Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fire Resistance has no effect--does not reduce fire damage at all

Discussion in 'Release 36 Bug Forum' started by monkeysmack, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

11/19/2016 4:50 PM
    Title: Fire Resistance has no effect--does no reduce fire damage at all
    Reproduction Rate:100%
    Blocker? not really
    Details: I added a bunch of sorcery ward gems to my gear which raised my fire resistance from 32 to 104. Checking the /stats showed that my fire resistance was indeed increased. Standing in the fire in Kiln with the increased resistance, I was taking the same damage as usual---i.e., 10 damage. If I take off my armor with the sorcery ward gems, I take the same damage, 10. If I cast ice shield and douse, the fire damage I take is reduced to 5.
    Steps to Reproduce: Increase fire resistance with ward gems and stand in fire. Take gear with ward gems off and compare damage.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8) System RAM: 8140
    GPU: Radeon (TM) HD 6490M GPU RAM: 1008
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.509.Date.11.18.16
    Area: Novia_R3_City_Kiln
    Area Display Name: Kiln
    Loc: (0.6, 33.1, -37.6)

Net likes this.
  2. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Not entirely accurate.

Where were you when I was talking about this repeatedly in discord the past few days :p

The new fire resistance (defensive ward attune/'fire resistance' value not listed as a %) currently applied to pvp is supposed to be fixed in Monday's update to work vs pve sources.

Other current fire resistance skills do still work (the old system listed with a % instead of the new broken value/2 system).

Air magic school's resist passive still operates the old way, but fire and water passives are the new way and are not working.

Chris already knows about this.

3. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Yes, well you just said in your post that it was indeed a bug. And I never said the resistance number was a percentage. But when you increase the number to an extreme (32 to 104) you should seen some reduction in damage as a result. Even if it translates to 3.2% to 10.4%, you should see a 1 point drop in damage. So, I'm not sure how I was not entirely accurate.

4. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Yes, it's a known bug. Chris said it should be fixed Monday.

Chris gave us the conversion rate, iirc of 2 'fire resistance' = 1% fire resist with the old style. At GM Fire Proof you get 50 Fire Resistance worth the same 25% as before. Fire Resistance/2 + Fire Resistance% (from Ice Shield/Douse) = total fire resist.

The problem is that the new system (The Fire Resistance without %) meant to be a new/balancing pvp mechanic is not applying that fire resistance value (converted to a %) to PVE sources of damage (mage mobs, lava, liches, elementals, etc.).

So, if you had GM Ice Shield for 15% and Douse granting 35% Fire resist + GM Fire Proof for 25% (again, now reads +50 Fire Resistance instead of 25%) and would be at 75% fire resist before R36, you are now 50% fire resistant vs PVE sources after R36 update instead of what you should be.

Believe me, I was all over this one as soon as I got clocked by increased mage damage fireballs :p I didn't report it here because I talked with Chris about it and he already has tentative plans to fix it.

5. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Well I somewhat suspected people might be aware of this one but I didn't see a post here so I went ahead and posted it just to be sure. SOOO I get credit and you don't!! :p HAHA, just kidding.

6. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Nah, no big deal. Just wanted to let you know it was a known issue with plans already.

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Known issue, but nobody had actually written up a bug report before (we all just yelled at Chris)

Alley Oop, Net and margaritte like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.