Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game imbalance is not incentive

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Umuri, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

First you add in a mandatory 10% exp to be in a party, 10% extra if i add another player.
    Now you're adding a mandatory 25% exp to have my pvp flag turned on and be in multiplayer, yet not restricting this to pvp only zones, but applicable anywhere so there's no concentration or actual risk if you're in a party.
    This in addition to the stated staff position that control points are -not- supposed to be soloable, is getting to be too much.

The only risk that flag gives is for the solo player. There's 0 risk to a party, especially not with the current exploit laden leaderboard.
    Add this to repeated attempts by staff to make control points "solo proof" yet refusing to give solo players an equivalent exp area or boss to fight. I'm all for some content being big party, but it shouldn't be the ONLY SOURCE IN THE GAME for decent(within 20% of top) exp rates.

With the current party + pvp bonuses, If I play solo i am taking at minimum a 30% exp reduction compared to otherwise now due to the -25% from pvp and -10% from party, even before we consider the scene imbalances.

Quit forcing out solo players. Not everyone wants to be social 24/7, and forcing us to play 3 hours for every 2 a social player plays is not fun.

I group plenty, but i -hate- being forced to in order to get a decent exp rate. Especially when my hours don't always line up with groups.

Suggested fix:
    Restrict the pvp bonus to shardfalls/mandatory multiplayer scenes only and factor that into the scene's balance.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Snazz, JohnnyChimpo, uhop and 25 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

where is this coming from? please show me where this is stated it is happeneing?

@Chris, @DarkStarr, @Berek

Can someone from the dev team explain this to me - is there really a bonus to exp for PvP or being in multi player?

Need to know as - well - lets see the answer.

Also if it is not this thread needs to be adjusted and changed so as not to be throwing out false information to create something that is not there.

3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

To replicate:
    Go to ruined keep, hidden vale.
    For this test, we will use the bridge troll.

starting Exp 1604680
    Kill #1. friends mode, 4k exp
    After kill Exp - 1608680
    Went to owls head, turned on pvp, went to multiplayer
    Kill #2. multiplayer, pvp, 5k exp. Extra 25%.
    Kill #3. friends only, pvp flag, 4k exp
    Kill #4. Multiplayer, no pvp flag, 4k exp

Which shows you need both the pvp mode, and multiplayer.

4. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@Weins201 its in QA now. Up and running. :)

5. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

The xp bonus does not apply in friends only, or single from what i could see.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. aseltine

aseltine Avatar

I don't PVP. I'm not going to PVP. It's not my game play style and I'll sink my money into another game that isn't going to try and force me into a game play style I have no interest in.

uhop, Toadster, Elwyn and 9 others like this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeah I am here I am looking and will be testing but there are other issues and a developer needs to chime in

I will have number in a few just turned on PvP

Ok here is an issue I just Did PvP in Friends Only Killing Lg Grey Wolfs 5 times each kill was 105 exp - I did it just a minute before PvP in Multi Player lg Grey Wolfs 5 time and each kill was 131 exp difference of 26 points and 19.84 % difference.

Now there is still a difference which I see as a HUGE problem but not the 25% so again need a developer to get on and discuss this I am going to go back to the Oracle and clear PvP and repeat and will post numbers

8. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

I would be really happy if this bonus goes live. Finally a reason to get more people into multi mode!!

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Does anyone have a thread from someone at Portalarium that confirms these xp changes ?

10. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

wtf being forced to pvp flag is just dumb. Other games have tried this and its been SUPER unpopular, as a pve only player I HATE being forced to pvp when its completely unnecessary.
    NOTHING is more frustrating as being forced into a role that you don't want to do just to participate in a instance/dungeon/group activity. I will NOT be forced to pvp end. of. story.

uhop, Toadster, Chatele and 8 others like this.
  11. Selene

Selene Avatar

So.. is there decay on pvp deaths now? because that is the only way it's fair. Otherwise, you just flag up when getting xp and unflag when you're grinding gold.

12. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

*blink* There's a difference? *puzzled look*

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thank you I have been saying this for years. @Sir Frank I believe wants a valid single player experience also.

Chatele, Mykll, Bodhbh Dearg and 2 others like this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Where did it say anything about forcing? Isn't it just the bonus to be in party or Flagg pvp, no? Do they nerf xp rate on playing without party?

Black Tortoise, Hazard and NRaas like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Is not a bonus to one mode a negative to another. Its how you look at it. Thats why the modes should all be equal. As long as there are modes and if you give bonus's to one mode, the other modes will see negatives.

16. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

think about it, I run with a bunch of guys that get the most xp out of an instance they can, therefore they will want to flag for that extra bonus forcing me as a healer to flag as well, or just not go. Which I will not do therefore be left behind per usual because the devs can't seem to get
    their act together and play mmos with a valid pve experience and quit their knee-jerk reactions. example : taming is still seriously unusable. When we figure out to use a valid and commonly used tactic such as kiting, or line of sighting, they break it. makes no sense what-so-ever. Do you devs even bother to PLAY the game?

Toadster, Mykll, lollie and 1 other person like this.
  17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, a bonus for one play-style is *obviously* intended as a deterrent for the opposite play-style... Duh. :p

Yep...

*Grabs popcorn*

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Wow, this is really unfair.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok finished up There was a 20% increase for me on the Lg Grey Wolves while flagged PvP and in Multi Player

131 exp per wolf in while flagged and in Multi Player and only 105 in all other modes

This has to be a mistake.

If this is intended and goes live it is "forcing" player to both flag PvP and play in Multi Player to keep up with the Jones.

A developer needs to chime in ASAP and the thread needs to remain Civil.

uhop, Chatele, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  20. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

There is a point where a large enough bonus is forcing people to play with it, or not play on an equal footing.
    Now where that point is, people will disagree on. For example, if they gave a 3000% exp bonus to pvp flagged players, most people would say that's forcing people to play pvp flagged without question. 300%, and you'd probably still have most people arguing it's forced.

For me? I prefer to look at in terms of time used.
    So lets take two players, each who can play on average 2 hours a night, 4 nights a week, and 1 day on weekend for 6 hours.
    Their total weekly playtime is 14 hours.

Right now, a solo player loses at minimum 45% exp vs a grouped pvp flagged player (20% bonus to group, 25% exp bonus to pvp). Potentially higher if you take into account the lack of solo zones with good exp unless we're going insanely minimax'd and soloing control points but that's not part of this discussion.

So we have player A, the solo player, who has to farm exp for 6 hours of his 14 to reach the advancement he wants, and only has 8 horus left for social/crafting/etc.
    Then we have player B, the group player, who only has to farm exp for 4 hours of his 14 to reach the same advancement, and then has 10 hours free for social/crafting/etc.

So because of this, player B gets 2 hours extra of crafting/mining, maybe even more farming, each week, all else being equal. Which, if we remember that he also gets exp at an even faster rate (4 hours for a week vs player a's 6), then that means, if he puts in the same time as player A (6 hours a week), he gets the equivalent of an extra half month of farming, every month.
    An extra half month of farming every month, for two equal playstyles, all because one joined a party and flagged pvp.
    It sounds a lot worse when you look at it that way doesn't it?

To me, that's enough to say it's forced, because over time that 2 hour adds up, especially if the person is trying to craft and compete in the marketplace, and keeps falling further behind.
    Remember, bonus exp doesn't just scale linearly, it compounds on itself, since less time is spent on less profitable stages.

Pedantic statistics note: 105 -> 131 is a 25% increase. 105 * 1.25 = 131. It only looks like 20% if you go backwards.

Aldo, Elwyn, Phoenix007 and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.