full game experience with plate

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Pong3d, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pong3d

Pong3d Avatar

I'm a casual player who spent the first few hours playing saving up enough for a set of plate. But with my limited time Im not sure if wearing plate is the best way to experience the game because of the high fizzle chance when casting spells. Im not looking to have the best build, at least not yet. At this point I would just like to be able to experience the many facets SotA has to offer. Before I start exploring the heavy armor skill tree hould I downgrade the plate?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If you enjoy melee, toe-to-toe fighting, keep going with plate. There will soon be a bandage alternative to healing, and some trees like Earth magic are plate friendly.

If you want to use magic, then you might need to change things up. However, it's not truly necessary unless you prefer that playstyle or want to PvP.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you are not tied to a full set of one or the other. you can use the heavy tree as long as your chestpiece is heavy. try switching some parts of the suit out for chain, or even for light armor (gloves in particular have a strong effect on fizzle for their size) and find the balance betwen protection and fizzle that works best for you.

4. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I was plate user for first 2 years I played... with all the recent changes to DR, plate is not longer worth wearing unless you want "the look". Switch to chainmail, differences are minimal but fizzle is A LOT lower.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Also be sure to train and level the Follow Through skill in the Focus tree.

6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Thereis no point in learning light armor tree right now. Heavy is completely overpowered

7. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

These are all good points: I would add that cloth armor helps with spell casting a lot at the beginning of the game, whereas when you level up you can start to dabble around more with different types of armor to find what is right for your playstyle. Some schools, like Earth, Water, Life, and Sun, are more friendly to heavy armor (have lower chances to fizzle), while the others make casting harder. As dorky as it may be, a shield can be helpful regardless of your level to protect from those pesky archers and if you're attacked by multiple melee people. If you do go light armor, I definitely recommend using the Defensive Stance skill in Tactics, which improves your armor effectiveness and improves other defensive abilities in the light armor tree: Dodge and Evasion are both very helpful on their own or in combination with Defensive Stance.

8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Okay as someone who plays 3 melees and a caster with three of them in light, I REALLY need to hear the argument for this one! :D

9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

10 skills in heavy (3 inmates) -how many in light? (6- 2 innates)
    Avoidance numbers on heavy (base armor pieces put you at 12+ with no enhancements.
    Avoidance compared to dodge- avoidance works (leather with 100 dodge my dodge is roughly 3.2 percent, or nearly worthless)
    The speed nerf while weopon took a little away from Light also.

Now I still have a character 100 in all light armor skills and I am really hoping they finish the skill tree for light armor to make it more comparable to a chain chest piece hybrid suite that can caste just as well.

For example;
    My two characters
    Heavy armor - new char low level but can tank and beat PVE content that is orange(1v1) and multiple yellow targets in a newbie suite not enchant/masterwork.

My 100+adv light armor character can get destroyed by one yellow level character because I get hit almost every swing.

Now this is not an apples to apples comparrison, but if you try it yourself you’ll quickly see that heavy armor is OP compared to light. I think heavy is where is needs to be but light armor needs to be brought up to speed.

10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Eh playstyles man... I have no issues in light armor with same mobs, but I play one style as twitch and the other as tank.

If I use Dodge and Evasion together on Blade Savage, I 'm pretty much unhittable. With those boost on my armor, I take less damage than my tank does. Gotta play them differently. Speed and movement versus brute force.

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Reduce the combat speed nerf a little for every piece of light armor worn.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Also, what specific spells are you having an issue with?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Light armor isn't that much worse defensively since Dodge is actually pretty great. But it really adds nothing for offense except attack speed, and attack speed isn't that useful unless you are charging your auto attacks. It needs a passive that adds dex and then dex needs to not suck.

The movespeed nerf really killed it for me though. Without the movespeed there just isn't much left to the light armor tree.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

You're going to suck forever until you get some GMs and level to about 80 so you just need to suck it up and get to grinding my man !

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Or, to clarify a bit, I'd tie the movement speed nerf (if it has to exist) to armor. 10% per piece for plate (so, in all heavy armor, the same as it is currently), maybe. 7.5% per piece for chain, 5% per for leather, 2.5% for cloth.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Barugon like this.
  16. Nog

Nog Avatar

Yeah, as someone who gravitates toward light armor melees, the fact the light armor tree's viability is so pathetically anemic in comparison to heavy armor is one of the things diminishing my will to prioritize getting into game. Which is to say the niche I like doesn't seem competitive. (Also that I find the deck system's attention diversion from the action problematic, and my Alienware can't even handle party play well without massive lagginess/bad framerate...but that's another issue).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

You can use plate if you want. Your main damage dealer will be a melee weapon, but you can mix in some healing and earth magic which has low enough fizzle to use with plate. This is a perfectly viable play style.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Pong3d I use light armor melee and the speed and increased DPS is worth. You attack faster with no drawsbacks (swing/charge faster, use glyphs faster), and Dodge is not as good as avoidance, but does protect you quite a bit with high dex. It's very very suited to 1 handed blades and bows.

Polearms and ESPECIALLY bludgeon actually do better with heavy armor, due to thier benefiting alot from high strength. Heavy armor has 2 skills the substantially increase your strength, and blundgeon also has a passive that does the same, and has a very high damage bonus from high strength. 2 handed blades benifit as well but not nearly as much ad polearms and bludgeon do. Bludgeon + heavy armor is gonna give u a good melee experience for platemail.

Just think Light = quicker, faster, less fizzle (and the onyl armor that gives crit dmg bonus to magic), need to choose between int and dex dependign if ur magic focused or weapon focused. (you can raise both but its way easier and wildly cheaper to aimf or 1 with gear)

Heavy = high defense, strength is KING (and health!), Harder hitting bludgeons and halberds

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  19. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Assuming you are not using a two handed weapon you can also shove a wand in your off hand to reduce fizzle if that is becoming an issue.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not true. Dodge is actually better than avoidance. The calculation is the same for both, so if you have say 20 dodge and 20 avoidance then you have the same chance to dodge as you do to avoid. When you dodge a hit, you take zero damage. When you avoid a hit, you take partial damage. Dodge works on most targeted magic. Avoidance has no effect on magic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.