Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fizzle Rates ARE NOW A JOKE

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Skyo, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Actually, Stundorn makes complete sense. And, he is correct.

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh yes I see what you mean.
    I think I misread it as no more melee casting everything and heal and earth etc...
    Not my mother language.

I don't like it was or is possible to have a full tank plus Earthmagic and Heal with less fizzle.
    It is just op and everybody then levels all, no archetypes etc.

Maybe People with weapons should really just use potions to buff and only lower magic up to t2

3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

When did this start happening? I'll admit I haven't played most recent MMOs, but back in the day, a lot of the classed systems clerics were limited to cloth, just like other dedicated magic classes.

Paladins are hybrids, yes, but not a cleric. Cleric is a dedicated healer, just as much as a mage is dedicated to spellcasting.

As someone who mixes magery and swords (dual-1H), it can be done; you just have to sacrifice the heavy armor. As paladins being a hybrid healer, you shouldn't have access to the full range that a dedicated healer does. To be honest, healing ray, healing touch (both I use as my staples) make for quite a bit of healing capability.

The point is, I don't use, or expect to use the full range of weapons options or be as effective when at the magery/healing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

As far back as 1993 in Sierra Online... EQ and Dark Ages, Pretty Sure Asheron call and many many other MMOs and RPG games. Monk Clerics = Cloth, War Time Clerics have always been chainmail and plate... albeit it was a type of Quarter Armor with cloth, not full plate.

Simply search online for MMO cleric armor... and look at the images... you will see it across many many games...

5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I can agree whole heartedly with that.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

In classic DnD, clerics derived their power from the god they were dedicated to. Since this "divine" power was essentially "borrowed" - heavy armor or chainmail didn't affect it. Traditionally, clerics who rode into battle wielded maces or blunt weapons so as not "to spill blood" as edged weapons like swords copiously do. Mages derive their power internally so are subject to cloth limitations.

In faerie folklore, iron or steel were deadly to these magical folk so silver or light magical alloys were their preferred metals. Maybe the faerie and mages derive their power from the same source :)

Hazard and uhop like this.
  8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

You mean to tell me I could've been walking around casting magic in FULL PLATE all this time??

No wonder everyone else is a better mage than me!

9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm not aware of a game titled "Sierra Online" only Ken and Roberta William's company (I think they did a short-lived game "Realms Online," but frankly it was really short lived and I don't know much about it). I wouldn't say "always" either. A number of systems have put clerics in cloth. In ones that did, it was one of the distinctions between clerics and paladins. I don't know about UO, but some of the earlier Ultimas limited clerics to cloth, if memory serves (it's been a LONG time, so I could be mistaken).

Edit: I was mistaken, in early Ultimas they limited druids to cloth, clerics to chain.

10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

In my opinion this change is going onthe right direction, but I think it may have gone too far.

So I am a leather wearing, pole arm casterwith 70 in the reduce fizzle glyph. I don't have a lot of problems with many spells, even in the air tree but it seems like a little much when moving.

The two handed halberd drops me 15% on fizzle. This is understandable, but if I am in peace mode and my weopon is sheathed I should not have that fizzle affecting my peace bar for dash.

Movement dropping fizzle almost 29% for someone in light armor and swiftness is way to much. This should be reduced a little. I am sorry I like to RP my character as someone that can walk and chew gum at the same time, maybe even run and chew gum on a good day. Almost a 30% fizzle added for moving is
    Rediculous.

I will wait to see how this all falls out tomorrow after the patch, I heard there might be some changes. I really just hope they reduce the movement penalty a little. And I would be good.

Numa likes this.
  11. Gix

Gix Avatar

Which I think is why the Life tree (or a few spells within it) has a relatively low fizzle chance. While it may be a balance issue, they should still be able to cast Death magic, though.

Maybe fizzle chance could be not as severe but have potency also be affected.

Overall, I'm pleased with the changes.

Numa likes this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.