Fishing?. ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OrionSnake, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

That is precisely what I'm talking about with an active component.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. enderandrew

Active component means it requires active involvement from a player to react to something dynamic in the game so it can't be macroed.

Removing fishing from the skill tree because you're afraid of mini-games doesn't solve anything. If anything, it makes Fishing worse because you're not rewarding in crafting trees overall, and there is no depth in advancement.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I didn't suggest removing fishing from the skill tree. Geez.

As for grinding experience by fishing, there are two approaches to that. Approach one: grant experience but require user interactivity. I don't want that. It's tedious and boring and exactly the same as every single other crafting skill. Approach two: do not grant experience but let users fish in a more relaxed way. This is my preference, for reasons I've already explained.

There are obviously not the only two approaches, either. If the devs can find a way to make fishing nice and relaxing but still prevent macroing, then great, I'm on board with granting experience for it then. I make the suggestion above simply because I don't think such an approach exists, and I really don't want a version of mining with different graphics and nodes that are in the water any more than I want to have to stare at a bobber and wait for that bloody splashing sound.

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  4. enderandrew

You said "Fishing had its own skill tree" and that it shouldn't give you XP in the normal crafting tree. That is removing it from the skill tree.

If it doesn't contribute XP to the crafting tree, you've removed it. Why? Should we do this with every single gathering skill in the game? Or are we splitting into multiple systems?

How does affect balance where gathering wheat can level me up, but fishing can't?

You're not fixing anything with this suggestion, but you're adding in a myriad of problems and complicating the game design because you're convinced there is zero way something that requires active involvement can be fun.

5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

If we get a system where we have to stare at a bobber or harvest nodes, I'm going to come right back to this thread and say, "I told you so," because I'm willing to bet dollars against donuts that it is quite practically impossible to create a fishing system that is both engaging and fun. Many games have tried, and the ones that have come closest to succeeding have only proven their systems to be novelties that quickly turn to annoyances.

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  6. enderandrew

You're concern is that fishing won't be fun, so you want it so simplistic that there is nothing to it? And you want to break up the crafting tree as well?

It just seems like a poor solution to the problem.

I think a better solution is providing suggestions for how fishing can be made to be enjoyable. Good mechanics are still fun even when repeated.

7. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I know i have said this before, but i so much prefer UO style fishing over say WoW style. Just let me mash one button and fish while I watch TV or read another website on a separate monitor or something. Fishing has to be relaxing or it just become pointless work.

8. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Yarrgh mateys, fishing eh? Tis the sport o'kings, or at least sea kings... but it doesn't have to be one that requires a right regal attention during the act. O'course, ye can perhaps have extreme fishin' in areas which require some set up first, which will make the chasin' of yon beasties challenging; but anyone who doesn't appreciate sittin' with some rum and enjoyin' the relaxin' waves doesn't really get fishin', and wants to turn it into some sort of busy work. Nah bucko, I sticks me rod over some water, I watches fer fish, I catch the fish, sometimes, I beat it up a bit first if it's a herring, I eats the fish... or sell it to me magical mates who can turn it into wondrous sparklin' stuff. That's where fishy skills should be; same with any resource gatherin' really... the talent is in what ye does with them, not mostly in how ye gets them. Don't go leavin' no lures to the infamous Grindfish mateys, we don't want to be attractin' that fellow none.

Ye can perhaps have other things to do which would add fun instead; perhaps mateys with Lighthouses attract certain big beasties to their light, or special powders lure unique deep sea monsters; Ye can see from me adventures in older Britannia ye can have lot's o'communal fun with rewards for catching fishies, if it's done right. I don't think we'll be getting much deep sea content until the "Trout O'The Avatar" second expansion mind, but there's no reason why we can't have giant crab bosses and inland malarky from fishin' yon rivers and whatnot fer now; So if ye want excitement ye can optionally unleash the crabs, but if ye want just a snooze on the shores, mateys can do that too.

Did I tell ye about the time I dressed up as a cow, and won the Azeroth fishin' cowntest twice over? No? Anyway, twas a dull story. An' whilst such high intensity fishin' can be fun mateys, but don't be fooled none... in a MMo settin' all the worst elements come out, from lurin' mobs onto each other to stockin' up on speed boostin' wotsits or specific classes (fortunately me cow costume had a free option o'extra Wolf runnin') to selfish refusal to share knowledge, to... I admit twas good to actually become yer own prey an' see through the eyes o'a fish, and that powerful rod were nice to wield, 'tis true... but it weren't true to the heart and soul o'fishin' mateys. That lies more in peace an' patience than doin' the 100 metres sprint. Some sorta size contest as discussed durin' the deep dive would be a better way to approach rewardin' such niceties, so people can do it at their own solitary pace.

I just wish them lovely wooden ships weren't so expensive in non-New Britannian gold ta get hold of. I could so some right proper fishin' off one o'them I'm sure! An' no lighthouse for poor Nemo...

Sir_Hemlock and Montaigne like this.
  9. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Reliving the moments of hauling in the days catch, bags, and bags of shoes and boots. All the way up to 8x8 fishing for nets on a top of the line boat. The good old days!

10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I love fishing. Great suggestions so far.

I remember reading a historical report that before the oceans were over-fished, you could walk along the shore, or a pier, almost anywhere on the East coast of Australia, look into the water and see it teaming with fish. Now you just watch the trawler go past as the sludge rises to the surface...

I'll try to post some fishing suggestions later.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. Borg

Borg Avatar

That is not really true, you would be amazed how easily a script can solve dynamic situations......
    In order to limit macroing impact its much better creating some kind of time/quantity restrictions.

12. kronides

kronides Avatar

I hope they have a good fishing system. My main was a fisherman in UO and that will certainly be what I play again, game permitting.

Lord Baldrith and Lord Trenyc like this.
  13. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

My main concern about fishing is that it will be unrewarding. Please don't make trophies the phattest fishing loot!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.