First time I've been in this forum...didn't want to be sad....

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Haz, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Haz

Haz Avatar

but instead, a flood of good memories hit me and hit me hard, lol.

Played on Baja for most of my UO life (started right after release, up until about 2-3 years ago) and ended the last 2 years I played on Atlantic.

Haz was my first toon, an archer in SOA Guild on Baja. Damn that was fun. So exciting, so new, so time consuming, hahahah.

Parrot was a bard on Baja. He stills recalls setting up a table and chair near the bridge in Brit, waiting for the Lizardmen to attack, sitting there eating bread and drinking wine, while peacing and aggroing them on each other while the guy that got me involved in UO ran around with his fencer, finishing them off while crowds of folks watched and SOA fired from the area behind me protecting the innocents (well, thats how I remember it, LOL).

There were other toons, DM the animal tamer remembers his first dragon, Madis remembers GMing blacksmithing, and Hump remembers slinking around stealing from everyone.

So many memories, I sure hope SotA brings me even half of those type of memories.

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Welcome to SotA, and may the memories you create carry for a lifetime. They have for us this far!

Tahru, Time Lord, Deliverence and 5 others like this.
  3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

Welcome Haz, I hope you come to love SoTA like the rest of us...well like MOST of us anyway! ;)

Truthveyor, Ice Queen, Tahru and 4 others like this.
  4. Mata

Mata Avatar

It is up to us. ;)

Truthveyor, Tahru, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I played a character named Leaf Moonshadow on Baja alot, good memories for me on that server as well.

Tahru, Time Lord, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  6. Haz

Haz Avatar

Thanks @Stryker Sparhawk and the rest of you.

I've been here since the beginning........and as much as I hate to say it, SotA has not gotten close to UO memories. Don't get me wrong my friends, I enjoy playing SotA, there is such potential here!

Maybe it's because I'm getting older (60 now), maybe it was the newness of UO as compared to SotA, I don't know.....maybe the memory making will start with the actual release.....again, I don't know.

I play, I enjoy and I wait patiently for the release to happen. We'll see what we see.

Truthveyor, Tahru, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Hey man, I almost cried when I stopped playing UO. I'm right there with you on the emotional attachment to those gaming days. Welcome, I'm sure you'll make the memories you're wanting here.

8. Haz

Haz Avatar

I'm an old freaking man, don't get me started.......wouldn't be all that hard to get me started crying and the next thing ya know I'd be downloading UO and reactivating my damn acct.....*Chuckles to himself*

Truthveyor, Tahru, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

It's a different time in our lives and a different age in gaming. Too many rules and politically correct ways of doing things now... before it was all about experiencing it for the first time and now it's about experiencing it how you think you want it. I've had my ups and down but I have 100% faith in this project. I think the UO days that most of us remember are tainted with rose colored glasses and glittery outlines from the memory fairies ;)

If you sit down and really compare the differences between SotA today and UO when it started... SotA is WAY ahead of the curve... this game has so much more potential out-of-the gate and is in the same situation UO was... other people making it to market right before them with some similar technology and other games releasing in the same year as them claiming bigger/better/etc. It's all about the community at this point. Ours is better than theirs by quality of the major players. There are thorns in every rose bush but damn are our roses bigger, brighter, and prettier than the next bush (yeah... I just called you all a bunch of roses... and port a bush... MUAHAHAH).

Give it time and you'll be looking back on years of SotA gaming going "remember when?!"

• Crafting your first set of gear...
    • Putting up your first house...
    • Settling in Valemark with Winfield at your side?
    • Settling in The Brave Coast trying to protect people from PKers (namely CDD)?
    • Typing out your messages to the NPCs instead of mouse clicking (#ThereSomethingAboutTyping)
    • Having your first set of gear looted...
    • Getting pick pocketed while you try to narrate some story... only to find out it was a guild member doing the pick pocketing (yeah... I know who you are)
    • Getting locked in your home by a couple of PKers and deciding to craft instead of adventure because people think your blood is made of gold or something of value???
    All these memories and then some...
    • Lord British's birthday party
    • Darkstarr's "PvP" stream with MMORGP
    • The Bear Tavern Brawls
    • The Vengeance Tournaments
    • The 4B Mazes
    • The FireLotus parties
    This game has the same feel as the start to UO imo... I wasn't there for the first years of UO but I came in right after them and heard all the stories... I think that most of the people remember the last "glory" years of UO and compare that to the first years of development in this game and it gives them bad feelings... just you wait for Episode 2 ... lol

Truthveyor, Wilfred, Tahru and 7 others like this.
  10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I totally did that a few months back... true story.

Time Lord, Mata, Leelu and 1 other person like this.
  11. Haz

Haz Avatar

Kindred spirits...all of Us.

I would venture to say your are right @Violation Clauth . Rose colored glasses......glory days of a breakout game....and the people.

I think I need to get more involved with the groups, with the folks playing. I've met many good/great folks, but I think it's time to actually become "involved". I don't think I've been as engaged with folks here as I was in UO. Time to change that I think.

Thanks VC for the pep talk and making me look a little over the top rims of my rose colored glasses.

Truthveyor, Time Lord, Mata and 4 others like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

@Haz, I played UO on the Atlantic server going all the way back to it's initial release in 1997. I can say without a doubt that the community and people here are the best around. No matter how great UO might have been I think Shroud is so much better. A major reason for this being the people. I highly encourage you get involved more and check out some of the player events listed on http://avatarscircle.com/ there is ALWAYS something fun happening! :)

13. Haz

Haz Avatar

Time Lord, Mata and Leelu like this.
  14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Haz, no can haz sad! :p

15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Avatar

Absolutely! I hear what you're saying about getting older and the unique "newness" of UO back when it was released. I feel much the same way about Ultima 7 and every "immersive rpg" that is released today...they can't compare to U7! Well...Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 can, but it's close! :D

I've found that for me personally, the more I have invested in this game, the more rewarding it has become! :)

16. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia!!

17. Haz

Haz Avatar

I don't think anyone could have said it better Cordelayne.

LOL, Thank you my friend, not really sad I guess, just kinda missing an old friend I think.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Haz to Shroud of the Avatar. I agree with other posters in regards to what's possible for this game. Since we are still in development, not a lot of story, optimizations, and most features in the game is first iterations of it, like agriculture, fishing, even combat is so much a work in progress. The quest lines are bare bones still and some reasons for this is to keep the story away from us to not spoil it for us. Also many scenes are place holders not yet getting the amazing polish and touches that they will have when the game releases. Each release bring us closer and closer to what we are all looking for. Now is the time to test out the systems, give constructive feedback and make your own fun. Sometimes this might mean finding a purpose in the game that speaks to you. As for me it has really helped to join the @Sandillox Ent guild to help create events and enjoy a group of people that are very awesome. So if you need help anytime I am majoria in the game. So it may be welcome back to you, but whatever it is I am honored to meet you. *cheers*

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Truthveyor, Time Lord and Mata like this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

*facepalm*...stopped playing UO...

I cannot express why someone would leave UO. Next to SotA, UO is the bee's knees! :D

Mata, Violation Clauth and Time Lord like this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree!

(expand the quote to see more)

Mata, Violation Clauth and Time Lord like this.