Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fizzle sucks hard now

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by TarrNokk, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I tried out about 45 minutes worth of spell fizz testing this morning. It didn't seems to bad from my point of view. Given I use leather armor and a two handed polearms, so it's not as bad as full plate.

The fizzal chance is still much higher, however by no mean are any of my spells unusable. Moving and casting powerful magic should not be an easy task in my view. Both game balance and reason that would throw me off.

I'd say they are pushing players to make decisions for the first time on what to wear vs what they do. This may not apply to very powerful players at the moment. IDK / However making people choose carefully what (kind) of play style they want a bit more seriously is a good thing in my view.

Nothing against people who are full plate dual wand waving champs. Some things just seems odd when I see them.

2. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

This seems not logical. Fizzle affects every player, no matter if low or high level.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, but if you wear plate or wear robes that makes a huge difference. For example, I wear robes and have zero fizzle, which is a good thing since I cast tons of spells.

If you're wearing armor and trying to cast tons of spells, why would that be fair to me, someone wearing far less protection? It's not very difficult to understand how they're attempting to balance this. The more protection you have and the more offensive your spell casting, the more fizzle you have. Want less fizzle? Time to give up some protection or some offensive capability (or even level up the focus tree innate ability, Follow Through). But there's no longer going to be an option where players tip the scales on one side or the other and don't get the negative effects that are part of the design.

4. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Join the Light Side.

Melee Healers Anonymous only currently has one member (the founder) as everyone else heals o_O. Fresh blood is needed......

5. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Pure Vegan
    I would have no problem to wear cloth as an archer with regard of protection. Cloth gives a huge amount of focus and with enchants and masterwork you get the choice for protection and focus, leather gives not more protection than cloth but with masterwork and enchantments you get dex and str offered. I think the main problem is, that archer/melee don't have a dex pool. Mages and melee/archers are using the same focus pool. Let magery consume focus and weapons as well as sprint use dex. Let there be a stats cap so you have to decide to have more focus or dex. Let fizzle be skillbased, so with grandmastery in a spell you have 0% fizzle even when you wear heavy armor, but due to your low focus pool you can cast only 2 spells...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Belgtor and uhop like this.
  6. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I dislike this update quite a bit. I've always like the idea of wearing plate and healing. Before the update, I was able to heal. That has since changed. Now Healing Grace, Resurrection, Healing Burst, and Purifying Burst all have 100% fizzle chance *while standing still* and I'm not even using a shield! My previous healing spec with a shield and plate was viable. Now I literally can not cast life magic except Healing Ray and Healing Touch (And Healing Ray fizzles ~25% of the time).

This is with high follow through skill.

Healing magic shouldn't be condemned because I'm in heavy armour. Perhaps allow light armour to have a bonus to their effectiveness, or efficiency, but I really don't think healing in plate armour should be flat-out disallowed as it is in this current build.

EDIT: Well, I'm pretty confident this is something that will get changed and made less harsh. I took off all of my armour and weapon for the free-hand bonus. I have an 87% fizzle chance completely naked. I seriously doubt that's accurate and there is either a bug fix or review coming.

uhop, zyxe, Chatele and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

That seems like a bug. I'd report it.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I was able to heal for a group today wearing plate armor, but yes I did fizzle much more, I am also raising every fizzle reducing thing I can. So we will see. I will look at it more tomorrow. ;) I may have to try to heal in another type of armor ;)

9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm happy to report that a mix of epic cloth hood+chest & epic leather leggings and boots now incurs just 20% fizzle with a 3rd level earth spell while wielding a longbow. A staff cuts that down to zero and with the new 30% fizzle reduction on that mage weapon - even the use of a leather chest piece should still yield very low fizzle rates.

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I've been playing a chainmail air archer since a month after persistence. RIP.

It works if I take most of my armor off...

Bows should not have the same fizzle as a two handed axe.

11. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I now tried playing my air/archer in cloth, just my wolfhat hasn't changed. It works as long I can hold mobs on range. but still 15% fizzle while moving is too much. Edit: Follow through:90

uhop and zyxe like this.
  12. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Agreed. New fizzle chance changes are too much. I don't mind a bit of a change, but most of my fizzle chances have doubled.

