Full Release 1 25k+ backers December 12? Problem?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maximus, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

I am kind of confused here because I am waiting to see if I want to donate the big bucks for this game based off of what I experience in beta. That is why I paid just enough to get into beta. I assume that is what some others are doing. I cannot be the only one? Would it not be better to let us try before we buy? We are not talking a few dollars here it could be hundreds or thousands per person. Some people just cannot spend that money without trying some part of the game to see whether they like where it is going. We all realize it is alpha or beta and it won't be pretty but we can get a good idea if we want in or not. Should not we be helping people on the fence like me decide sooner rather than later so you can use the money for development?

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

They can only release what they have ready.

rild and Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  3. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

A lot of people, myself included provided funding for this game before it was even a successful project on Kickstarter. We will not be testing the game before they actually have something to show off and can receive feedback on things they don't already know is broken, which now is on the 12th of December. The actual game is not releasing until the end of 2014, and with that I am not sure what exactly you are asking for? A free demo? While a free demo could help people understand the game and get a feel for it, I think it is too early at this stage.

rild and Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I doubt an alpha or beta would be a good representation of a product and whether you should buy it. This is a very exclusive reward to help fund the game and normally early alpha's and beta are not just given out into the wild. There might be an open beta closer to launch, which is traditional for a lot of games. However, this is an alpha and what you can do will be it very limited and not represent the game. You might understand that but many wouldn't. Besides you could always pledge at a lower level to get the alpha/beta access and increase the amount if you like it.

When the game launches they have stated you will be able to try the game without paying, so this shouldn't an issue with the full release. However, crowdfunding is about supporting an idea or a concept and not selling a product, so if you are on the fence about being an early backer by the information that is already available then it is probably wisest to hold back until you see something that pushes you over the edge. I don't think playing an unfinished, raw version of the game would be the tipping point: most likely an announced feature or gameplay clarification.

BillRoy likes this.
  5. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Trust me. For the first few tests, users will be seeing such a limited slice of the game, I would care to bet that it would not be the deciding factor for anyone. Quite the opposite actually, since most gamers are so used to seeing a game once it has already been polished much more than it ever is during a true alpha/beta. What MOST studios release as "Beta" is more like a soft launch to be honest.

By-Tor, Koldar, Dargalin and 11 others like this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Id wait until you try the full overland map in march 2014 Beta test you will have a better idea then if you think the games for you. It may not be running perfect then but you will have tried out most aspects of the game

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

This much is obvious but should not they let everyone try what they do have and not just the huge backers? The point is to get more large backers and test for bugs? right?

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I have been in a lot of betas and this is very true. Open Beta normally just means the last system stress test and your worst problem is logging in and fighting lag. :)

9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Can someone sign up on the 12th and get into beta that day?

10. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I don't think so (if you mean people who has not yet pledged at all), because when you release something out into the wild, people today will expect something functional as an early representation of the actual game. An alpha/beta is not that, at least not in their true sense.

Besides that, you are aware that pledging $45 gives you alpha/beta access as well as the first episode of the game?

Miracle Dragon and Fireangel like this.
  11. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

What gave you the impression that it was just the "huge backers"? The Dev+ group has access to it before the 12th as an initial sanity check on the patcher, that's all. All other backers (including the lower level pledge that gets you access, $45 I think) get access on the 12th. Or am I not understanding what you're saying?

Miracle Dragon and Fireangel like this.
  12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Then it's best you understand the expectations of this PRE ALPHA release... it doesn't even have most of the game incorporated yet... I'd say R3=Alpha, R4=Beta and R1/R2 are just "teasers" to keep us in the loop so we can give feedback and help :)

Here's the list as we know it... I'll update it as they give us more information:
    http://sotawiki.net/index.php?title=Release_Dates

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

The testing is for the benefit of the developers, not for our benefit. They have testing goals they want to accomplish, to wring out particular items in isolation, so it is not a good idea to just throw everything out there, but rather, they should concentrate on small portions at a time.

14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Alpha/Beta access starts at the $45 dollar level. I am guessing if you pledge within enough time to get processed you would be ready for the 12th run. However, its only a few days of testing (at least for now) so you would want to give is a few days at least.

Fireangel and Maximus like this.
  15. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

A beta test is not a trial run for players to figure out if they like the game or not, dude.

16. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

So this is pre-alpha? I was under the impression that we got to test something in December.

17. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Dev+ ($450+) got access to the installer/launcher prior to the alpha on Dec 12th, so this is pre-alpha. We cannot play the game, and are just helping the devs prepare for the Release 1 alpha launch on the 12th for the rest of the backers.

18. smack

smack Avatar

Not sure what the problem is. If you're an Adventurer level or higher (First/Second Responders during the KS campaign or higher), you have access to the Early Releases. And they are on target to deliver us something to test in December as promised.

Plus, as FireLotus said, these Early Releases are simply slices of the game. If you want a more complete experience with OPO and combat and whatnot, come back in March. In case you forgot, here's the entire Early Release schedule post and what each Release contains.

19. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

I don't have any issues now. I understand. It is all good.

20. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

It was never a question of jumping ship. Rather a question of how much to invest as I am already invested. My guess is that I will invest more a lot more but I cannot do that until I see more. I am sure there are others like me.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.