Fix.The.Map.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Pickwins2, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

There obviously something wrong in the codes... And the guy that made sotamap hasnt been around since half a year or more. Yet the game integrate it... Very bad decision. There is solution all over the web to create in game map and some already made for unity. That would have been the best choice.

2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

It was working for a little bit last night and crashed on me.

3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

This make far too much sense for any RPG. But I think I've heard Port wants to make Shroud different from other RPG's, or something like that. :rolleyes:

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I wonder how many of the players clammering for maps remember the old maps?

previously we had stuff like this - you bought/found them in game - Im all for these, these are purely in game and do not have the additional info and you dont start with them you have to get them.

[​IMG]

5. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I remember. :)
    And thats all what I want.

6. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I remember them well, early on they even had a pointer for your own position. (as a nod to ultima's that could be tied to a sextant)
    If these maps were available for all scenes that would be sufficient for me (old school), if it is convenient enough / can satisfy expectations from "today's" gamers remains to be seen.

Also, creating a mapping skill would add up more non-combat skills that could be used in game and actually are useful.

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If they make this map work like you said with sextant and all that could also be a footstep for treasure map. Would be nice

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Fully aware of them, were always mostly useless to me because I've never played Ultima or UO and can't read the runes, have been selling them as soon as I get them for three years now.

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

He was away for around 4 months, but his last post was a week ago and last login about 5 hours ago.

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

That's fair enough... But a 4 month absence only underscores how bad of an idea it is to rely on a community member for a dedicated game system.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the creator is in any way responsible or should not be gone for four months. I'm saying don't rely on 3rd party apps.

11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think the choice was : no maps (for now), or make sotamap work with the M key.

I agree, that an inhouse fully-controlled solution probably was best, but someone went and made a detailed reasonably attractive and accurate map and maintained it well up to a point. For me I'm glad they integrated it because it was better (for me) than loading a separate program and requiring an offsite download. This is not letting them off the hook for the creation of their own map system (or aquiring this one if they like working with it and it makes sense).

It sucks about the broken scenes etc. but what sucked far more was no map at all.

As it is: I'm not a fan of the ingame appearance, it feels like a window still. The SotAMap credit at the top I don't like either, or the "layers" part of the map with checkboxes. I liked the artistic style of the initial maps they did in-game. Though I know we would never see the same level of information we do with SotAMap (that's a pro or a con depending on whom you ask) and doubt we'd have seen the customization of the POT maps etc. since the ingame ones were hand-drawn. And there's many many scenes to do (and re-do).

I don't think taking ownership (or doing their own maps) is off the table.

Budner and Numa like this.
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just consider the integrated SOTAMAP as the working prototype for the real thing. Now that we know it's strengths and weaknesses as an ingame map and which features are good or not then efforts towards a better version can start in a good direction. Prototypes are invaluable in this way as they avoid the pitfall of investing in a full development process only to find out in the end that it doesn't work.

In short, the SOTAMAP experiment is/was a good thing and Port can now move forward with full confidence on a better solution - whatever it is.

13. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

This! You said it better than I could. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone is knocking SoTAMAP or Port for implementing it. Despite it's imperfections, it is a work of genius and I for one can't play the game without it. It HELPS me explore. And I'm sure it is helping new players as well.

14. Numa

Numa Avatar

SOTAMAP has been invaluable to me too and I am very grateful that Jakub has spent all this sweat & effort in setting it up for us.

I also think that we musn't be so afraid of criticism to the point of being too afraid to try out solutions or ideas that will lead SOTA to where we all want it to be. There are still many challenges to come but fear shouldn't be the primary motivation that drives us and this project.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  15. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

From beginning of playing since 2014, I collected the in game maps. Studied them and ... missed things. Important things. (Well, someone mentioned the missing translation of runes ;))
    All is written in the posts above and further threads of others or me about a good Journal and Map system.

I think, the huge and wonderful Highvale Outskirts showed again, how important a map is.
    Not only for (first) orientation, but also to enjoy to explore the lands and showing our game progress :)

And I think, we're talking about two things:
    Overland map, showing our explored points, marked point of interest.
    Village/Town... maps, showing details, where to find what. The actual ingame maps could be connected to the Overland map.

There could be two options for us:
    Explore the whole village/town... OR buy/find a map ;) And if we found/bought a map, wouldn't say, ALL is included.
    But if I think of this torned map of Ravenswood - may be THIS special map could have a point of interest, not shown on any other "new" map ...

Think about ingame maps from Elves or Satyrs in THEIR language?
    Need to find a translator! How interesting could this be? ;)

Treasure hunt could be so funny with a good mapsystem :)
    And runnig around and exploring would be more meaningful ...

And do not forget: a connection between Quest Journal and map would be so helpful :)

Last but not least:
    SotAmap was a great help and I am thankful, this kind of map was available. How could I have finished the paths without? Beside this: without any map and forum help I would stray somewhere ... well, who knows, where? ;)

To have the feeling of diving into a story(!) is far away from the past experience. It makes quests like "good it is over", instead of "great! I liked it!" And shouldn't it be a great experience to visit all these points of interest, (sight)seeing villages and towns and big citys ... on our paths through Novia as Avatars?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree, maps like this are what should load in the map UI. I'd rather have them load there than have to haul them around as scrolls (as we have enough other stuff to keep track of in game).

liz_the_wiz and Mykll like this.
  17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Bring on Cartography as a skill.

Numa, Alleine Dragonfyre and Mykll like this.
  18. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

I thought SotAmap adaptation was temporary at best, due to players' high demand. If keeping SotAmap even after commercial release is the option devs are considering, I plead that you don't. If SotAmap is indeed an alternative option to maintain until own map system is developed before commercial launch, then it's ok.

This is not something to be cheered, but a must. An MMORPG without in-game map? Of course I agree with @Paladin Michael at some point regarding not taking away the joy of exploring, but not making your own map system because there's 3rd party map and takes too long to develop?

Don't go that way. It's a system that must be implemented BEFORE launch.

You're better than this, Portalarium.

P.S. : My deepest compliments to SotAmap developer. You're a life saver.

3devious and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  19. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Are they?

Yes what he has done is amazing. For just the land rush alone, having something out there with a basic idea of what towns look like. Not to mention all the added shinies implemented since. Enough so quite a while back I supported him through his Patreon monthly.

3devious and Max Bennis like this.
  20. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

As a contributor(although a small amount compared to others) of this development, I sincerely hope so.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.