working in a circle to create a giant ring of fire.

Obviously you have to prevent stacked fire damage from being OP but it should still stack.

Black Tortoise and Lord Ravnos like this.
  19. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Nothing OP about stacking debuffs. It's the exact result of 1+1 when two fire mages both stack their original spells. There's no synergy, no special situation that arises, anything. It's simply 1+1 and at this point when only one person can have theirs up it's closer to 1+1=1 than 2. There is nothing OP about this to even consider.

20. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

The Guy who burns just a bit will now burn more effective then before? Like, his left arm is on fire, now i add some more and his right arm burns now? With your logic i should also kill everything with one fireball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.