Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Free mode attacking

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by orcscout, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

Although I LOVE to see this being implemented (I was shocked that it happened), I was very disappointed to see how useless it was on this release. The reason why a big market of players wants this its for the game to be more engaging and skillful, not to spam clicks and buttons for the sake of spamming.

In order for this to actually work, there has to be:
    1. Crosshairs
    2. Skillful spells. i.e fire arrow should be aimed
    3. Ability to use shield or weapon to block attacks
    4. Segregation from mana and stamina. Stamina should be spent on dodging, blocking and attacking

PS. please remove that attacking bar, its disgusting; at least give the option to be toggled off.

EMPstrike likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I LOVE the new free mode attacking! It adds so much to the game which now is more dynamic in combat. This was a really great addition. Thanks for that.

Blocking would be cool and a toggle for every bar, outline etc. in the game would be welcome ;)

3. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

You dont need a chrosschair, look at darksouls works totally fine with out .
    This is the first prototype, we test it we give feedback and they will tweak it.

Freeman likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I love the new free attack mode, and it was a life saver in the first hours of R19 when, as a mage, I inadvertantly spent all of my gold on focus and had none left for attack or defense spells :confused:

Even now that I have several of my attack spells back, I like to use the free attack to preserve focus. Now it really matters what weapon I am carrying, whereas before, the auto attacks were not even noticeable.

Jivalax Azon and Myrcello like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I think I'm going to like the free attack also, but can someone explain the holding the key down for more damage? I use a two handed axe. So I hold the key down and I am not seeing more damage or that it does anything, perhaps I am doing it wrong.:(

Jivalax Azon, Mac R and Chatele like this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I definitely see more damage if I hold the left mouse button until the attack bar fills up. When I let go - whack!

I am using a halberd or polearm, and I have the impression that I have to keep a certain distance from the enemy. If I get too close, it doesn't seem to do damage. I could be imagining that however.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ok I will try more. I just tried quickly since I am off to bed now. Thanks Kara Brae, that is good to know that it works.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. orcscout

orcscout Avatar

I know this is the first prototype, and that was my feedback. I agree that everyone may not want crosshairs so a toggle on-off option should be ideal.

Chatele likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I wouldn't mind crosshairs at all. I loved the combat in Tera and it had them or some form of them.
    It could be something you could turn on or off.

edited**

Chatele likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That would actually make some sense to a degree. A swinging attack would do the most damage at range. But then that would be true for most weapons. Looking forward to playing with this feature.

Jivalax Azon and Albus like this.
  11. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I have yet to play R19 and try this feature (waiting for a replacement power supply), but I was very pleasantly surprised to see this attack mode in the R19 release notes. In my opinion, it is this kind of baseline they should have started combat off of. When implemented in a good way this type of combat is very exciting and immersive.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok having tried it now I think it has potential.. but as it is.. I can't say I'm in love with it. While interesting, I felt less effective overall. Targeting seems off, I no longer auto-faced when using skills.. I suppose clunky would be an appropriate description.

KuBaTRiZeS, Jivalax Azon and Chatele like this.
  13. Borg

Borg Avatar

I don't understand why they are using LMB for free mode, wouldn't it be much better a hot key?
    I would suggest playing a bit AoC to see how well their character control and combat system works....(its free to play btw)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Alright some things I'd like to see added/improved..

1. Your attack should be in the direction of your mouse cursor rather than just directly in front of you.
    2. Free attack should not disengage your selected target. If you use a skill it should attack your selected target as per usual.

So for example.. if I'm fighting a group and select a target.. but I see another mob is low on health.. I should be able to use free attack to attack the other mob while retaining my primary target using skills.

3. You should still be able to target normally with the left mouse button. That is a simply fast click or even double click without holding the button down. You can still do this from a distance but it still attacks.. it shouldn't attack unless you hold the button down at least a little.

4. The right button could be used to initiate a block or defensive stance. Yes I know the right button controls the camera.. but it seems that it can do both since it would be rare that someone tries to attack and move the camera at the same time. Where as with defense this shouldn't really be much of an issue. Alternatively perhaps defense can be customizable.

5. Free attack move for ranged combat. This presents some different issues as it wouldn't be effective in close range PvP.. but it could allow for sniping. There would have to be some reasonable tradeoffs here. IE better range but fewer options.. easily interrupted.. powering up improved accuracy.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well, I know some people use the mouse to control movement but I find that too awkward.. So if my left hand is controlling movement and skills and all my right is doing is pointing the camera.. then it does make some sense. The only thing the left mouse does in combat otherwise is single click targets.. and not much else in between.

16. Borg

Borg Avatar

That is because character control sucks, go have a look to Age of Connan videos and you will see what I mean.
    In AoC you feel you have total control over your character and your weapon swings.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

but how much of the world can you interact with?

Personally I rather like Skyrim's controls but when it comes to interacting with objects SotA's control scheme is better. But then how do optimize for both? Hold on.. I'm having a thought.. one I must dwell on for awhile I think. The essence of it is though.. what if the overall control scheme changed when you entered and exited combat mode?

18. Borg

Borg Avatar

Exactly

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i hate to say it, but i think there should be a soft-lock aim assist.. move the mouse too far away and of course it breaks lock - but once your crosshairs are on it for a second or two, you get the lock. even tera had a mild soft-lock on their combat, and i feel they did active-combat VERY well indeed.

KuBaTRiZeS and majoria70 like this.
  20. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Its very, VERY clunky.

There's no way to tell when your "input" is over so that you can activate your next attack or skill. At the moment it does nothing but interrupt normal combat. I used it for five minutes and disabled it again.

By Tor [MGT] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.