Founders, Benefactors, and doing the right thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Nah dont worry :) . We are having a discussion here...civilized I hope. So no need to apologize. Just wanted to make sure people who read my post understand my thinking.

Indeed there may be some people that may miss the opportunity. The good thing is that they have about 2+months to find out about this and get their pledges upgraded. As for those who don't seem to be able to find anyone to trust enough, I would say the Marketplace has a good number of trustworthy longtime members who not only offer the service, but offer it in lower prices than the ones they would pay at the Portalarium.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, which I think is a very valid way to attempt to bring in more people. I've reached out to everyone I know in an attempt to get them into this game as a founder.

I think there are a lot of people that are waiting to hear more about pvp before they commit.

3. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Obviously it is, or this thread would not exist.

Basicaly this is what it is all about, sharing "founder" limelight with a few more people.

4. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

AdamZam has raised this point over and over, but it fails to establish itself as the topic of conversation. Until the next artificial cut-off date, why not just add an "upgrade to founder" button on the account page of the website? What reason is there to require transactions through a middleman and then falsely reward that man as a referrer all the while promoting individual business and advertisement on the forums? It just seems like a cowardly way to hide from the fact that founder status is no longer what it was promised to be on the KS.

On a side note, we are all bound to the ToS and most of us have agreed to the EULA, so we have already consented to Portalarium's "right" to cancel the game all together, let alone weasel around a few contentious issues. We've also agreed that our only option for any dispute is to cut our losses and quit (fyi).

Aegis159, Grayhawk, Kambrius and 5 others like this.
  5. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Indeed which brings us to the point of:

How much less faith someone who pledged between 20/5/2013 and now has from those early pledgers?

Drocis Fondorlatos and Nuemcy like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I didn't do wrong math, I just look at the total backers number on the home page all the time. When I logged in early in the week the total number of SotA backers was something like 4,975. Now the total is 5,024.

Again, this is just from memory so I don't know what the true total is. Maybe it's more like 150 people (but not much more that that).

I know you're thinking about the total money since this was announced, but I think the number of people is actually far more important at this stage of development. The reason being that money doesn't recruit friends, and money doesn't decide to upgrade. If this game is to succeed it needs players more than it does money, imo.

Joviex and Nuemcy like this.
  7. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

This is too deceptive. Adam has made his point 10 times now that this is not a thread about sharing founder exclusivity. It isn't fair for you to vilify him by asserting this falsely. This thread is about the medium in which benefactors are allowed to become founders. Integrity, business management, and public relations are secondary topics, and founders' feelings of being cheated is a tertiary topic at best.

Once more, and with feeling, the point of this thread is to say, "Port, if you want to make everyone a founder, ok. Just do it and stop walking on egg shells with needless and risky third-party transactions."

Ned888, Grayhawk, licemeat and 3 others like this.
  8. Nuemcy

Nuemcy Avatar

I must not have read it right then, my apologies sir :D

9. Drocis the Devious

@ Mordecai

Are you saying "Pay $40 here to upgrade to Founder?" because that's a good idea. The reason they didn't do this is to give founders a chance to get something ($25) so maybe they wouldn't come on the forums and complain so much (I see it's working well).

Nuemcy likes this.
  10. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Slow your roll, i didn't point anyone out. So you can stop YOUR sleazy move. Read the entire thread before you start your accusations.

The topic on making a "founder button" had been talked about and he topic migrated form there.

11. Drocis the Devious

What's really funny is that not only are people complaining that there are new founders, some people are complaining that they're getting $25 for creating new founders. :)

Gracekain likes this.
  12. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Yes thats what he means, I think.

13. Nuemcy

Nuemcy Avatar

It would be all the rage on the interwebs if they didn't offer an olive branch first and test the waters before just giving them away hehe

Edit: I kind of think it also starts the process of building community myself, but hey.. that's an old fashion notion I guess. Trust in my fellow Britannians (heh, almost put down Norrathians) and all

14. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

I have said that in nearly every single post of mine in this thread lol. It is the main point I have been trying to get across, that this backdoor middle-man method is a poor way to do it. Some people have raised the point that it was to help keep founders happy, but in reality only a few founders are really taking advantage of this and promoting it hard (look at the marketplace). I applaud their creativity in doing so, but I think it is an abuse of the referral system and not fair to benefactors to have to go that route.

All benefactors should just be given the option on their account page to just upgrade to founder status for $40, paying Portalarium directly and not doing a 3rd party transaction.

Grayhawk, Joviex and Mordecai like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Lol. Most founders aren't going to be doing it; they aren't going to want to compete with other founders in the marketplace, and try to find ways to advertise why people should do it through them rather than through others. All you're ever going to see advertise in the forum is a handful of people.

Maka likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Sorry if I missed this before, I thought you were saying that they should just be given a button to push or have it done automatically without paying the $40.

Again, I realize there is a middle-man here, but I think that speaks to Portalarium trying their best to hold out a hand in friendship to the original founders (a hand holding $25). I think that was a good move on their part. A very good move.

OSullivan and Gracekain like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

That's totally possible. I've heard a lot of people (new founders) talking about upgrading to a new pledge. But I'm not trying to argue this point about the money, it doesn't really matter. The whole thing was just another attempt to get more money and more backers. It's working.

18. Drocis the Devious

I'm now a new founder and like a virus I can gift to people now. Which is good because the game needs more people. This was never supposed to be a game for 10 founders and 4,990 of their closest underlings. So maybe this is just what the community needs to expand? I doubt it, but it's a good try.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

I understand that point but as others have pointed out it is only going to be a handful of founders gaining that $25 benefit, and they are going to be the ones advertising most strongly all over the place (some like Grace advertise it right in their signatures). I don't think the benefit to a handful of founders offsets the annoyance and unfairness to all the benefactors. The lines are so blurred now anyways, and the distinction between the two levels is fading quickly, it seems to me that the easiest option is to just let all benefactors pay directly to upgrade if they so choose.

What would founders have to complain about? other than the few currently gaming the referral system, the rest of us might complain that we are losing our exclusiveness... but that happens either way.

Lord Baldrith, Grayhawk and Mordecai like this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

I see your point, AdamZax. But as a new founder, I would like to hold on to my new found exclusiveness. ;)

Lord Baldrith and AdamZax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.