Fishing?. ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OrionSnake, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tygron

tygron Avatar

I'm with Ned 888 on this one. The wow system for fishing is pretty good, the idea of cooking what you catch and provide it to the community is great. Love the nodes pools of debris, always fun to se what you catch.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  2. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

For those of you who have never played a GM fisher In UO. Please believe me when I say that it sets the Standard for fun even at its bare bones level before it was improved. This advise is coming from one of very few that has won the weekly WoW fishing tournament...my WoW character can turn into a giant fish at will because of this trophy and I was the pride of my guild for a day. UO FISHING IS BETTER (@GM level).

3. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

A Fisherman first examines his water: muddy, still, fast flowing, deep, reedy, etc. and determines what type of fish are likely in there. He then chooses his rod and tackle: fly-fishing, easy drop in the water, big game. Risk losing your bait or lure.

With fly-fishing you watch for a little splash and respond quickly. For easy drop you just cast, wait, catch or not. With deep water, big fish, you get a fight where you have to balance pull and release, pull to long, your STR gets sapped or the line breaks, release to far and you've just lengthened your fight.

rowan50k and Balec Fares de Cani like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Excellent points above. I enjoy fishing and would love to see a deeper fishing simulation than what's basically a coin toss. It should be a passive/active sim. Passive such that if you don't pay attention to your line (i.e. play the sim), it reduces itself to chance, with some extra logic behind it as to what kind of fish you can catch. Common dumb fish would have a greater chance than your smarter rares, for example.

Active fishing would be more involving, but should be more rewarding, to the player and the character, if you follow.

Location, tools used, your skills, the day/night cycle, weather, seasons, story-based events, etc should come in to play if you want to take it really far.

5. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I'm a little disappointed, I don't think we will get to have boats. If not, I hope they can work deep sea fishing in somehow through a charter that allows hunting out the good fishing spots.

If not charters, then I hope they research pier fishing.

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Charters could be used to introduce special maps. In a vast unexplored body of water.

Charter maps could also have different difficulties depending on the players skill.

I don't think this would be hard to implement. The charter map is a hex outside the normal world otherwise out of reach. Players can control the vessel for the duration of the charter. I think this would be an easy way to have some big adventures.

The devs could spend some extra time on these hexes knowing that they are certain to be used.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I don't think sailable houseboats will be any time soon, 1.6 goal should allow for the possibility of deep sea fishing. Though it isn't specifically mentioned in the goal, shipping lanes and sea transport lends itself to the idea of deep sea fishing. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to add it in.

8. nonobadkitty

nonobadkitty Avatar

I love fishing as a skill, but I don't want it to become a mini-game that requires concentration/twitch skills. I like to fish to relax after a long day of work (real world or in game.) I'd like things we catch to be useable in other professions (cooking, for sure, and maybe alchemy or even "garbage" we can melt/whittle down for metal crafts/weapon craft or something.) I also love an occasional "treasure", even if it's just a small collectible item (doesn't have to be a treasure chest full of gold or anything although those are fun too, like in UO with MIBS and treasure maps.) If we can mount our fish on a plaque at a taxidermist that could be fun too.

9. Syntax

Syntax Avatar

Hopefully fishing is a part of the game. Added a nice dynamic to other MMOs as well.

10. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Fishing is the only gathering I ever enjoyed in games.

That and slaughtering cows for leather, mostly because the sound effects were pretty hilarious.

*thwack* "MOOOOOOOOOO!" *thwack thwack* "MrghrhgrfhfooooooO!" *slice slice* Repeat!

I would like to see a fishing that isn't just a button press. Full on 3D fishing simulation would be awesome.

Similar to bass master or something from back in the day, where you see your lure underwater and maneuver it around and try to get a fish.

11. DocTerror

DocTerror Avatar

I loved fishing in UO. It was simple but fun especially deep sea fishing when all of a sudden sea monsters could spawn and kill you if you weren't careful. It was also profitable. I bought my first house from money I made in fishing.

