Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Full plate armor for town guards?

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by docdoom77, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Is it an intentional design decision for all the town guards to be wearing full plate armor, because it really pushes my suspension of disbelief. Besides the astronomic cost of full plate armor, it is just silly for guys who mostly stand around all day in the hot sun to be wearing full plate armor.

I loved the look of the armor in the Ultima games, when most town guards had light chain and tabards (leather would be even better). I know it's not the most important thing, but I think it should definitely be considered.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not just full plate, Epic Plate.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It somewhat makes sense for the guys standing at the gate, ready to take a cavalry charge head on...but I agree for the guys just walking around town.

Skalex and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  4. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Again i may be wrong.
    Wasn't it said you may not be able to get to your home , because the town was under siege ? I'm not privy to what the developers have in mind as a story line ,or if it will just be attacks by rogue guilds.
    With Richard G. and what i remember of old days in UO, i'm hoping for some of the same unknown exciting times.
    I would hate to think i could have gotten home hrs. ago, if the guards had not taken off there plate armor because it was to hot.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

My point is, that the guards shouldn't have plate armor at all. It's silly. The most expensive, difficult to make, hard to become proficient in armor is the standard? I just don't buy it. Also, I don't like the look. It makes the world look more 'gamey' for lack of a better word. Less verisimilitude. I can see light chain for well equipped guards, but plate? What are these guys drowning in money?

Valice_Belgraham likes this.
  6. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I would have to agree with this, in UO guards all wore different armor types but they all carried Halberd's so you knew that was a guard. But i do think in Owls head, SotA's largest city, should have decked out guards. We only want the best guards defending our cities. Now i would expect to see rock throwing, pitchfork totting, peasants looking guards defending villages. ;)

7. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I wonder if they will be instant kill guards like old UO. That was pretty amusing and fun.

8. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

docdoom77 said:
    "I really loved Kingsport. I enjoyed it a great deal more than owl's head. Better NPCs. The mage creeping around the moon rift, the smugglers (especially Lauren and her stuff about the prophecy). I like the look and layout of Kingsport and I really liked "Guard-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game" and his firm denials that a large building was behind him. :)

I enjoyed crafting more than I thought I would (not being a fan of crafting in general). I made my own spear with only a little help from the internet. It is a little too tedious at the moment, but I'm sure they'll fix it up by release.​

I LOVED the jumping. It really made things feel so much more natural.​

The movement was much improved (though I would still prefer a camera control that doesn't require me to hold a button, it hurts my wrist).​

I HATE that all the guards are decked out in full plate armor. That is plain silly, makes the world look gamey and seriously hinders my suspension of disbelief. I really hope they downgrade the guards to wear light chain or leather and leave Plate to lords, knights, and high level retainers.

Overall, it was a great experience and I'm really glad I got to be a part of it!"​

Agreed! And no capes on guards. I sort of feel as though capes should be something you have to earn a certain level of standing/renown to wear, or else no one will take you seriously. Robes/cloaks are fine, as they serve a specific purpose/function outside of being a notable person.

I'm surprised gorgets weren't added in yet. Having opened necks on fully armored people looks and feels silly.

Overall, the staff is doing a fantastic job.

Morkul and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Squire

Squire Avatar

Agreed. I actually mentioned in another thread that the rank-and-file militia shouldn't have plate armour, but should have padded or leather armour, or mail at the most (can we call it either "mail" or "chainmail", but not "chain armour"? ;) ), with a livery tabard.

This is because, back in the day, people had to provide their own armour, and didn't get a harness given to them by the garrison. :D I know it's fantasy, but some believability has to be maintained.

I actually hope plate armour is really expensive, and really hard to make (hence very difficult to come by), so that only players who have been playing for a very long time, and massed a large quantity of gold and a huge reputation, can afford plate armour. If new characters can afford a full harness within about a month of playing, then there's nothing to aspire to. Plate armour should be something you work towards over a period of many months - even years. It shouldn't be rushed. When you see someone in a harness, your first thought should be "that guy must be rich!", because you know that he's earned the right to own a harness.

Helmets are different - they're fairly common, and among the first things that soldiers would buy, so there should be cheap helmets that you can get, not just mail coifs.

Yep. I mentioned the lack of a gorget/bevoir in my post too. :) Apparently these will be added as a neck slot item.

Valice_Belgraham and docdoom77 like this.
  10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I tried to get an answer to this with the weekly dev questions, but I came up quite short on likes. :p I suppose we could try again next week.

It seems little and silly, but for me it's a big deal. It really affects my suspension of disbelief. The guards in the ultima games had chain mail with tabards. Let's get back to that!

Speaking of tabards, I hope you can craft/purchase them; I love that look!

11. monxter

monxter Avatar

I'm hoping to see different kinds of guards, higher ranking commanding officers, non-commanding officers and plain guards/soldiers, all with different outfits depending on their position. Some variety would be nice.
    I think their weapons should be considered, what gear will those guards at the gates use - polearms perhaps? How about some crossbows on town / city walls etc.

12. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Agreed. Definitely spears or polearms for gate guards. Truncheons and/or short swords for town patrols. Crossbows or bows on the walls.

Hazard and monxter like this.
  13. Venge

Venge Avatar

Oohh. I love if the guards could swipe back their halberd while they case you in a proned attack position and then you die while they are still 40 feet away like in UO =P You think you got away on that ostrich but nope.....they got ya!

14. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I always thought it was a nice touch in UO all guards wore full *plain* platemail and had halberds. Reminded me of Monitor in Serpent Isle.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.