Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game imbalance is not incentive

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Umuri, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!! Keep up the good work Chris!

Spinok, Chris and Govenor Ruin like this.
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You have some good arguments, but it would be helpful if you could please be more concise with responses. We are trying our best to read feedback, but the added jabs at the devs and extensive explanations with fill words doesn't help.

To be clear, we are not forcing anyone in one more or another. Games have bonuses for separate modes all the time for very good reasons Chris is trying to outline, this isn't new. Each mode must have different considerations to ensure a fair gameplay field.

Also recognize that single player is precisely that... single player. It doesn't make sense to complain about having a disadvantage in adventuring alone compared to multiplayer, especially when we're at the same time complaining there is no one even playing in multiplayer, unless you are trying to take advantage of the current way the system is balanced, something we are trying to fix.

NRaas likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

well if you have not sold out yet your "investment" is worth 50% :-(

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If it's not fun then why does it exist at all?

Katrina Bekers and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Stop and take a breath people. This change makes perfect sence.

Im at adv lvl 83 right now and I have done it 100% solo. So, you can see that I am a solo player too. I think I have died once in PvE over the past 3 months.

But I also like to PvP. You should receive PvP bonus to exp for the simple reason that if you PvP, you dont get exp for killing other people and you will die a lot and take a lot of hits to exp for it.

Every PvP tourney I join, I will die for sure 2 times and take the exp hit for it.

This change makes perfect sense and really does not effect non-PvP solo players in ANY way. It simple helps people to PvP and deal with their exp loss from death better.

Chatele, Spinok, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  6. Curt

Curt Avatar

25% bonus means you can obtain the same xp in 4 days instead of 5 thats quite big.

Picture if they had added a obsidian potion that gave +25% xp. That would lead to outrage and people talking about pay to win

Now its PvP to +25% xp bonus why should we not feel a similar outrage for this? I know had this been from the beginning so would I NOT placed any money in SOTA

Uncle Sven likes this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Again, keep the emotional jabs out of the conversation or I'll have to start editing posts. The arguments can stand on their own merit, but we're not going to take this to a bickering level, otherwise it should be PMed.

Ask questions on why we made changes, don't push your suggestions as if they are absolutely correct and you understand everything about our system... which you don't. You need to ask questions when something isn't clear, and then we can have a discussion.

Bamboozle and Vaiden Luro like this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

All these mechanics in the game to slow down the gameplay (slow travel off roads on the map, limited bind points, etc) it doesn't make sense to then try and speed it up somewhere else. If I party with another player (+20%exp) and flag for pvp(+25%exp) as long as we play in multi in an unpopular zone, we would gain experience 55% faster than a player in single player. How is that not "forcing you" into a given game mode?

Elwyn, Athanil, Vaiden Luro and 2 others like this.
  9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Meh, i wouldn't flag for PVP even if you would add an +50% XP bonus.

And even if i would flag myself PVP, i wouldn't do PVP at all :p

For now, i don't think you will see the desired effect out of this...

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im not sure how you can say this forces you into anything. I probably wont PvP flag in multi to get this bonus because I know if I do, I may actually end up with less exp and probably a whole lot less gold still as I get killed trying to do so.

The only thing this does is finally give me great help if I choose to flag PvP and engage in PvP... will it be enough to compensate for the exp loss or gold loss when I die? Im not sure it will.

Chatele and Robros Reh like this.
  11. Selene

Selene Avatar

I agree. I think it will be just another thing the min/maxers utilize without creating an actual increase in pvp.

Chatele, Elwyn, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Unless something has changed in the QA version, you don't get decay from pvp deaths.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I needed an incentive to flag, always intended to but what was the point...more risk, no reward...until now.....great move...

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Exactly. The players who want to see more faces in Multiplayer, or have more PvP opportunities, won't get what they want with this change.

Elwyn, Vaiden Luro and Robros Reh like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, the major issue I'd have is that its not really fixing any of the problems with the game mechanics. Just ignoring that they exist, and providing a min/max carrot for people to follow.

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That is GREAT news if true!

One of the reasons I dont multi is that my 5 skull areas are usually saturated with people. The farming nodes are taken and I have to spend far more time running around trying to find spawning mobs. When Im in solo, I can literally move mob to mob and endlessly farm my exp.

This may actually give me incentive to log into multi and give it a try again. The exp may balance out between the two. I would still be worried though that if I have aggressive people in zone killing me that the exp bonus may not be enough and I may not be able to afford the gold to pay the oracle for stuff I lose.

I still say its a good move. IT gives me an avenue to actually flag PvP and give it a try for the first time.

17. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Now if you give a +25% XP bonus to multiplayer, but without the requirement to PVP flag, that might help to increase the multiplayer population.
    But the PVP flag thing pretty much already destroyed it for me :p

Chatele, Elwyn, Vaiden Luro and 4 others like this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Now not only do I have to flag PvP but I have to also make my whole world PvP enabled , or I sacrifice 25%$ exp???

Here is a statement I received from the Dev team long ago

But once the game is launched, players who want absolutely nothing to do with PvP will never find a need to enter them. The only items that would be exclusive to those areas are those which would only benefit a PvPer.

Please do not try and lawyer a way out of it but you either play PvP or give up 25% exp - bad bad idea

Chatele, Elwyn, Vaiden Luro and 5 others like this.
  19. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

and save all that ransom money you would have to pay......seems a fair trade off to me....
    If you think the 25% extra xp, is better for you than what you would lose, then flag...still have a choice to what suits you and your playstyle better

20. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I'm missing this... People that want and enjoy PVP get to do PVP.. why should they get a special reward for it? Where is my special reward for the char that only wants to craft?

aseltine, Uncle Sven, Chatele and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.