Fish up a sea serpents and get either a SoS bottle or a treasure map. I could spend a few hours fishing and get 3-4 of these. I'd sell the maps for a few K each, fish up the SoS bottles and sell all the items on a vendor.

12. Lord of the Sheep

Lord of the Sheep Avatar

I would fish the heck out of this game. My apologies but I really like fishing in WoW. I liked the different fish across the map and the floating wreckages. Too bad I never caught Mr. Pinchey :(

Fishing is deeply ingrained in human history and cuisine IMHO. Basically it's a dice roll in-game, so it's gambling, but I really think it would add to the game to take it quite seriously.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  13. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

For a game that is billing itself as highly interactive and offering suggestions for different regions to harvest things like reagents at different times of the years / moon phase... I suspect there will be some pretty cool fishing options. :)

Eldyth likes this.
  14. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Please, no cork - blink - miss, cross-eye type fishing.

15. Linthu

Linthu Avatar

In UO, i was really into fishing. GM Fishing was AWESOME. SoS's, Nets, Sea Serpents, Deep Sea Serpents, Boats. Best part of UO to me...

I really hope something on this scale is implemented in sota!

Lin

dp_dropout likes this.
  16. Zorthax

Zorthax Avatar

I agree with A lot of the people on here on the case of sea monsters still being a part of the game. Imagine sailing on your decent sized boat with a decent sized party, and to have one member on your party fish up a kraken, or sea serpent, or even a treasure map. Ill admit that in the old UO the sea monsters felt as if they were sliding on ice because of the graphics of the old game, but with this new set of visuals, I could see the sea monsters being even more entertaining than before. So I believe without a doubt sea monsters should still be a part of fishing.

However, I also do not think that it should be easy to fish them up either, nor easy to take down. The biggest mistakes the greatest MMO's make now-a-days, is making achieving this or that far to easy. It completely removes the sense of accomplishment earned from completing the task in mind.

Course we could also spice it up and make it possible to fish up squid and such, which would make getting to GM just as much fun.
    TL;DR
    I like sea monsters, and taming things as well. We should keep/improve those things.

17. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

My favorite fishing mini-game of all time has got to be the fishing in the 3d zelda games that featured it: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess

Other forms of fishing in games have felt either too simplistic, thus lacking something in the gameplay, or they've gone too far and made a full blown fishing simulator, which is then too complicated for its own good and feels too slow/realistic.

From what I recall of fishing in WoW it had a decent approach - my only problem with it was that it felt like I had little to no control on how often a fish would catch on to the line, so there would be random stretches of long waits that would sometimes make fishing a huge time waster...

To some extent I want there to be a decent skill factor to fishing, and the potential of adding puzzles to finding particular fish sounds fun and interesting, but I also think the system should be developed more towards a relaxing mindset than a twitch one, something simple to grasp and get the hang of -but still requires at least a minimum degree of active attention.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  18. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I aim to do a lot of fishing, I liked UO's fishing, used to fish up all kinds of stuff using maps was a lot of fun, especially when up popped a serpent. I don't want to see a boring system, obviously something like Zelda's would be hard, where you have something other than just a blobber that you click.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. nickname187

nickname187 Avatar

For a first post this seems the best place to start. I hope to see a system that uses the good aspects of Old UO type fishing, ( Mib's and Treasure Map's), But have a better dynamic waterway, changing currents, fish patterns, or searching for schools of fish. Also don't forget how important to fishing the BOAT is. I don't think fishing from land only is a great way to fish. I hope to see more natural events occur out on the water. And I know how little it matters to some people... but Date, Time and Weight on the fish helps us players that want to host Fishing Tournaments be fair and honest. 1st place Trophy anyone!

acrylic_300 and chrisbcarr like this.
  20. Chripsy

Chripsy Avatar

Yup and main thing NOOOOO NODES for fishing.. id like no nodes for all resources gathering but I know that wont happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.