full game experience with plate

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Pong3d, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pong3d

Pong3d Avatar

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I normally get an email after the first response but didnt this time. I just figured it wasnt a topic people were interested in. To my surprise when I checked back there were 19 replies. Im pleased to see the diverse responses.

2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Pong3d like this.
  3. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Heavy armor is the best for melee because it has the single best melee skill in the game, Body slam.

4. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Go for Heavy Armor, Light armor just got a huge nerf recently and is no longer what it used to be.
    In fact they destroyed the light armor skill.

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i have characters with all types of armor from cloth to plate. Here's my take, Plate/chain at first after you get around level 40 lock those and work in light armor leather, get used to it then try cloth .
    personally for me my favorite character is hvy armor chest light armor everything else, once you get up there the 10% defense you get from wearing all same type armor is irrelevant based on the armor you can get with stats. So in the long run i like the mixed armor (chest as heavy) leather or cloth everything else. I do have a character that is all cloth, but when i started him i started in chain until i got to a certain level then switched to cloth and worked on mastering spell casting. (this character is not pure mage but blades and magery)

so that's my take they all have their benefits and hindrances and it boils down to what you like. remember all armor can be enchanted to make up the hindrances. How good your character becomes is not based on the armor, only on skill and enchants for the armor he/she is wearing.

So to sum it up start with hvy type metal for survivability until you get better. then try other things.

Pong3d likes this.
  6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Don’t have much too add, just wanted to say great discussion guys! It’s been interesting to read everyone’s opinions on armor types and given me quite a lot to consider and try out with my own avatar :) - great reading!

Jaesun and Pong3d like this.
  7. Nog

Nog Avatar

My mileage is fairly different with light armor, and my observation is I get savaged compared to guild mates in heavy armor who are significantly lower level than I am. Are you keeping up Dodge every few seconds for the glyph's bonus that is much stronger in the first 2 seconds?

Dodge (combined with Evasion) seems powerful to me in that 2 second duration but drastically diminishes in effectiveness after that. I don't want to say that Dodge + Evasion is bad. Nor would I say light should be as strong as heavy, but maintaining Dodge by constant glyph clicking for its stronger 2-second effect feels too diverting to me. As such I'm really struggling to experience Dodge+Evasion being as formidable as you're indicating seeing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Pong3d likes this.
  8. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Put up some more information about your build, Light Armor Skill Tree and what bonuses you have on your armor. I pushed most of my crafted light leather armor towards defensive modifiers and while I'm not a terrifying BAMF who cannot be struck... I play my avatar a bit more like a Glass Cannon, but still have no problem facing down upwards of four Hardened Elven Swordsman, and a pair of more of Hardened Elven Mages. I only have issues if there are a few of those Hardened Archers... I hate those MOBs.

Nog and Pong3d like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I would agree, but the way they work currently, heavy is the better option. I'd love to see an innate that adds DA and DR if you're moving. It seems to me that it might make the two comparable, but still give them different mechanics.

Nog and Pong3d like this.
  10. Nog

Nog Avatar

Toon level 85-86. I have almost everything in the light armor tree at about 90-95 skill level. Dual wielding defense at 90. I have 2-3 masterwork properties and 2-3 alchemy properties on each gear piece. These include the expert masterwork properties (though I don't have them in front of me to name).

Unfortunately I set most armor pieces to include Damage Resistance instead of Damage Avoidance since it was unclear which one was the superior stat. My self-healing life abilities are at 80-85. The big spiders in Deep Ravenwood are a tough melee fight; I don't die but my health is always very low at the end. x2 orange Elven Swordsmen/Archers/Mages absolutely chew me up (without going nuts on healing pots), let alone when they attack in larger packs.

I'm not sure if the discrepancy is that others have toons well above level 85... Though I felt my damage mitigation has been weak all through the leveling process vs. appropriately scaled enemies - hence my surprise that anyone considered light armor / Dodge-Evasion to be good protection, at least for meleeing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Pong3d likes this.
  11. Nog

Nog Avatar

Brilliant suggestion as dancing around enemies in PVE is sort of a moot point since the AI isn't fooled by the speedy misdirection moves - making the agile movement advantage not effective to the light melee type build.

Pong3d likes this.
  12. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

My AL isn't in the 80's yet. I'm mostly dealing with waves of mobs in the Crag Foothills. I want to say that I put most things into Evasion/Avoidance on my armor and I try to take advantage of terrain height and facing my foes, which is supposed to help some...

You might need to switch up your armor, boost your Light Armor Passives and bump up your Dex some. I know that when I take on that +5 Dodge Bonus shrine, I seem to keep my health up much better than usual too.

I dual wield Short Sword and Dagger, both for the parry AND the Poison bonus, as there's nothing more fun than slicing through four to eight Hardened Elves in less than 30 seconds!

Pong3d likes this.
  13. Nog

Nog Avatar

My Dex is 75. I dual wield shortsword and dagger also for parry. But I was talking about the elite Fall elves being too tough to deal with in greater numbers than 1 (my confusion). The crag foothill ones are readily handleable in small groups by my toon.

Though I still find my damage mitigation to be noticeably inferior to heavy armor toons I've grouped with 15 or more levels lower than me. Dodge-Evasion doesn't seem to be bridging that gap.

I didn't delve into poison because I didn't like the constant maintenance of it...but that probably would go a long way in dropping poisonable enemies (good defense = good offense).

Pong3d and Nelzie like this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It is a little weird, though, how it feels like every increase does so little to help... until suddenly it does. I did okay in Crag Foothills in the AL80's, but I had to be careful. I'd keep leveling, putting more XP into skills, but it never seemed to get easier. Undead Alley was really rough, but I could do it if I pulled the mobs in small enough groups. In the 90's, though, I can pretty much run around like it's a tier 3 scene.

Pong3d, Jaesun and Nog like this.
  15. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Sota is still a dps game - no amount of skill tweak/armour tweak will change what is hard coded. Stick with chain or leather, tho sometimes u can reduce fizzle by mixing in chain with plate - but it still isn't worth it in the long run : sota means get leather + increase all dps skills = winning

THE HENDOMAN

Pong3d likes this.
  16. Nog

Nog Avatar

Unfortunately, the heavy armor melee build has very little appeal both stylistically, rp-wise and play-wise. This is why I'd kept trying to make light armor work. But the light tree, for everything I observe, is hard to make awesome for melees because it's such an underdeveloped tree. Most glaringly, it has too few abilities compared to all the other trees.

Pong3d likes this.
  17. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

I disagree... I've got this thing about half elf plate wearers.... or some such.2

Pong3d likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.