Fishing

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

New fishing tools:

Casting net is for catching small fish and bait. Can also be used to catch medium fish from a passing school. Net decays over time and success rate is governed by the base fishing skill.

Spear is for river fishing and can catch medium-large fish.
    Spear decays over time and success rate is governed by the base fishing skill.

Crab trap is for collecting barnacles and seaweed, catching crabs, bottom feeding fish, and can pull up the occassional rare non-fish item. If a crab is caught in the trap at the same time as a fish, the fish should have a chance of being dead upon trap retrieval (the dead fish is automatically turned into cut bait when double clicked).Crab trap decays over time and success rate is governed by the (obviously non-existant) Rigging skill. The Rigging skill would be a second tier skill in the fishing tree.

Harpoon is for dealing with very large fish, sharks, chaos fish (probably more suitable to introduce this when boats come out)

New Bait:

Black Cutworms, a second tier bait. Significantly better than worms and has a higher chance of being recovered with bait recovery than worms.

Beetles (as in what's used for Carapacian stuff) should be a premium bait that's for catching rare fish.

Cut bait (fish that have been cut up into little flesh chunks) Used for catching larger fish, including sharks.

Mobs and Loot:

Kraken, (of course KRAKEN!) Mermen/Mermaids, Giant snakes, Large water elemental, Seaweed monster, and giant squid. And of course these mobs would have some sort of unique loot. These mobs would randomly appear from fishing or perhaps from attempting to open a locked treasure chest, which you just fished up.

Rusted shut and locked treasure chests that can be fished up with barnacles on them and more than one version of this chest. (deco) and also a treasure container.
    Single barnacled boots (deco), Rusty anchors (deco), coils of rope, Pouches with small-medium amounts of gold and cotos.
    Messages in bottles
    SOS bottles
    Bottles containing treasure maps

Cooking:
    Barnacles - Ingredient in new cooking recipes
    Seaweed - Ingredient in new cooking recipes
    All sea creatures provide some sort of meat or body part that goes toward new cooking recipes

New creatures/fish to be caught:

Sharks, shrimp, sting rays, puffer fish, octopi, dolphin, crabs, chaos fish, electric eels, jelly fish, sea horses, and more. (Make the electric eels a component for crafting special kobold recipes that require electricity)

Fish tanks:

Various sizes of craftable fish tanks. The size of the tank dictating the size of the creatures that can be kept within.

EDIT: Ice fishing. I don't have a suggestion on how to include this in the fishing tree but I wanted the idea present.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Almar

Almar Avatar

All that looks excellent. MiBs and Maps? I'm in! :D

Luca Xante, majoria70 and Applerust like this.
  3. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Would be awesome if the giant snakes fished up were also a unique tamable. When they have some ice zone fishing you could even catch an Ice Serpent.
    [​IMG]

4. Hemswal The Descended

I'd like that too :)

majoria70 likes this.
  5. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

When we get boats Ice Fishing could be the top tier of fishing and could require a decent crew to pull it off. Could definitely see more of a treasure opportunity in such dangerous waters from sunken ships.

As a bonus for boat fishing it could offer a "Diving Apparatus" with hoses that attatch to the ship. When used you could enter an untetwater zone to explore.

[​IMG]

Due to the equipment you'd have to wear combat wouldn't factor in skill, but would have its own means of combat that would be equal to all skill levels. It's more about knowing how to handle a situation than relying on your own abilities. HP and weapons would depend on the suit you choose. Harpoons (ranged), Nets (crowd control) and Tridents (close range), just to name a few.

Having the suits not rely on personal combat skill would allow for newer players and devoted crafters to be equally viable. It's more of a dungeon-like minigame. Imagine the "Woh!" factor with newer players to experience this kind of system. Given that this would most likely be an add-on to a boat it wouldn't have to be released at the same time as boats. Devs could take their time to make it amazing while we're already enjoying the boating system.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Fei Akhart and majoria70 like this.
  6. Hemswal The Descended

Yes, Kobolds could easily build such devices...

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I'm Pro-bold for the plucky lizards and hope they become factionally friendly to those who wish to get on their good side and prove not all humans are evil monsters. Read their lore, we're the bad guys! :eek:

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

hmm how can i say this?..............

keep fishing and visiting fishing shops! you may be surprised sooner or later. Ill leave it at that.;)

Fei Akhart likes this.
  9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

To make this more valuable you could have it so Deco fish for the tank can be taken out and put in other tanks, but have a limited timed life outside the tank. There could be a mobile container version like a backpack for solo fisherman that requires fishing skill to add bonus time to, but would only hold 1 fish at a time and you can only carry one of these containers in your pack. However, boats could house the craftable model for secure bulk transport of exotic deco fish.

Non-fisherman looking for exotic fish would most likely go to the owners house to obtain and recall back with their fish to make it to their tank in time, but it promotes exploration and I'd love to see a :D"pet store":D settup like this.

