1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

food change

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Lars vonDrachental, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I was thinking about a possibility for new avatars to partake in the cooking process, a possibility to have usage for more than a handful of cooking recipes and also a usage for the randomly dropping food as loot and this would be my suggestion to change the way food is used.and have also created a corresponding cooking skills suggestion

The first change would be adding some kind of hunger system...but before you complain not something were you are starving if you do not eat. :D
    If you don't eat there is nothing wrong but if you do you can get some buffs.
    I guess there might be some better names but in this example I will stick with these:

Fat = land animals = strength and health buff
    Protein = water animals = intelligence and focus buff
    Carbohydrate = plants = dexterity and regenerations buff
    and maybe Booze = alcoholic drinks = buff with advantages and disadvantages

Fat
    This value would be based on our health. If you have 500 base hp (without modifiers like potions, blessing,...) also your fat saturation would have a maximum of 500, if you have 700 base hp also your fat saturation would have a maximum of 700. This way high lvl avatars will need a little bit more food than low level avatars to get the same buff...you could see it as some kind of balancing and as a side effect the market for food is growing over time.
    Depending on your current fat saturation there would be different buffs you could get depending on the "fill level". E.g.:
    0% = no buff
    1-10% = +1 strength and +5 hp
    11-20% = +2 strength and +10 hp
    21-30% = +3 strength and +15 hp
    31-40% = +4 strength and +20 hp

Protein
    This value would be based on your focus in a similar way as the example above. The protein saturation would have comparable int/focus based buffs. E.g.:
    0% = no buff
    1-10% = +1 intelligence and +5 focus
    11-20% = +2 intelligence and +10 focus

Carbohydrate
    This value would be a combination of your health and focus divided by 2. With 500 base health and 400 focus your carbohydrate saturation would have a maximum of (500+400)/2 = 450.
    The carbohydrate saturation would offer dexterity buffs and would add some Regeneration effects. E.g.:
    0% = no buff
    1-10% = +1 dexterity and +0.5 health regeneration and +0.5 focus regeneration
    11-20% = +2 dexterity and +1 health regeneration and +1 focus regeneration

Booze
    As an addition I would like to add booze to this feature as some kind of "chaotic" buff. This one has maybe just a fix max value for everyone like 100 with different effects and if there is currently not already a recipe I would also suggest to add a recipe e.g. coffee to remove alcoholic effects instantly.
    0% = no buff
    1-10% = +3 strength and -1 intelligence and -1 dexterity
    11-20% = +5 strength and -2 intelligence and -2 dexterity
    21-30% = +6 strength and -3 intelligence and -3 dexterity and +5% damage resistance and -5% chance to hit

The second change would be how food is working. Currently you get buffs depending on the food you eat and that way low level food is uninteresting. In my suggestion all food could be used to refill your saturation and get the buffs and even if the more difficult recipes would offer the largest effect you could also eat a lot of low lvl food to have the same gain of saturation. E.g. raw food might add saturation values between 1 and 5, low level food could add values to saturation between 5 and 20 and high end food might add values between 50 and 100.
    This would of course need a lot of work to adjust and balance new values to all available raw and cooked food and might be the most time consuming part of this change.

The third change would be a fade effect for the saturation values.
    I would suggest a small loss over time like -1 per 15 minutes and a possibly larger loss depending on your activities.

Fat
    As this is based on your base health is seems reasonable to connect also the fade with your health or more clear with the loss of your health. E.g. if you lose 100 HP by an attack, by falling down or any other way you also lose 1 fat saturation. If you lose 245 HP you also lose 2.45 fat saturation.
    Remember these are no final numbers and just examples to describe the mechanic if 1% is too high maybe 0.5% or 0.1% might be more fitting.

Protein
    This will work similar but with the loss of focus. E.g. if you lose 100 focus by using a skill, jumping or any other way you also lose 1 protein saturation. Again just example values.

Carbohydrate
    Again this value will work alike but for halved focus and halved heath loss. E.g. if you lose 100 focus or health you also lose 0.5 carbohydrate saturation. You know...just example values. ;)

Booze
    Well I guess for this the standard fade effect should be already sufficient.

The last point is the visibility of your saturation. As a minimalist I would think the buffs you get would be already enough guidance about your saturation...but as there might be other opinions I would suggest to add some bars and/or numbers to the character window that display the four saturation values comparable with the visibility of your attributes.

I was also thinking about the possibility to overeat but aside of maybe booze and a random loss of fat, protein or carbohydrate saturation by puking I see there more problems than benefits if avatars have to be careful with eating.

All in all I guess in this system all food would be valuable and useful and this way no food would be a waste.

And just as a final reminder: All values are just examples. :)
    Ideas?
    (Edit: added the same colors as in my cooking skills suggestion)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Gotta give you credit for a lot of thought, a lot of work, AND good organization and presentation. Good luck. We need deep dives in so many mechanics. Too bad our team does not have the (person-power) for everything. I hope that they keep plugging along and we find our way to a deep satisfying game. In any event, I feel the bones are good and over time will be fleshed out.

3. Lars vonDrachental

Thanks. :)

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This is actually very close to the way @Lord British first described his system, where foods would all have values for carbs/protein/fats, and those higher in one would provide bonuses geared toward combat/magic/crafting. It sounds like an awesome system, although it might have been too complicated to implement.

5. Lars vonDrachental

Now that you are mentioning it I think too LB was describing a comparable system in the beginning of SotA but had also some other ideas like rotting of agricultural and cooked products…something that might be a nice addition too. :D

Currently every food has a more or less unique buff the devs had to create and this will be the same for all food recipes they will add to the game. But just a few recipes are constantly used out of this pool of recipes as just these are offering the best buffs. I guess there would be technically no big difference if the devs would instead create saturation values for food and onetime creating a set of saturation buffs everyone uses….the big difference would be the usefulness of all food.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

excellent, added with other entry -- great input, thanks! One of these days cooking will be getting some love, hopefully some of these ideas get in there. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.