Fix.The.Map.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Pickwins2, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Could not agree less. SotA map could be removed completely and should be in my opinion.
    That said I know many love the feature so removing it would probably cause an uproar.
    I use GPS all the time in real life but it is truly a crutch more than anything and in my opinion a GPS system has no place in a medival fantasy setting.

2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I could not hit the "like" button but you're right. It's an inconvenient truth.

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Maps? Where we're going, we don't need maps.

(adds 88 friends per hour)

4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

What the maps tell me, is that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try reading maps instead of burning them!

@Paulie Walnuts You started it! lol ;)

5. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I hope that there will be maps of the starter areas - Solace Bridge Outskirts, Blood River Outskirts and Highvale Outskirts - either as an item or in SOTAmap for new players to use.

6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Also SotA map removed ALL desire for me to explore. Just chose to have my hand held.

7. 3devious

3devious Avatar

8. oplek

oplek Avatar

I had mixed feelings on the map data. I don't think zones should be included, when ever secret is revealed. It's fine if you're just trying to get around town and find the adventuring trainer.

I don't think I'd mind if the map went away, actually. There's other maps in-game, which were rendered pointless.

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I also prefer the in-game maps, not sotamap. Sotamap is great for my other browser window, I do not like it integrated, it is clunky.

Improve the in-game maps, complete them all, and this will make most ppl happy. Please also incorporate the little arrow tracker that shows where you are on a particular map. Also allow us to make notes on such maps. Can't be that hard???

Tanglewood, Ataniiq, Roxanne and 5 others like this.
  10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

lol people suggest to buy sotamap....
    don't buy sotamap.com.. it's just not worth it.
    It's a simple web app, almost any programmer can do it.

Code your own ingame map system at some point, much easier to do so and gives you 100% control and you could do so much more with it then.

Don't get me wrong, integrating sotamap.com was a nice quick addition/solution. But yes, it is clunky and slow...
    At some point 3rd party tools for SotA like sotamap.com need to die.

+100000000

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  11. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Full ack!
    Same for the Multiplatform support.
    The SotA Linux client still has no SotAMap support after 6 Month and still no ETA.

They do not consider it necessary to communicate in the Known Issues. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I using the website and prefer it to the in game map because it takes forever to draw. It's nice to have it available but the resources used in this build aren't worth it.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Are you seriously proposing having NO map? Yeah, that'll go over real well at launch with new players. Including this new player, me.

14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I played EverQuest with no map for years - the map is only useful when it makes no logical sense you would know it - eg before youve been to places you know where they are, or where people are in a town you've never been to, once you have been there you tend to remember where it is so you dont need the map any more - Id rather not have the map, I was disappointed when it came in game just because it made so much too easy

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

That said I know many love the feature so removing it would probably cause an uproar.
    I am suggesting keeping the original maps but making them easier to use and get rid of sotamap.
    what you think of my opinion is of little importance, my opinion is probably of little importance but it is my opinion.

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Not true at all. We all have a voice. My voice speaks from 20 years experience in MMOs starting from UO. I can tell you that the people that have not yet played this game will expect a map. I expect a map.

There are maps (as scrolls) in the game. This society has maps.
    So, lets make em usable,

17. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

I had a big pile of paper printed maps before I got a second monitor for EQ1. If you don't like the map, remove the keybind. I would argue the vast majority of players today want an integrated map. Preferably it would have a fog of war and only show areas you have been but it should be inside the game.

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

FrostII likes this.
  19. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

Integration of SotA map was something I didn't find desirable, but I see soooo many people using it and depending on it. I think with the current gaming culture people don't have patience to explore and run in circles to find their destination.

I would be happy with just map scrolls that are in game. Adds more exploration and critical thinking when looking at a flat traditional map than one that tracks your every location with an arrow.

Have the town crier just sell the local zone maps. Maybe have ones for dungeons world drops.

But yeah clunky 3rd party integration isn't the right way. Also Port wasn't going to have an in game map in game, but too many people were getting lost in Novia that they thought they had to implement it. I hope it's only temporary.

20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Exploring the Lands of Novia could be one of the most interesting things in the whole game, ... if we just could see our progress ...

A map showing all from beginning takes so much from this feeling away!

Having a good map, just showing our progress, combined with a great quest Journal, is one of the important things we are missing. It gives so much fun and satisfying to see, we make progress - not only in leveling or upskilling...

I asked a lot of threads and on telethons for and I think it's very important and should be done for launch!

Consider, how exciting it is for a New player, having an empty map, starting with Solace Bridge, than Solace Bridge Outskirts.

And really: The Outskirts are big and great, but you get lost as a new player in Outskirts without a map...

How wonderful life is ... now...
    when an intelligent map system is here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.