Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed] Fleet flute buff not working

Discussion in 'Items & Inventory' started by Barugon, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

4/27/2018 7:08 PM
    Title: Fleet flute buff not working
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No.
    Details: The movement speed buff from the fleet flute is canceled as soon as I stop playing.
    Steps to Reproduce: See "Details".
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16) System RAM: 32158
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 8192
    SotA.Linux.64.769.Date.04.27.18
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (35.6, 13.6, -56.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgzNS42NDUsIDEzLjU3NywgLTU2LjE5Myl8KDAsIDAuOTQ4LCAwLCAtMC4zMTgpfC0xNDIuMjA2fDMwLjcyNzY5fDQw

hroth, Dhanas, Rada Torment and 2 others like this.
  2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I was just coming to report this same bug (same thing with Harp of Invigoration).

I know the patch notes for build 769 say:
    • Fixed an issue where buffs from instruments were active while the player was not actively playing the instrument.
    ... but when you play the fleet flute, your run speed is slowed to a walk, and you can't fight anything. So, the +3 Move Speed and 10% Attack Speed are sort of worthless if the buff drops when you stop playing it.

Please tell me this is not intended to work this way! If so, you just made one of the best artifacts in the game and deemed it worthless.

Tamsen, kaeshiva, hroth and 3 others like this.
  3. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Lol... playing a fleet flute slows me to a crawl (because you're playing an instrument) and the attack speed buff can't be used because you can't play in combat... LOL. Someone didn't think this one through very well...

Tamsen, FrostII, hroth and 3 others like this.
  4. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Augh! Also on my client it keeps trying to flicker restart the fleet flute buff after I jump, conflicting with the other movement buffs like Dash.

5. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Considering fleet flute only effects yourself, it's basically broken now. Not to mention even if it did effect your allies, you'd need at least 10 other dps in your party (which is impossible) for the 10% bonus to make up for the loss of 1 player. They might as well have removed most of the instruments from the game with this nerf.

Tamsen and hroth like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Huh, well I guess they ruined the rest of the musical artifacts. The fleet flute can how join Embry's Harp.

hroth likes this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I mean, can we get some feedback from the devs then about what the goal is here?

Why even have these items if you can't use them?

Don't tell me "group content" the buff isn't good enough to lose an active DPS, and a low lvl character isn't likely to have one of these laying around so they can "contribute" considering the rarity of the drop and that you have to farm high lvl stuff to get it.

If there was an instrument that constantly healed everyone in the party or gave a significant (note: SIGNIFICANT) buff, I could see having someone stand around playing bard. But we're talking like, something 10x better than the instruments currently give.

Take a game where solo play is still the most lucrative activity (unless you're doing a control point)
    Give players an artifact that kinda helps them a little bit with moving around, or with regen. Let them enjoy this for a year. Then decide that solo players were never meant to have this and "fix" it.

They don't even look different, so they aren't even useful as deco.

discipleofweb and hroth like this.
  8. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Well... here's a pretty direct hint.

Could be we've been playing for a year with the bug, and now it's been fixed (my emphasis in yellow):

04/25/2017
    Super hero day today at daycare. Maxine went as bat girl. One of her class members went as an astronaut because he said that astronauts are real superheroes. #hopeforourfuture
    • Meteor Shower should now effect players in PVP. Previously it was just working on creatures.
    • Fixed Knight Marshal's Winged Helm to not break set bonuses
    • Updated confusion fields to not effect dead players
    • Updated all Cabalist effects to not effect dead players
    • Fixed all artifact instruments to be easier to use. They were only attempting to recast 1 time every 20 seconds and if you weren't busy with a note right at that moment it waited another 20 seconds to recast. Not it will check every 5 seconds and the buff will last 30 seconds. NOTE: Many of these do not and will not help the user. For instance, the fleet flute and stealth instrument do nothing for the guy playing them!
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/chris-daily-work-blog.85584/#post-798468

9. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

More like this was a giant DERP moment when thinking about balance. Fleet Flute only effects the user, not his party. In fact multiple instruments have been changed in this way. Fleet Flute gives attack and run speed buffs, neither of which can be used while playing since you can only walk while playing and can't be in combat while playing.

If the buff only effects the user, but can't be taken advantage of by the user.......DERP Also, in an 8 person party, if they fix the instruments that only buff the user and you boost attack speed by 10% but lose 12.5% of your party to gain this buff.......... then you are losing a net 2.5% attacks per second (assuming your party is made up of all melee attackers) DERP AGAIN.

