1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Free Trial Test #3 Live Now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are excited to announce a test of our Free Trial system starting today, May 10th, and running through the Summer Telethon on May 31. If you know anyone who would like to try the game for free, please send them to the Trial Download page.

Free Trial access allows you to play the entire game in any of the Online modes with a few key differences in game play listed below:
    • The term (Visitor) is appended to your Character Name
    • Cannot give items to other players via Trade
    • Cannot purchase nor sell items via Player Vendors nor Public Vendors
    • No ownership of property nor use of lot signs
    • Cannot interact with public chests
    • Cannot move/interact with items on a plot even if they are given permissions
    • Cannot flag as Open PVP
    • Cannot gain nor do they create any ransom items when they kill or are killed in PVP (in Open PVP zones)
    • Character data may be deleted after Free Trial period is over if character is not upgraded to a paid account
    • Items purchased in the Add On Store cannot be accessed after the Free Trial Period is over unless you purchase Game Access
    • Cannot play in Offline Mode
    • Can only start on the Path of Love
    Free Trial players can still explore hundreds of scenes, talk with thousands of players, adventure through the opening quests, and gain experience and skills as they get used to the world of New Britannia. If they wish to continue playing after the free trial concludes, they can obtain an Early Access account here.

[​IMG]

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

We should probably set up shifts of Hospitalers standing next to the trainer in the outskirts pointing out that the new players need to open their utility bar.

Berek and Time Lord like this.
  3. Berek

Great idea! Any way the community can help greet these new players, it would be appreciated.

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I think there is a bigger issue, I started a new account two days ago. I had a terrible time getting the utility bar and auto/free attack to work and still have not been able to set up the random deck thing.

Most new players may not even realize these are options. Im not a fan of how we on board new players.

This is sotas first touch and it screams run away.

I like what hospitalers bring to sota what I dont like is when it becomes an excuse for bad design.

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

They'll get this one fixed, but in the meantime we need to cover their butts! I'll do it some IF I have a computer that runs it while I'm away (1 month.) If you see me there, then I'm lucky.

Same with QA time, I might not be putting in any this month.

Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Im not disagreeing with ur suggestion, just wondering why do a trial with this as its implimented. And another gripe I have with load times this bad, why subject anyone esp new players to random encounters. All this does is drive the point on how bad load times are and increases the feeling of overly instanced game. Yesterday I zoned outta a instance took forever into a random encounter ran threw that one only to have another respawn on me, I swear my hard drive was smoking .

Imop disable random encounters till june 1st.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

how to connect the account to steam for d'load with steam?
    any suggestions?

Time Lord and Berek like this.
  8. Berek

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

thanks very much, i invitet 2 people who want to try ;)

edit: unfortunately no key for steam until buy a copy - maybe make free trials available to steam, because d'load is way faster for new users!!!

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

You need to increase your download speeds, can you host the torrent on your server side, or are you already maybe? It would be good to be able to link the trial to Steam, at least then ppl can take advantage of the much faster download speeds, speeds you cannot apparently give us.

For reference, here are some users with this exact problem. If you care.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/unbelievably-slow-download-speed.89309/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-are-download-speeds-so-slow.89316/

And we lost one of them already.....

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Berek, What kind of leveling xp do the trial accounts get? 1x, 2x? Maybe if you guys push the switch to 4x for only the new accounts it will entice the new players to invest as they will be able to get to do more and see more in the trial period. Just an observation from the pirate. R/Boris/El Pirata

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

We've had a couple guild members who wanted to check out the free trial and they're also having issues with the terribly slow download speeds. I suggested they use Steam but it doesn't appear to be supported for the free trial, although the free trial is advertised on SotA's steam page which is confusing. :(

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This is something that I've been having to compensate for within some plans I have to invite friends here. Not exactly accommodating to the invitation :(... but I'm dealing with it through a compensating plan through the internet café I'm dealing with.
    It's a continuing issue that either can or can't be avoided.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~o_O

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.