Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Foods...

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Has anyone tried various foods to see what effects they give? I tried bark bread (+1 health, +1 focus) and mutton stew (+1.5 health and +1 focus). Neither of these brings focus regen back to R33 level (they also don't stack BTW). What foods will bring focus regen back to R33 status? Are there any foods that will bring focus regen above what it was in R33 or is this all simply nerf management?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I did and I do hope that there is going to be more to it. Like some foods make you faster, (sugar high), eating too much will slow you down or make you woozy, and other interesting buffs to things. But I'm sure that is the plan. Usually things start out simplified and are then added to. *sighs*. Also I want to be able to set plates of food out for guests and so far they are not deco. In Everquest 2 they had some foods like a big bowl of eggnog that others could drink from, it was alcoholic and you could get drunk off of it if you drank too much ;) Great for parties ;)

monkeysmack, Gaelis, Chatele and 8 others like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope there are other buffs too. For now, though, I'm just concerned with managing this nerf, because regen is really slow now. Between this and the focus cost increase, it's not going to be much fun. :(

cobran, Arc, Chatele and 9 others like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah well hopefully the benefits will outweigh the negatives. So we shall see, and then if not, then it will get balanced, so not all is lost ;)

5. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

We shall see really soon ;).

At Ordinis Mortis at least Luca's vendor will be ready to sell various food dishes starting this upcoming weekend.

Hornpipe, Spoon, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Don't you worry @Lord Barugon , just stop by my vendor in Parrots Roost on your way in or out as i intend to have them well stocked with edible fancies :)

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Another Focus Regen Nerf as covered debuff for not eating?
    Well played -.-

8. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I'm actually down for eating some kind of regular food giving a minor sustained buff but I hope such a thing won't inconvenience people who aren't into consumables too much.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In the spirit of Ultima, we need a fart emote for when we eat overpowering foods o_O...
    [​IMG]
    We had allot of farts in UO right :p?'
    ~Time Lord~:D

10. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Higher tier food give 2hp/tick 2 focus/tick and +1 to either str, dex or int. For 1 hour

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I may be in the minority but I'm not happy to have yet another impediment to a reasonable pace of gameplay. Now if I want to hunt, I have to wait longer for regen (which was already a time suck but I understand the need for it) or I have to go the grocery store? Damn.

This dev team would benefit from learning a basic lesson about human behavior. Which is that people don't react well to having things taken away. So we get used to a certain mechanic and then they nerf it in the name of introducing another mechanic. In this case they slow regen and make us eat food.

Better approach is to maintain the current level of regen and make it even faster if you eat a buff.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Birne Gilmore, moko, Aldo and 14 others like this.
  12. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The nuance is not that an intended system is being taken away, it's that the intended system from the start is now beginning to replace the placeholder system.

13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

True, to an extent, although it was never made clear to my knowledge that regen rates would be negatively affected when food was introduced. If it was, I missed it.

My point is that if they introduce a placeholder system, it would be better designed if expectations were lowered from the outset, rather than dashed when the placeholder is removed. It's just good business. Don't alienate your customers by giving them too much and then take it away. ESPECIALLY when you're not only taking away some functionality, you're also requiring them to perform tedious tasks (shopping and eating) just to return to the functionality they enjoyed before the placeholder was modified. Boo!

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

An unbridled system carries the hamstring of an economy spiraling out of control, as well as causing areas intended to be difficult to become nerffed into what becomes then routine to the player. In this way, yawning becomes a far greater threat to any game than adding any more difficulty or complexity to it. We wouldn't want our SOTA to become a dinosaur fossil that looks like every other dead dinosaur from it's simplicity.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Lord Barugon and Budner like this.
  15. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

I agree.

16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

In relation to the nutrition system being put into place, its importance is something LB has championed in game (to a group of us in Kingsport as far back as Jan/Feb 2015) and I saw it personally whiteboarded in Austin by him. From this I had an idea that food and beverage would be much more than a added benefit, and would have game-play benefit/detriments.

There are probably going to be a few more of these moments, but as they are developing all of the game in front of us, and while I agree with you on the personal cringing of getting comfortably numb on the current play style of the month, there has to be a deep acknowledgement that the changes will occur.

Personally I like the dependency opening up on consumables as it drives the crafters to busy themselves to make it. Granted, there has to be a way for the adventurer to just grab and keep themselves sustained as well, maybe even to the point of eating anything that is available.

Tl;dr - there are still many placeholder systems we are accustomed to, don't be surprised if they all disappear and something odd and perhaps more wondrous appears to replace it -- perhaps just not overly wondrous to you personally.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Specifically, which foods and does that +2 bring you to R33 regen rate?

It really sucks that we now need difficult to make and expensive foods just to get back to where we were instead of getting a nice buff.

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  18. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Chaox pork and beef loan = 2 HP regen, 2 focus regen and + 1 STR for an hour
    Darkstarr Fried Oyster id +1 int instead
    Dupre's duck Stew is +1 Dex
    Grannus Beef Stew is + 1 str
    Son of Regicides Stovies + 1 str too

All these above have 2 hp and 2 focus regen and last for an hour.

Can't tell so far if it takes us up to live server rate as the QA server regen was not nerfed last I checked !

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Where the hell do you get duck in-game? Also, if you haven't checked out current regen rates on QA, I recommend that you do so soon.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Butcher sells duck meat

Sentinel2, Time Lord and Lord Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.