Fixing the "Useless Artifact" problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mangar, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mangar

Mangar Avatar

Hey folks,

There are 2 big issues with Artifacts:
    a. There is too many of them & most people don't care for them as most artifacts are USELSS.
    b. They are all the same, there is NO random factor in two of the same type.

-- SOLUTION --

When salvaging an Artifact besides the boring Essence one would also have a chance at a "Artifact Blueprint"
    Let's say at Salvage Skill 120 your chance to obtain a Blueprint would be around 90% (this can vary depending on which artifact). Once a Blueprint is obtained it can be learned and used to Craft THAT artifact only. It Should also require a Artifact essence to craft and a very high Crafting skill (at least 110 +). Each Artifact crafted this way can then have proper materials be used for maximum potential.
    Let's take the "Ancient two-handed sword" as an example, you would now be able to use an Elven Hilt + Meteoric Blade if you like to create it. Upon creation it would gain it's previous Hidden property of + Dmg to Elves (which would show now, like a proper MMO should). Because it's a Artifact it should have a random higher chance of being created with much higher durability range: 175 - 250. This would allow great randomness for crafters to either Sell that awesome one with Durability 245 as is, or take a chance and see what else you can add to it and then sell it than, or greatly increase your blood pressure with a failure..

** (For now you would only be able to create the exact item you gotten the Blueprint from, so the Ancient two-handed Sword Blueprint ONLY creates another Ancient two-handed Sword)

Folks this would revive the poor economy and give new life to hunters and crafters.. Think about the randomness this could create and the fun it could add without ignoring the Hunt or the Craft.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's a good idea.

I like the idea of being able to apply the property to different things as well. So you could put that on a ring instead.

Boris Mondragon, K1000 and Feeyo like this.
  3. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

I think this is a great way to stimulate the economy and to give the artifacts, the majority of which are virtually worthless, some purpose. Maybe even give them a value.

Boris Mondragon, K1000 and Feeyo like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

K1000 likes this.
  5. Mangar

Mangar Avatar

Not bad Redfish, but I feel it maybe a bit too complex. The above system is Super easy to implement, I think Chris can do it Solo over a good weekend.. since he is home now

Boris Mondragon and K1000 like this.
  6. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Not familiar with an Ox ring... must be one of the worthless POS artifacts I don't have 20+ of. That said, the majority of the rest are in fact virtually worthless.

7. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Even IF, and that is a big if, "SOME" artifacts are still useful as you say, you are admitting that the majority of them are useLESS. Which is the entire problem. Why not allow something like what Mangar is suggesting to make that majority useful also? I agree, there are a very very few artifacts that are somewhat useful. But even those could be improved upon with the suggested system. What is not to like about that? Evidently you like the stagnant economy we currently have with supposed high end artifact items selling for 2k.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Useful or not, drop rates right now are such that we've got duplicates hanging around.

So having another thing we can use them for is a nice way to dispose of the excess, and make them exciting again, stir up the sand pot, a shoot rainbows everywhere.

[​IMG]

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't have anything against these ideas, but I think the surest way to have more items that aren't worthless is to have a strong focus on situational items. There's already some things like that, but there could be a lot more. The only normal gear piece that isn't useless is the best one that you can get.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

What if you could apply the Essence of the Mouse to a couch?

It'd make you tiny while you sat on it.

Yeah?

Belt of the Ox Essence could turn you into a cow. Sitting on the couch. Chillen.

11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It'd be a cow couch.

12. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Have all other promises been kept? I'm guessing probably not.

The loot drop v crafting issue is one that has seen people leave the game. While "crafted is the best" is admirable it ignores one of the fundamental and addicting gameplay loops of RPG's. Go out on an adventure with your friends with the giddy excitement that you might get a weapon or armour upgrade. It's fundamental. Even the original D&D had it. I think the minority probably want to be crafters and going out shopping for items has to be the most boring way ever to gain new equipment in a fantasy RPG.

Boris Mondragon, Windmane and Feeyo like this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

I thought one of the points was that they could be masterworked and improved upon... that what drops is just the beginning point. Then again, trying to masterwork artifacts sounds like a PITA.

14. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

The bottom line is that there is an issue with the artifacts. Excess useless artifacts ultimately become essence for the 15ish good artifacts in the game. This crafting idea actually is really interesting and thought out. Possibly adding an exceptional artifact proc for added durability for enchants. A boy can dream.

15. Ashendie

Ashendie Avatar

Artifacts do seem a bit pointless at the moment I agree but making it possible to craft/reforge them with high skill could cause other issues. Artifacts would be the new "must have" hurting crafters who can't forge them and players that can't afford them. Would be like Upper Tears but for gear :)

Great for the super high level crafters and their gold balance but would suck for everyone else.

OR..... maybe make it that only the person reforging the artifact can use it and potentially make it high durability but un-repairable.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Where are all these artifacts dropping from??

17. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Well, at least you've got enough essence.

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I get them from yellow supply bags but most are so useless in their present state that I either smelt them for essences or just sell the yellow supply bag for igg on my vendor. Now take the OP’s idea and add being able to sell all the crap nobody wants to buy for 75 pct of what it’s worth in crafting/enchanting/MW and we are in business. Then we can make the garbage disappear and have a more robust economy boosting the need for farming mats and demand for crafting.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Oh those. I rarely see those when fighting Tier 5+ humanoids. They seem to be extremely rare. Sometimes I find a grey one and get a tomato and a cookie.

Feeyo likes this.
  20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother come farm stuff at crags I get 2 -4 in a two hour farming session off elves and skeletons while loading up on carapaces, wood and iron products

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.