Fishing?. ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OrionSnake, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

There should be areas with rare/hard to catch fish that require a boat to get to. That would motivate me to save up for a boat. I suppose renting one from an NPC would be another option. Here is where the sea monsters would attack you. Now if you fish from land, you would not encounter these monsters, but you also wouldn't be able to catch these rare fish.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  2. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

These options provide something for everyone (passive/active). Also like the suggestion about matching the water type to the fishing type for best results.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I personnally like the WoW style of fishing much better than the UO style. I actually had to pay attention in WoW, where UO was mindless macroing in a boat sailing around and around the World, if you could find an open path across the sea (there were so many abandend boats there was no clear path to sail). Fishing at the shore only gave you fish, fishing in deep water gave you Krakens to fight, and then once in a blue moon a treasure map or net.

In WoW you had to find a schools of fish, then cast your line over/over to get it in the right spot (as there were 6 or 9 spots it would drop in), then you had to wait patiently for a nibble, then Bang you caught something (if you were paying attention and not AFK).

I want an "active" fishing system, I want to see the line draping out to my bobber, I want to see that I flubbed the cast and have to cast again, I want to see my rod bend as I fight to tire my catch and real them in, I want to use "bait & lures".

I want different kinds of fish in different areas, I want to be able to cook them and have eating them mean something, IMO gaining quicker regeneration for HP & Mana & whatever else you dev's are planning to tire us would be very beneficial.

4. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

WoW was on to something when it came to fishing. I had great fun when fishing. Areas for improvement but definitely made things translate into a play and feel of a real mini-game worth participating in, and not some macro-hack and "move on" sort of thing.

-Ff

5. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

I want both - certain fishing types/spots requires active participation while other types/spots do not. Depends on the mood I'm in as to what I want to do.

6. Royou

Royou Avatar

In the Deep Dive we were talking about live bait's.

I'd like to add another to the list, that being MICE, just been out to my shed and the little ****'s have munched through a load of my dry bait's wrecked 2 bag's and gnawed on many other things, so I'd like to add mice, can't catch the perpetrators here as no-doubt are long gone, but I'd like to be able to use his or her virtual cousins as Pike bait Pleaseeeeeeeee :)

rschultzy80 and Time Lord like this.
  7. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

I think a lot of that depends on what the devs intend to implement. I like the moderator's answer of the "how" in their own post. Passive = smaller/less valuable fish while active = larger/more valuable. Although both should yield "some chance" at valuable fish/loot.

Also, I have been away from the forums since the first few months of kickstarter so it's a lot of reading of catch up on but... If fishing is going to require skill points, and skill points will be limited, and we can only have one character... I don't see myself fishing, which makes me kind of sad.

Sort of off topic but I would like to see basically unlimited skill points if we can only have one toon. Or if it were akin to UO, for instance, where we were GMing 7 skills. Maybe be able to GM 7 combat and 7 non-combat skills.

There are just so many variables at this point.

Lord Royou likes this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I prefer active systems over relaxed ones if for no other reason than to combat people becoming a GM solely with an unattended macro.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Lord Royou likes this.
  10. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

For myself, what I enjoy is a relaxing experience with fishing. There are always other things to do where you have to be alert, sometimes I just like to chill for a while. If the timer is too long though, it becomes mind numbingly tedious so it would be a balancing act to get it right. :)

For examples, I don't know. I liked UO fishing. I didn't like Lotro (bobber) and Wurm (mind numbingly tedious). Maybe the bobber wouldn't be so bad if it would continue until you act rather than having to see it at the right time. Maybe when you do respond, a choice of "set the hook" or "reel in slowly," with different results depending on the type of fish you hooked with a chance to lose it. No idea if that would be fun or annoying. I haven't seen that type system if there is one out there.

Jivalax Azon, Rodriguez and Time Lord like this.
  11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Fishing should not be a mini game. Long ago, I thought making fishing a mini game was a glorious idea to relieve the monotony of click casting, but WoW and LotRO both helped me realize that a fishing mini game is just as monotonous as click casting, only it's more work because I have to pay attention and click stuff. It's more boring than boring. It's mind numbing, like typing the word "potato" fifty thousand times. You're doing stuff. It's just not stuff that's worth doing, and I'd honestly just prefer fishing to be a more relaxing experience, where you cast and wait (UO style).

Aron Swordmaster likes this.
  12. enderandrew

Create a game mechanic that is fun and not a chore. But if there is zero active involvement, you get GM Fisherman who got their solely through macros. That isn't a game.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Not if you don't get any experience points from fishing... *evil grin*

Time Lord and rschultzy80 like this.
  14. enderandrew

When crafting, you do get some skill points to combat leveling and vice-versa as well, and if nothing else, you'd level up in the crafting tree. They're doing this encourage everyone to see all facets of game content.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Which is fine, but not every skill has to be part of that system. Suppose Fishing had its own skill tree (or maybe was just a single skill) that you could put points into, but practicing fishing earns you rewards in the form of items, not experience.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. enderandrew

The issue comes in that if you don't want any crafting/gathering skill to have an active component then we're back in the same boat. Either people can level up with macroing, or there is an active element to stop that.

And why should fishing be removed from all the other gathering skills and treated as a completely different system where you don't have a skill or level?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's not at all what I said, mate.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. enderandrew

You said Fishing shouldn't be part of the system. So now we're going to break up how all gathering/crafting skills work and remove Fishing from the matrix, why? And we're going to create a completely new game system to handle fishing where can never improve. Why?

And how do you propose we handle all other crafting skills? Should they have active components or not?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I don't understand what you're trying to say with the term "active component."

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Lord Gorynych

Lord Gorynych Avatar

There is no need to remove or limit XP rewards for fishing.
    To prevent macroing just make fishing similar to forestry. To catch a fish you need to find it (visually in the water). When you caught it, you need to walk along river's bank and search for another fish.

Lord Royou likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.