Fully Voiced, or Texted?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Ichbin, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chripsy

Chripsy Avatar

if SOTA make a boat load of money will you add voice? :)

2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Never say never, but I would argue against it.

3. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

Voice would be neat to do, but in a crowded community it might sound hectic on speakers..... But in small groups definately would be neat.

4. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I'm ok with text, I've got enough voices in my head to attribute to all the NPCs that will support my immersion! :D

Vyrinor likes this.
  5. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

What I think would be cool is cinematic cutscenes that would play whenever a new world plot segment is released.

I like the idea where questgivers do not have symbols floating over their heads, but in fact give SUGGESTIONS for quests, leaving it totally up to the individual to pursue... However, the questing CLIMATE of the game is important to me. I believe in story-driven content. Not in the sense that every player is THE hero of the story, but in the sense that the world around them has a story going on that we can get caught up in.

In UO, there were official storylines going on. People assumed the roles of key NPCs and played out events. Players fortunate enough to be on hand were witness to things that would set the tone for what was going on. But what about the ones who could not be there. The questing climate would be the same for them as everyone else after the event, but not getting to witness the why and how of it, it could feel a bit disappointing.

So I say that After the initial live performance takes place for those fortunate to be on-hand, a pre-produced cutscene in the same place and with the same plot characters could be made available... Whether these would be fully voiced or texted would be up to the devs, but the world story would progress, ALL players can know what it's about and decide whether or not to get involved and to what degree.

It is very important that we be able to create our own unique story for our characters. But it is of equal importance that the world itself have a real story about it that evolves around us, allowing our story to intertwine with it if we so wish. I don't mind reading. I also don't mind voic-acted dialogue. So long as I am free to make my character be who I wish, and can chose to be a part of world story elements.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would like some voice. This is going to be a 'new' game even if it unique in its own ways. I am spoiled in some ways and enjoy some of things I've experienced where your character might make a comment or toss their hair back, you know have some personality. It could just be me and a picture I've got in my mind that is negative and incorrect of course.

derek6665 likes this.
  7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I like cutscenes and voices in a game...as well as facial expressions and good emotes...but, Not at the sacrifice of quality gameplay.

It's kinda fluff to have these things...but if it's possible to do it without increasing the cost/CPU usage too much then why not?

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ill do voice overs! just contact me when you want me to do it, ill have to look through my schedule! (umm, hmm im free on tues and wed) I would love doing voices!

9. smack

smack Avatar

I wonder if they're still entertaining integrating with third party software to generate voices real-time.

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Voices would be nice for key cutscenes. (They could use Starr, Dallas, and staff members to save on costs.) At the very least, Richard (Lord British) and Gina (FireLotus) should have some voiced dialogue :D

Jambo and smack like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

I think it would be neat if they voiced their in-game characters. That is, they would essentially be NPCs with some limited dialog interaction when they weren't actually online.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That's exactly what I had in mind :D

Jambo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.