Game became unplayable last couple of days?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by kozmoh, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozmoh

kozmoh Avatar

Hi all , been playing for about 3 weeks now. Game was running ok (not great but ok ), but last couple of days the game has been soooo slow its unplayable. updated my graphics card drivers and have direct X12 . Still unplayable.

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Have you tried reducing the video settings under video options? These things are being worked on. In the meantime, try less intense video settings, try playing in single player online mode, try going to less dense areas of the map. The big cities with lots of housing is the worst place to be when you are having trouble. Do you have stuttering when you move? Shut you computer completely off and reboot..... Just some things to try @kozmoh

Numa likes this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Welcome!
    Can you post your computer's specs? Also, just to rule it out, make sure your HDD isn't full.

4. Womby

Womby Avatar

The devs are implementing a performance optimization phase. This means that there is a higher than normal possibility of the accidental, temporary introduction of bugs.
    In addition, disk problems can have weird symptoms. You might try running chkdsk and sfc.

5. null2

null2 Avatar

Where did you get this information? I don't think they are working on performance at all this release if you look at standup corner. Nobody has been working on performance for this entire release, except for today (one person working on it).

Not sure where you got that info.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/standup-corner.2315/page-53

6. null2

null2 Avatar

does performance get better if you enter different scenes?

7. Womby

Womby Avatar

@Kigu Starfish (Kor) Sorry, they were working on performance optimization previously and I assumed they still were. I stand corrected.

8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have problems in nearly very town/city(POT's as well) I get down to as low as 2fps in town now. Conversely, in most non-housing scenes and the Overworld, I'm getting 60fps. The lowest I get is maybe 34fps. I'm running on Fastest setting. I've always had lower FPS in towns/cities, but the last two releases have made it nearly unplayable for me in towns. If I point the camera at the ground in a town the FPS goes right back up to around 60fps. Hope this is fixed soon...I avoid towns unless I really need something from them.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15990
    GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.9.0 / 4.10.0-32-generic, LLVM 4.0.0) GPU RAM: 8134
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Linux.64.645.Date.08.03.17
    STORAGE: ADATA 240g SSD

9. Numa

Numa Avatar

There are reports of people having performance problems with systems with 8gig of RAM. That and the resolution you run the game in are probably the two biggest potential bottlenecks for the game.

10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have an AMD RX480 and run Ubuntu Linux. I installed a program called DRI(3-D acceleration), and I edited the config file and cut off VSYNC. Before the max FPS I was getting was 61FPS, now I'm getting up to 157FPS in some scenes. The towns are still awful but some are not as bad as they were. I gained a few FPS in the towns, but still drop as low as 4fps in some areas. I think this program is usable for all AMD cards. Here is what I added between the end; after the last </device> and before </driconf>:

Code:
    </device>
       <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
           <application name="Default">
               <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
           </application>
       </device>
    </driconf>

This has really improved my performance and disabling Vsync hasn't caused any screen tearing or other graphical artifacts(yet.) Also, in Owl's head I was dropping to as low as 2fps, now I can get to around 14fps(still horrible, but more tolerable.)

Numa likes this.
  11. kozmoh

kozmoh Avatar

I changed my vis card and aside a couple of flash freezes the game runs Well.

Thanks

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi kozmoh, welcome to SotA! Glad to hear a couple of tweaks did the job. Please let us know if you notice any further performance issues.

kozmoh and Vladamir Begemot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.