FYI: archery changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I think it is high time for a PvP only skill tree and armor to go with it. Those could negate some of these painful PVE hits. I swear I see a polearm dude take down a dragon, meanwhile my little archer gets two hit killed.

2. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I disagree, archers' defense is too strong, gotta nerf the HP! Put a -300 HP debuff on every ranged weapon now!
    I have some more cool ideas that would make people crave for playing SotA, like increasing the fizzle chance debuff from bows and add perma death to those who dare using ranged as their skill tree of preference.
    Why not make ranged skills hurt the archer using them too, so this way we can force archers to become life mages or they'll die from their own hits. And how about making each arrow cost 50 gp so we can prevent archers spamming skills?

Well, that's all I can come out with right now, because doubling focus cost and cast time and reducing damage were already done!

3. Restless

Restless Avatar

Hi, my in game name is Graydios. Maybe you've heard of me. Pretending you know more about pvp than me is simply silly and what you've said here is completely false. I invite you to come test your theory. :)

I and many of my friends who have long left the game have agreed with this for a long time. PvP only gear, had only from pvp areas would be great.

King Robert likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's funny that when I'm at a control point, the pets consistently average the highest DPS but archers are always the ones to get cries for nerf.

FrostII likes this.
  5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Never heard of you, sorry.
    Judging by your attitude, I'm not interested in doing anything with you, thanks for inviting though.
    If you're the 1% top min-maxers that ruin the game for us bottom 99% by exploiting some stuff and making devs nerf stuff, I can only say well done.

Rada Torment and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Restless

Restless Avatar

So let me see if I understand you. You want to have your say in something which doesn't concern you - while not testing what the reality is for high end damage? Then you go on to spread your salt and misinformation all over the forums? /eyeroll

King Robert likes this.
  7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

You seem a bit confused.

I'll try my best to help.

I'm not a min-maxer, but I get hit by nerfs that aim min-maxers.

Meanwhile, min-maxers keep doing crazy 2k hits.

Now a simple question to you:
    Why not just buff shields to become an actual counter if you say they're not?

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  8. BeDbMa

BeDbMa Avatar

Perhaps, before talking about pvp, you need to try what pvp is. Normal pvp with players who know how to play (yes, there are 4-5 such people left on the server, because the developers are not interested in developing this direction). After that, it will become much clearer to you why archers need nerfing. How this should be implemented is another side of the issue. But yes, this is SotA. Therefore, you should always be prepared for the fact that after the next update your class / craft / materials / artifacts may become trash. Or vice versa. But this is not certain.

King Robert likes this.
  9. Restless

Restless Avatar

Because the current legendary / epic, attn cap, exp gain quickly makes the entire game irrelevant. If someone can spend 2 weeks in an ERG pub group and solo everything in the game - how much fun is that?

You are correct in thinking these top end nerfs should not make it to low end players. I agree with this.

However, you have been arguing that 2k - 4k hits are ok because you want sota easy for you.

King Robert and Saevio Vehemens like this.
  10. BeDbMa

BeDbMa Avatar

With knowledge of the mechanics of the game, the use of crafting, the presence of brains and at least a bit straight hands, making a 2k shot from a bow/xbow is very simple. In pvp it is more difficult. Some people in pve did 4k. But where does the min-max?
    Most of the people I have met in locations are dressed in garbage, which cannot even be called equipment. There are trading cities where you can buy normal armor, weapons and other items necessary for the game if you don't want to do anything yourself. There are also many consumables for battles.
    And do you seriously think that the opinion of those players who are lazy and don't want to think should lead the development of the game?

King Robert likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is what Chris is doing.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, everyone should wear the requisite epic bandit gear, savage sash of swiftness, etc.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I don't remember asking that.
    I don't remember doing more than 1,3k crit damage, ever.
    Believe me, I'm only an archer trying to enjoy the game as it is. Problem is it keeps changing for worse because someone else one-shots players 50 meters away.

That's none of my business as many stated, I did PvP only a handful of times, with roughly 50% win ratio. Why I get affected by the changes then?

My main question persists: Why not buff other stuff and make proper counter rather than jeopardizing the whole class?

majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Honestly... none of the rationale behind the possible tweaks surprise me. They come from the same person that said there was no difference between Chain and Plate IRL.

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Saevio Vehemens

Saevio Vehemens Avatar

I'm in favor of a full reset, myself. Don't take anyone's gear or property. But put everyone at the same starting point 0. Then see where things really need to be adjusted.
    AFK change is going to hit people hard and a reset will keep things interesting again. I know it won't happen. What's funny though is all the folks who've said "I'll quit the game if there's a reset" have already quit.

Restless likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sorry, @Saevio Vehemens , but you're wrong on that.
    We haven't quit, but a reset would do it for sure.

Anpu, GMDavros, FBohler and 1 other person like this.
  17. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'm still playing, a XP reset would make me totally ditch the game.
    IMO is the problem is unbalanced gear rather than skills. Rare Bandit chest armor and Epic crossbow of accuracy make archers OP and crafted gear worthless.
    And the most interesting thing is archers can't do the crazy highest hits without exploiting Berserker's Stance and Savage Sonata. And archers can't survive for too long without exploiting Shield of Air.

So my conclusion is: while there are skill trees that are too far away from the meta to be useful, gear and auxiliary skills are the main source of archer inbalance. If an archer wears only crafted gear and don't have tactics spec, they're going to be even weaker than their melee counterparts.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Any build in this game if you don´t use decent gear and skills with synergy will be meh... an archer/melee without tactics spec loses at least 90% critical damage ... a mage without decent attunement dont deal damage, need specific artifacts, buffs , skills and food to enchance his power.... combining existing artifacts and skills don´t make you an exploiter

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Anpu, King Robert and Yigg Endimion like this.
  19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I agree. But there's no viable option other than Bandit + Epic Crossbow of Accuracy + Tactics. It's pure meta. If you do anything different from that, you're wasting potential.
    That's why I think the problem isn't ranged combat itself, but gear + tactics + savage.

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

same for all kind of mages the best in slot for the majority of gear are artifacts. In my gear wands, rings, belt, necklace, and boots are artifacts only a few pieces are crafted ones

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    King Robert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.