Chatele likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

OK, even with 50 Follow Through, my fizzle is worse completely naked than it was before with full armor and a bow! I was hoping that if I worked Follow Through that I might have close to the same chance to resurrect my pet. Nope! :(

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    uhop likes this.
  14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Please use this thread for all fizzle concerns... all other threads have been redirected to here.

15. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Has this been addressed in the latest patch?

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm still not comfortable with the reacting to the fizzle changes. I worry that instead of trying to adjust your character to the changes people react and make the fizzle get turned up and then turned down and then up again. I would like to hear how people are working with the fizzle as it is now. For items in the game to have value, we have to have some discomfort that makes us use what is available in game to counter the effects. These should be things like imo:
    potions
    armor and stats and enchantment options
    type of armor and enchantment options
    type of weapon and enchantment options
    food choices
    buffs
    ***and not in game but missing and should be is rested bonus from sleeping***
    Now I know what counter argument to this has been mentioned that this game is classless and we should be able to do it all given this fact, but if that hurts the game and the validity of the above list to make them valid options and marketable then it is not good for the game. So again I would like to hear what people are doing and trying to get a handle on fizzle as is. And of course imo. ;)
    edited ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  17. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I am on 90 follow through, full cloth dressed now and bow and have still 1) lightning 17% 2)chain lightning 15% fizzle while moving which is ok. But I lost 7 dex and 2,9 damage resist without my leather gear. I'm doing well in cloth, but its way harder as additional to fizzle my hit quote deacreased drastically, missing rate on yellow mobs at about 40%.

majoria70 and Numa like this.
  18. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I think the part of the problem can be solved with more armor types:

Quarter-Armor plate with Enchanted cloth, or Constantan Chainmail made with Diamond = tuned to life - Cleric armor 15% Fizzle Rate Life and 85% Fizzle Rate Death
    Full Cloth w/Diamond = tuned to Life - Cleric Armor 0% Fizzle Rate and 99% Fizzle Rate Death
    Full Plate made with Diamond = tuned to life - Paladin Armor 25% Fizzle Rate Life - 75% Fizzle Rate Death
    Full Plate made with Emerald= tuned to earth - Tank Armor 25% Fizzle Rate Earth - 75% Fizzle Rate Air
    etcetera etcetera... It would also make using Chaos magic much more needed. However, then using Chaos Magic would affect virtue... yadda yadda yadda... the higher skill the enchanter who makes the armor, the better and with less fizzle rate the armor could turn up with.

For the GM everything people...
    then for the learn every skill to man people... for innate abilities like resistances (no penalty to weapon classes)
    However for every 10 levels in say Fire... you would lose 1.5 ability points (starting and gradually increase) in certain melee classes
    and for casters vice-versa

for example... say you have trained 700 points into heavy armor, but then you decide I'm going to put on light armor for a bit and level up the direct opposite of heavy which would be Air... You get air all the way up to say 200... then the next time you equip heavy armor, instead of being at 700 your skill would drop to 670 overall... subtracting from your level 5s and working upwards in your skill tree.

Might be a little difficult to code now... but it would stop the I'm everything classes.

then you could get classes like:
    Paladins - life heavy full plate
    Clerics - life heavy quarter plate or chainmail
    Sorcerers - cloth - all spells
    Mages - cloth summoners (pets stronger)
    Wizards - DPS (Fire, Death, Air, Water)
    Dark knights - death heavy full plate
    Dark Clerics - death heavy quarter plate or chainmail
    Battlemages - Leather
    Tanks - earth heavy
    Pikemen - Shield polearm heavy
    etcetera etcetera

Tiina Onir and majoria70 like this.
  19. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I would appreciate a fizzle reduction on chain armor so I can use crafted armor some day. Currently using pledge armor for less fizzle issues.

20. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I don't mind the penalties for choosing things as certain choices wil negatively impact other skills. But in a class less system it should be a usable penalty not a oops your screwed that doesn't work.

Right now in leather, polearms, follow through at 80, and moving I have a 50% chance to caste lightning.

So my choice if I use Air is not to move (biggest hit to fizzle), switch to a wand (rediculous I am going to be bludgeoning someone with a tiny stick), or move to clothe(lowest increase to fizzle and would probably still be unusable while moving)

If you going to make certain templates unplayable you may as well just add a class system that tells you what you can and can not do. No point in letting someone train something they think will be cool, just to find out it is worthless due to over penalization from a knee jerk reaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.