Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Free mode attacking

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by orcscout, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

I hope they refine the free mode attacking because it obviously needs a ton of tweaking. The moment I heard the idea it immediately brought me back to the Darkfall 1.0 glory days 2009-2010 ... by far the most epic PvP experience of my MMO career and of course, Darkfall 1.0 used a 100% fully aimed skill and spell system. I don't imagine SOTA will do this, but some elements would make combat much more engaging.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If you watch the hangout they talk some more about combat, auto attack etc and also Chris' interview with NNBC. Lots of changes int R20 and R21 and R22. I think there are a lot of unknown factors since a lot is being developed on the fly as feedback is provided on the scrums and here. :)

3. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

That's simply not good enough. This is a major issue yet as of yet no feedback or even a hint of the direction yet we can buy frigging trees.

It's the one thing players agree on is the combat system either sucks or needs work.

At the very least post the ideas on the direction or technical possibilities of combat.

Could we go with a system like The Secret World?

Could we keep the cards for magic and add a free mode like chivalry or conan for melee

How do we cater for people who don't want twitch

Can wilds tar mechanics work

Something! Anything! It warrants a frigging post. Don't get me started how flaw the combat scrum is. You have so many backers who have thrown money at you. Include more or at least explain the vision. Or is there none and everything is reactive

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There is plenty of hints and outright official statements that combat is the current focus.
    Which is why it is getting an overhaul and being focussed on.
    The direction is a use based hybrid system.
    No.
    Yes, if you log in you will already see the start of that.
    With a hybrid system.
    Don't know what that is.
    How exactly is it flawed? it has been going very well so far. More have been included, but people that don't actually test anything and prefer the forum are not of much use since the purpose of it is to log in and test combat and provide feedback and bug reports on the changes. The scrum has nothing to do with pledge level at all, it is a collection of people that spend their time actually testing (allot of time) and includes people from $45 pledges all the way up to the top tier pledges. It has pve'ers, pvp'ers and pk'ers and people that like/dislike a variety of playstyles. The feedback and reports from each session see immediate adjustments and fixes that pretty much anybody who pays attention to their combat chat tab would have noticed. You can't buy into that group, you have to earn it.

KuBaTRiZeS and Miracle Dragon like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know no more than most. I listen for hints and then we speculate on those hints. That's kickstarting for you. It's definitely a roller coaster. Truthfully I'm not excited about trees myself but many are so I'm happy for them . It is always a waiting game. I have no answers for you atm**cheers**

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Link discussion please.

Earn not buy? Wow. Do you ever descend from your ivory palace to mix with us low life commoners?

So you can't defend the whale comments so now you imply people's efforts are on a sliding scale. Wow just wow

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You mean like when i found you in Soltown and made gear for you? If you honestly think that somebody who doesn't know what weapon is associated with what skill tree can contribute to a combat focus group on the same level as somebody who is doing in depth testing on every single glyph and piece of gear repeatedly on a daily basis (an example of a sliding scale, not referring to you directly) then i am not sure why you are surprised that you can't get taken seriously outside of the troll forum.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

You sound exactly what I sound like when I am on my ivory tower trying to knock others down to lift myself up, we are only worth our weight in humility. Peace

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Um? Chris said that for the first combat scrum he simply looked at the metrics, the players with most hours in game, plus a wide variety of skills/glyphs used (ie testing the different systems) got asked. (I'd guess that he also looked for people who'd posted lots of feedback or bug reports, but he didn't mention that).

Seems very reasonable to me.
    If you want people testing your systems then you'd want people who would be willing to spend lots of hours in the game and who enjoy testing several different things.

Getting someone who only plays a mage, or only plays melee, or only plays with the same glyphs in release after release. Or getting someone who doesn't log as many hours in the game.
    ...well, it just isn't as effective.

So yes, people's ability to test systems are definately on a sliding scale.

10. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I like that! in my opinion, to make this free attack work the flow of combat needs to be changed... making auto attack the main damage source and tweaking skills into utility (and adapting random system from that point of view) is a good way of achieving it.

Though i like the random deck system, i don't feel comfortable with how spammable skills are currently.

EMPstrike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.