The buffs either need made much stronger so they actually offer some sort of bonus that makes it worth taking one person out of the fight, they should revert the change, or they should find a new way to implement bardic powers..... like a skill or skill tree. Otherwise most of the instruments are degraded to novelties with no real benefit and some of them actually becoming negative gains to use.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Tamsen likes this.
  10. Almar

Almar Avatar

Came in to report this - it's been well reported already! :)

11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

For those who didn't notice, we had multiple build failures yesterday and multiple major issues that HAD to be patched before the weekend. That meant a late night for many of us. The result was we were all up working late on a Friday and all artifact instruments are mostly trash for the weekend.

I do need to start a discussion on how to balance the instruments though. Until maybe last release(?) you had to play the instruments for up to 5 seconds before the effect would trigger and then it would last 30 seconds. A change was made recently that made it so it casts on the first note and lasts 30 seconds. I've already been hearing people talk about their macro setups that keep the effects on permanently or that let them cycle 4 instruments for buffs. Knowing that was a possibility was why I originally had it not trigger for several seconds.

That delay in when it triggered was the balance for their otherwise VERY powerful buffs. The idea being that sure, you could have someone buffing the party with these instruments BUT it would be a full time job so you're losing a party member for them. That was mostly how it worked until the change so it instatriggered on the first note.

Now, I hear players are paying 100k gold for instruments and that they are going to absolutely RAGE if I change them in anyway, even just back to how they were a before they started insta-triggering. So first, no, they can't stay how they are. Second, what do you think is a fair design. Would you rather go back to the old system and have them last 30 seconds or would you rather they not block movement speed but only last when played?

Lexie, hroth, Alley Oop and 3 others like this.
  12. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I agree it needs to be a major "inconvenience" to play these mid-battle. So a 2-3s delay for playing and then a buff that lasts for 30s sounds like a decent compromise. 5s was too much for me to ever use the instruments previously but that's a judgement call. Just saying maybe theres a middle ground between what they were for R52 and what they were before that.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

People are constantly looking for more power without wondering IF it's a good thing on the whole. I guess that it's a natural behaviour but balance is balance. People playing one music note to get buffs sounds absolutely stupid, while in the mean time, it's a good thing that we can get buffs that are NOT in the magic trees (movement rate bonus with fleet flute is the only efficient way to replace Dash).

One other exemple of that is the water elemental NOT taking damage when healing you when Avara is around or healing without any interruption in PvP. I'm not sure it's by design, because it's only a side effect for NPC not having focus but it's not good for balance and people will litteraly rage if you fix this (knowing that, besides this, summoned creatures are not worth it, actually).

Good luck with that.

14. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Same here , fleet flute not working :(

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I want it to take a few seconds to activate, last 30s after playing

But i want it to INCREASE in EFFectivness every 10 seconds its played!!!

So solo people can use it but dedicated bards in a group MAKE IT STRONGER @Chris look at this!!! Do this ^^^^^^

Sara Dreygon and margaritte like this.
  16. Jagmas

Jagmas Avatar

Was watching a streamer last night contemplate if he was going to continue playing after this kick in the pants (following the damage resistance issue that hit him hard) but he was going to wait and see, but the stream was salty and deflating .

Just change it back to Pre R53 settings (ie old system/30 seconds). Playing last night was disheartening after the change and I was looking forward to playing this weekend but now not so much.

Ooga Booga likes this.
  17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

@Chris Yes there are alot of us that would love to go over the "bard" role, define it more and find out where it is going. There should be a Bard skill tree, that could include a skill that say makes the effect last on the user longer thus giving some ability to gain the buff for a time without playing it. Skills that could branch off into specialization of certain buffs. Also crafted enchanted instruments for other specialized buffs. It could be pretty awesome if you are going to require a dedicated player for it.
    A nerf is fine but it has to grow in other areas to make up for that or things will appear as a loss.

Ooga Booga, FrostII and Sara Dreygon like this.
  18. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

How about:
    • Must play for 1 second
    • Buff lasts for 30 seconds
    • All music buffs in same channel so they don't stack

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I think an easy/good solution to people macroing all the instruments like that would be to have it so only 1 artifact instrument buff can be active at a time - using another will cancel the first - like how the str,dex,int buffs work..

20. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Main issue is IMO this could have been talked about and planned a bit and then the change made next release.

I agree with Arkah. Have the fleet flute affect others as well as user but not slow the player to a crawl when played but start out at 0.5 move rate and increase every 5 seconds played until it tops out. Same with other instruments.

One channel so no stacking.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    EMPstrike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.