You could have a store with seversl tank sizes, a variety of regional fish and a mini-diver toy modeled after the diving suit for the tank! :eek:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Elay and majoria70 like this.
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

It drives me nutz they keep pushing back fishing for other items...

What would be nice to see is if there were a difference between fresh water and salt water fish types.

This might be out there but if there was a water ecosystems archetype that one could transplant fish from one zone to another. This would also introduce invasive fish what you would have to fish out or find one that would clean out the other.

What I foresee well down the road might be farming has the ability to have a pond to stock with fish.

Sean Silverfoot and majoria70 like this.
  11. Hemswal The Descended

@Bushmaster Somehow, I doubt the system will go that direction. But, who knows? The devs will surprise you sometime.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well we should have an uproar on it. Let's all ask them to re-think their thoughts to not have fishing updates in before release. We have a measly 3 types of fish and empty waterways in all the lands. A couple of scenes have fish swimming around and that is totally awesome to see but you cannot interact with them. Ravensmoor in hidden vale is one place you can swim with the fishes and one reason I love that place.

Last telethon I did ask about the fishing update and they said no it would not happen before release and this is an outrage. It is one thing that would have added to the repeated exploration of scenes thus helping to connect the world for this game. Imagine you need to visit a certain scene to find a different type of fish. Some like colder climate, some even swim in lava such as the lava fish who has extreme durability and is needed for it's tough hide.

The reasons for fishing to not be added before release should be rectified. As always I beg for fishing to become important in this game, along with agriculture updates.

Taking some time on systems that connect the world would of course take coding, but as it stands now flaky reasons to visit scenes are constantly getting added into this game and not one of them give connective reasons for us to explore leaving us empty after the attempts.

They say just run here and get this bundle or that artifact and fight this thing a zillion times for it. Perhaps True you fish for a zillion fish, grow a zillion plants but it is a bit different to the dynamics of this game. Missing, Missing, Missing the details to connect the world is a mistake imo. So much possible for these systems and true they will be updated later, but it is up to us to ask for them to be very, very special and not flaky. Just imagine how the world could be.
    @DarkStarr fishing is hugely popular. Very fish because what reason is there too. I do fish a bit many days while chatting with a friend before he logs off for sleep. We are hoping beyond hope that the developers of this game realize we need a improved fishing system as soon as you can get to it please please please.
    Edited 3/1/2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  13. Hemswal The Descended

@majoria70 I would also like to see fishing in before release. No existing skill tree should be as mundane as fishing is once the game is released.

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Hemswal The Descended

@majoria70 I wouldn't expect it to be as complex as my request but certainly not as mundane as it is in it's current form.

majoria70 likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes perhaps not. It isn't like adding in game achievements which the game has to track and have certain things happen ;). So lets' rally for fishing ;) *picks up picket sign*

Governor Tempest and Applerust like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Come! Get your torches and pitchforks here. Three for the price of two. Come on over and line up. Torches and pitchforks get them while they are hot!

[​IMG]

17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Getting them to acknowledge the neglect to fishing is like getting Chris to shave his head like he said he would if the load times were not cut in half that patch. It has be pushed back what 3 or 4 times now?

It did not make their top 10 things to work on, and as much as the players want it I do not think we can get them to do anything half assly with fishing before game release. If we push and fight for them to do something thing it just might be disappointing and not worth it, and they would just have to waste time to go back and fix it.

We can only hope that they have our past list of things we would like to see for fishing, and they will be a patch just for them.

Meanwhile there are other games with great fishing in them to play...

Governor Tempest likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes we can request it in the masses. That is one thing that brought treasure hunting to their vision. Darkstarr made a comment about it like he was surprised. He said I guess a lot of people want treasure hunting and we think it is a great idea. In my opinion it is best to not give up easily because they do forget.

Things we asked for and discussed on these forums in 2013 most got lost and there were some fantastic ideas. We have to keep reminding them since they are developing and can overlook important things. They need to know what we like and the details of what we want to see. So I ask the community to request the things you want to see and the details of it.

The worse thing would be if they don't see the importance of something and don't add it. We need to let them know the things that are missing in this game for us and so they can then do what they can to make things happen that helps the game.

Governor Tempest likes this.
  19. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I agree with @majoria70, we need to keep on top of the fishing ideas. Not so much that it makes them mad and they add an update that is not worth it but the Devs do get side tracked on other things and I think it slips their mind. Maybe bribing them with booze might help..... Just a thought.

Since the beginning (Release 10 for me) all of us had some great ideas that should not fall by the wayside.

Maybe we should start a new thread again and add the old stuff and some new stuff?

Applerust and majoria70 like this.
  20. zerothis

zerothis Avatar

I want fish tanks and fish farming.

Applerust likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.