Friends of Convenience

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Cobra101, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

As a new player I seem to get a lot of friend requests.

Initially I accepted them as they were mostly from people I spoke to in the starter area.
    More recently I just seem to get them from random people who have never spoken to me.

I'm guessing that this is the fault of the Teleport scroll where every person on your fiends list is another possible destination when you need to travel a long way.

I may be old-fashioned but I tend to decline interactions where the person hasn't at least spoken to me first, be it trades, invites or friend requests.

I suppose I may be defeating a valid game mechanic but tbh I'm not that keen on large numbers of random people knowing when I log on or off. I suppose I am just strange.

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah, It's an unfortunate mechanic of the game. I also get friend invites from those who don't talk to me. I just accept them. I have been wondering how this works with regards to PvP. Could I teleport to a person on my list who is also a PvP player and use this as a way to hunt them down. It would be nice if there was another way to teleport to locations across the lands. For instance, you couldn't teleport to a town/location till you visit it at least once. Certain areas could be excluded from being able to teleport to them. Having to add friends who you never talk to just to get around doesn't really work for me and it clutters up my friends list.

3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Welcome @Cobra101! You bring up a good point about random people trying to friend you.

I don't think it's weird to have had at least one positive interaction with someone before friending them. :)

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Friends are good to have, even if they aren't your best friends. As the population grows, your friends list and block list will help to shape who you will see in an instance. Nothing wrong with pruning your friends list from time to time.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yep, i think rather negatively of people who throw out random friend requests. ...and that's not the worst of it, people have been known to throw random guild requests, too. limiting yourself to people you've actually talked to will still eventually build you a decent teleport list.

edit: it's also worth keeping track of the lunar rifts. they're not always conveniently timed, but when they are you can get across the continent in a hurry.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I think that's fair enough, while I like having a large set of teleport targets I don't get offended if people decline my friend requests.

If it makes you feel any better about any future friend request I send, I turned those messages off on my main chat tab ;)

I used to get that too, actually joining a guild put a stop to it :)

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i just made my own.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I for the first time thought the same, i really have a lot of people on my FL, but i allways talked, dealed or grouped with them, although of some i rather cant remember :p
    One or two totally unknown people send me a request and i accepted anyway.
    Then one day i decide to be fulltime RP, well lets say 97.897 % :rolleyes:
    Because i accept to talk to people who just cannot or will not RP and i dont judge them, a lot of people of my old guild dont RP and are really nice people.
    One is a P&Per player who just neglect to RP in Games. I understand that very well, because you have to do compromises anyway. For some people those compromises arent acceptable, they are more serios about RP.
    I then want to kick everybody who i dont know well and just keep the contacts i know they are allways ready to RP with me.
    I thought over it a couple of days and asked me if it's not too rejecting and if it isnt very practical to be able to teleport to as many places as possible. We have enough loading Screens and o just moved out of the Drachvald Region because of this. To pass Vauban with 2 Screens to end up in another loading screen annoyed me as hell.
    So Minimum 3 loading Screens to Beginn playing. No!
    And then i found an *evil* Statement to accept this.
    I magically mark people to save them as "bindpsots" :eek::cool: and abuse them to travel around the world.
    So everybody on my FL who dont like this, better unfriend me :D
    BUT...
    if and when i will Start PvPing i maybe need to think over this again, really, i dont want my Nemesis to be able to instant teleport to me.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  9. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Dont feel slighted my friends just use me too, nothing more than "stone ruined "

10. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I really don't mind, even it it is for fast travel. You can never have too many friends. Until things are completed , I don't see it as a problem.

Of course I enjoy the chatter over the void.:p

11. Lained

Lained Avatar

Maybe teleport magic should have a social aspect that requires that you have communicated recently. Add some lore like strengthening the binds between the two parties, the longer individual communication sessions last the longer the bind takes to decay.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh really we are a rather small community and some of us have been here since 2013. I can see how it would look overwhelming to new people to hear from a ton of players.

For me I like a large friends list. It does not mean I talk to everyone every day. It just means I can. I will look at my friends list for a variety of reasons, who is where for one, and who might want to join our dragon killing group or go to a difficult dungeon.

We don't yet have a 'find group' feature in the game so our friends list is it atm. I heard they are planning that in the future which will make the friends list not so crazy.

And yes I have been in games where I just don't want to be bothered and to do my own thing. Hopefully this game will improve on this.

Please just to let you know most of us know some really cool things you might miss and we just want to share. Plus we have a share emotes and share recipes in this game that can save you gold and time getting them. ;)

So yes we get excited to share, but we do hear the comments you make about that it could be overwhelming and the learning curve on this game has been really, really strong and impeded from lack of help systems, but that is starting to slowly improve. Thanks for that feedback. ;)

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I've asked for a short text field to be added to Friend Requests so the person could explain why they made it. At one point @DarkStarr took it under consideration.

14. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

This plz.

15. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is indeed in a Jira issue tracked for this system.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

I would actually find it more interesting if you had to meet up with someone in game and interact with their avatar in order to friend them. But I guess there are some instancing issues, too, that friendslists help solve.

Vox Aquila, 4EverLost, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

+1 for removing the teleport scroll.
    -1 for removing my friends.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No no no Tahru. *slaps hand*. ;) This is for groups to get together like to do a dungeon, or kill a boss. Everyone is in a hurry to get the group together. Imagine if everyone had to walk the whole map to get to the group yikes, we might get our group together tomorrow or the next day. It is already a bit of a hassle with everyone grabbing their supplies and some forgetting their supplies. We do a lot of 'toe tapping' or (wait emote) well some do, mostly in fun but some have a limited time to do the group with us with timezone differences sometimes too not helping. I don't just teleport to teleport but to save time. It is not such a big deal and important for the group events to happen in a timely manner, well imo.

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That is what summoning stones are for. :). Specifically it should be on parties, not friends.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes but we don't have them ;) and that is a really great idea, but we use what we have right now :) @The devs

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.