Fix your random number generator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randbo, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

    Net Avatar

    Messages:
    3,737
    Likes Received:
    11,216
    Trophy Points:
    153
    But how do you explain that last time I had to restart computer 20 times because it was always stuck loading start up programs and on the 21st restart it worked. I do not know of any reasonable explanation for different behaviour after so many restarts.

    Anyway @Spoon is right that in soem cases the chance might get modified and number used for the roll is different than the one you see.

    I still dislike true randomness that is in the game, but trully random data have lucky/fail streaks and you really need huge sample size to analyze them properly. Even with 80% chance of something your chances to fail 4 times in a row are once in 625 tries I believe, and that is not that big number. With 20% chance to do something, you have 1% chance of encountering 20 fails in row I believe... That is like one player out of 100 will fail 20 times when trying something for the first time. One player out of 1000 will fail 30 times in a row... that is random for you.

    EDIT I really hope my math in the example was right.
     
  2. LoneStranger

    LoneStranger Avatar

    Messages:
    3,047
    Likes Received:
    4,779
    Trophy Points:
    165
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Petaluma, CA
    Is there a big difference in the behind-the-scenes number and what is displayed? I was thinking less about rounding, and more about some internal difficulty/environmental modifiers.
     
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. LoneStranger

    LoneStranger Avatar

    Messages:
    3,047
    Likes Received:
    4,779
    Trophy Points:
    165
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Petaluma, CA
    Assuming you gave it the same amount of time before restarting, usually this would mean that whatever changes it was making persisted to some degree and it didn't have to start from scratch each time. Also could happen if the air flow of the system or the room temperature changed or power level was different and whatever driver/system component that was getting stuck made it through.
     
    Net and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. Chris

    Chris Tech Lord Moderator SOTA Developer Ambassador

    Messages:
    2,487
    Likes Received:
    27,855
    Trophy Points:
    190
    Gender:
    Male
    Yes, but the thing is, people like to argue about the closest thing to a perfect random number generator. In reality, the differences are just simply not visible in anything but a statistical proof. You will not see a difference in player perception of them. Also, many of these random numbers are being rolled on the server and there are hundreds of random numbers being generated for other players or events between each of your rolls. In short, if you're arguing over the output of an RNG, you don't really understand how they are used.

    Feel free to keep this thread going but don't expect me to take part in it and keep it light hearted because there is as much truly applicable science involved as you'll find in the average Tarot card reading. Don't get me wrong, tons of science in PRNG but none of it is applies to this problem or is responsible for the problems players see in games. It is a long tradition for players to blame PRNG for their problems though so keep at it. Usually these are the same people who will flip a coin five times and get heads every time and then think, "Now I'm due for some tails!" I'm glad those people exist though because without them Vegas wouldn't stay in business!

    On the other hand, if you see something you believe to be truly statistically improbable, feel free to report that as a bug and we can scrutinize whether the numbers shown to the players matches the math you can't see. That is always going to be the more likely case and will help us track this stuff down. Just don't report that in a thread titled, "Fix your damn RNG" though because it will likely not get looked at. :/

    If you truly can't stand randomness in games, I suggest a nice game of chess but even that starts with a random check to see who goes first. If a single random number truly meant success or failure in a combat, I would agree it sucks but a normal fight is usually involves 50-200 RNGs and no one single one will make or break the combat. If you have a fight that pisses you off because you die because you got a bunch of bad rolls back to back or he got a couple lucky crits at the perfect time, just remember how pleased he must be right now. The RNGs also makes it so you likely have to react and change your strategy mid fight. Also, while you might think it would be fun for the most skilled player to win every time, it would get old fast for both sides to have completely predictable results. Again, I believe in a skillful game BUT I don't believe having RNGs makes it less skillful or less fun.
     
  5. Berek

    Berek Portalarian Emeritus

    Messages:
    3,978
    Likes Received:
    12,841
    Trophy Points:
    165
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    I've locked the thread. I think that's all that needs to be said here.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.