Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Focus Nerf kills tamers

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Brass Knuckles, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Anyone who tamed and played before I applaud for your dedication to a craft long since discarded by the devs (sadly) .....

Caree Death and Brass Knuckles like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh Darkstarr just said taming would get some more love. Here's hoping ;)

Numa, Brass Knuckles and King Robert like this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

I "rescued" a small crocodile from the dismal depths of the Epitaph just to see what taming was like and am now keeping him as a pet. After reviewing all the silver, time and XP and HP spent on getting an animal at 50% his former strength plus the skill points needed to heal/ressurect him - I've concluded that elementals are a better way to go (combat wise).

He's now happily basking in the garden while I tend my mandrake :)

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

121 in taming thanx to a s*** ton of grinding and helpful guildies.

98 in summoning. 100 in combat passive.

I tame fero reds for sale regularily.

I was so stocked for it. And i use it probly less then an hour a week currently.
    The only time a pet makes sense for me to use is when im mining. And then i use a bear. Lol.

Sometimes i use a pet to do green wolves. But this becomes a nightmare as the pet moves entirely too slow and ends up chasing things all over the map. Not to mention ao many good mobs are undead, so the fero reds just become garbage to them.

All in all taming love im super excited for. As ita just wasted exp points atm for me.

Summon pets might need tweakin, but the fact your currently using them, shows they still in better shape then the tamed ones lol.
    So far a water elemental at 30 points is more use then my fero red lol.

Phoenix007 and Numa like this.
  5. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Sad, really sad.....

Taming should be really strong, just like it was in UO.
    Currently it's pretty much useless :/

6. JamesKrieg

JamesKrieg Avatar

I know it seems fruitless at the moment. the game isn't perfect, Taming it seems is one of those skills the dev's must never have played before. learning taming on my own ( meaning i don't have a friend healing me or getting it's agro so i can free tame ) has been rough for me but it is the skill that i loved in UO for 16 years. when i tamed my first large wolf I was elated being a very low leveled character, however it was short lived because i found i couldn't summon a pet i tamed... to me this makes no sense, about the same nonsense of buying a whistle with a ferocious pet on it and being able to summon it with 40 taming and 79 summoning. I found it disappointing at the very least. I keep telling myself the game isnt released and i'm sure they are working on a fair balance for taming. At least I hope they are. The amount of focus required to keep a pet out is crazy though and with the latest focus nerf it is just plain death of a tamer in training. I don't like the froze in place while taming stance either.. you cant do a thing but sit there and take the beating. I dont care for the fact that my tame pets at full health cant keep up to a mob i'm fighting while i walk backwards fighting it either. things like this should be brought into light for the Dev's. I'm happy to be a tamer in training here, and disapointed as well.

Numa likes this.
  7. eli

eli Avatar

so related: currently, if you have 300 focus, and 44 summon skill (seems reasonable right?) Your focus goes negative. your status bar glitches trying to reconcile a - / - fraction. Obviously, you then can't cast any spells at all. personally, i think level 44 creature is perfectly reasonable for a character with 300 focus... so i would rather the fix be setting a % floor for remaining focus, rather than making pets unsummonable..

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that both the focus debuf and the pet level debuf are currently way to severe.

Prime2 likes this.
  9. Daggoth2

Daggoth2 Avatar

Is summoning broken now? I can't even summon my chest mimic. Granted my summoning is only 17, but jeez, after 75 clicks of the summoning skill, "your call was unanswered" is all I get for a response.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It's a bit silly but it's dead.
    As in the pet is dead and need pet-resurrection to get going again.

They changed the behavior in that it used to be just a scene switch and it would come back. But now you can/need to cast pet-resurrect on the summoning whistle.

Please feel free to make a bug report on the misleading message, if enough of us do then it might get some attention.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Lord Ravnos and Numa like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This also requires Resurrect Creature from the Taming tree, as Resurrect from the Life tree cannot target a taming whistle.

Numa and Spoon like this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Unless its been changed in last few days? Rez from the life tree works on your pet.

I havnt had pet rez on my bar in months. And every now and then i kill off a pet to remind me how bad pets still r lol .

Spoon and Numa like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

It does? Do the regular heals work on the pet too?

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes but they are less effective.
    However since it is a relative effectiveness versus your skill level it is usually a moot point since most avatar's Heals are so much higher than their pet-heals.

Numa likes this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thanks @Spoon & @MrBlight, I've been avoiding using my combat pet until I could have the ability to resurrect/heal it. This simplifies things.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, it does but, as I said, you can't target a taming whistle, so if you need to resurrect a pet that doesn't have a corpse then you must to use resurrect from the taming tree. The resurrect from the taming tree can also be used without reagents (although the fizzle is high).

Spoon likes this.
  17. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

the resurrect on the whistle thing is just for reward pets like the mimic, right?

After my bears are dead for 5 minutes, they seem gone for good... maybe i've just been abandoning them?!

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup, rez works on all pets. You just have to use it before the pet vanishes.

Numa likes this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

But that's true for EVERY skill in all of the skill trees.

They already said that Blade and Fire were the most advanced of the set, so there'll be spending (eventually) a lot of time on the other skills... but even with that said, that doesn't mean they won't go back and actually polish Blade and Fire.

20. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

I wasn't clear enough. Usually i can find the bear corpse and res him within 5 minutes... but with this "resurrect the whistle" thing, i wouldn't need to find the corpse? or i could leave the zone then res in safety?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.