Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Free mode attacking

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by orcscout, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

R20 is going to be a focus on high level PVE content, Resistance and unifying damage magic logic (armor equates to resistance to physical), More polish on the free attack stuff, AND Archery.

Tekkamansoul, we'll get some more feedback in for R20. The target is something along the lines of Terra style. My dream is that within a release or two it will be so universally preferred that we can yank auto attack.

Also, for R20 bow stuff we're going to at least experiment with a no target, cross hairs system. The current thinking is also to move archery to have more charge up elements than normal combat so archers can pull and wait to get something lined up.

2. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@Chris one thing i always have enjoyed are the games that have a first-person viewpoint for archery. if a target reticule is needed in the future, it can be placed on the bow itself, that way. granted it would be a little more work to add a reticule on each bow design, but it would be much more immersive that way, without having a screen overlay with a big crosshair on it.

Shadoweaver likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh thank you so much Chris for that feed back I am a fan of much of Tera's combat, but I like our games overall heart and soul so much better.:)

Myrcello and ThurisazSheol like this.
  4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I have to agree. I find as a melee warrior that I'm spending more time trying to swing than usiung skills. for me the auto attack for a melee fighter made for a more flowing fight, less time spent thinking about swinging, and things died quicker. I also just double clicked instead of pressing, firing off the attack right away, and the amount of damage I was doing with a two-hand hammer was still in the range of the hold and press attack. With auto attack, I can kill things faster, I spend more time reacting to the potential of power up combos and building those, and I can move around better and still attack.

But overall, the mechanic, at least for me as a melee, was clunky. In the end I've gone back to use autoattack, especially for the fights with heavy hp mobs (like ghosts and liches).

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

You've got a long way to go in convincing me that this method is, or will be, better for a melee user than auto attack currently is.

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I
    He has convinced me already.

Chris likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think its comparable currently, but twitchy. Melee users are going to have to click their mouse A LOT to get this system to work for them. Holding to charge is great, but not doing any damage otherwise is making it lose big time to autoattack.

As a melee, I almost want a separate option to override autoattack with free attacks (or enable both autoattack & free attack, and have free attack override autoattack), so I can use charge attacks and attack on demand to try to interrupt casting, but use autoattack as a fallback so my wrist and finger don't fall off after an hour. This isn't an issue with ranged attacks and wands, etc; for those, free attack is far preferable than autoattack.

TheMadHermit and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm convinced that they're working on it. and very concerned about it - but it hasn't gotten to the point where I'd consider it a usable alternative, yet. I'm thinking a couple scrums dedicated to that subsystem may be whats needed.

9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I agree with your comments. Having both for melee might be nice. And I believe that free mode is a better solution for bows and probably wands. I just find that trying to multitask (something that isn't possible) between swinging and combo creation to be a chore. Power up combos are important for me as they seem to be more powerful than single attacks (yes I know obvious). Besides I hate having to run around trying to swing at a moving target, try and fight the air and fire elementals in the lowest level of the Crag mines.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

While the scrums have provided a lot of combat impetus, I'm not sold on their benefit to melee warriors. From what I've seen they are more a benefit to magic users, somewhat beneficial to ranged users, but not so much for warriors. I'm not sure who in the scrum speaks for melee fighters or puts their cause forward.

11. Borg

Borg Avatar

Sincerely I'm confused with this change, card combat mixed with real time combat, for me free mode is just like any other spell you have casting time but with this one you have to be in range and facing the right direction. So as if latency problems were not already enough with auto attack. I think people using mouse to combine glyphs will be quite pissed off, or?
    And about Locked Deck free mode is more an annoyance than an advantage. Let us link free mode swing to a hotkey pls.
    And I hope Locked Deck users have a chance to get access to wider Deck and combos.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    niteowl57 likes this.
  12. Archaon [OWL]

Archaon [OWL] Avatar

Really excited about the direction of combat, I think this will introduce another much desired level of complexity.

Lord Lonn and ThurisazSheol like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's a good point I forgot to mention it.. One of the reasons I felt less effective is that it doesn't act like it's replacing auto-attack. It acts like a manually controlled skill in terms of attack speed. So your actually attacking less than you would with auto-attack on. That said, I never really noticed auto-attack in the first place but that subtle difference felt awkward. As does having to hold down the right mouse button in order to aim your attacks.

14. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I agree with these thoughts.

TheMadHermit and ThurisazSheol like this.
  15. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Mmm. Auto-attack never interrupted skill use before, it doesn't really make sense that it does now. I can understand not being able to activate skills while charging a melee attack, but after that you're just waiting for the animation. Animation for auto-attack never interrupts skills with autoattack on.

Miracle Dragon and ThurisazSheol like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What I had noticed.. as I was trying to use both free attack and glyphs.. was that when I used a skill I had to wait for the cool down before I could charge an attack.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I love the idea of free flow combat - but for me, the hold and release to swing has a strange, unnatural feel to it. Maybe the right mouse button could be used to charge up the swing.. and as soon as you click the left mouse button, you would swing your weapon. That may have a more direct, natural feel to it.

Someone mentioned free blow blocking which is a great idea and hope that can be implemented. Blocking could use focus and possibly reduce the damage of your weapon if you're blocking with your shield or an off-hand weapon.

18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

No worries man, we'll make it better or we'll leave both systems in.

As for it blocking other spells, I think that might have only been broken in the past 24 hours with a fix to something else. Not intended behavior.

tekkamansoul and Duke Raas like this.
  19. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

The positive thing about this Free Form Attack I can say is, that it works basically...

But combat is so extremely distracting with your changing Action bar (I don't use looked skills, since random skills are much more efficient; locking them in one place made it a bit better, but still distracting), all those Combos and Stacking work you have to do (I really wish for an auto-stack/combo skill in the Focus tree), enemy buffs and debuffs you have to look for and your own Health and Focus.

And in addition to that you have to swing your sword by powering it up (while you can't use other skills at the same time) and have to pay attention, that your enemy stands right in front of you? Nope, that's just too much for me... I'm quite good at multi tasking and am a very efficient RPG tactician, but that are too many distractions...

Edit says: And if we get the opportunity to power up our standard attack, I'd like to power up my other melee skills, too (+ I want to attack with my off hand).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I am also very puzzled... when we gave ideas like that we were ridiculed and told there would be way too much lag and that it would add unnecessary server load ?

Now you guys are implementing MORE than what we were asking for ? Are you really this desperate to create something "hip" and commercial ? I'm really pissed cause almost all my feeback has been rebuked on that account, anyways who cares right...

I pledged for a ultima style RPG, not some Diablo/WoW crossover...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.