Game in Brittany Fields (Possible SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fister Magee, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I found some letters in Brit Fields that is leading me on a 'scavenger hunt' of sorts, but I need help...

I had found a hint leading me to the large old tree in the center of town, and there I found a letter entitled "Game: First Letter". This letter led me to another spot where I found a second letter, "Game: Second Letter".

Both letters have hints on where to search for the next letter, as well as directions to find a 'treasure'...

I am having problems though finding the third letter, and I need it to complete my search. I'm unsure if there are more than three letters currently...

"Another letter containing part of the directions may be found near the bark of a willow..."

I've located the only willow tree in Brit Fields, and cannot find a letter anywhere nearby or on the tree. This tree is near the public crafting pavilion in the north-east part of town. Where could it be?

Does anyone know about these, or where to find my next letter?

Paladin Michael likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

this willow is not a tree

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I suspected that was the case, but haven't yet found anyone named Willow (mostly because almost noone gives me their name), and I assume there's a dog nearby as well? I'll keep looking! Thanks for the hint!

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Where's the first letter?

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

A collaborative effort from a bunch of players trying to solve this quest. Unfortunately, I got confirmation that this was unfinished.
    Game: First Letter

I found this near the Great Oak in Brittany Fields:

[​IMG]

There is a well in the Palasade’s shelter. I didn’t find another letter or object to interact with near the well (that wasn’t the well). There is also a “Well’s Pond” in Brittany Fields. I scanned the pond’s coast line, scanned the water itself (i’ve found a puzzle objective IN water), and I swam up the small river that feeds the pond (aka - the source). I didn’t find anything in the water/cavern nor on top of the rocky outcrop. I also scanned the other pond (Schmidt’s Pond). Nothing there that I could spot.

Daxxe - I have been looking for that 1st letter for ages! This is part of another short quest that is likely not relevant to the main one we are trying to solve here. The following note can be found in Brit Fields in the “apple shack” down by the Fish Hatchery and a dry-docked boat (not sure why there is a forced gap here):

[​IMG]

So, you apparently found the first clue needed to solve this puzzle. I’ll try to grab the one you found today and see if I can progress this one.

Update - Been looking around the Palisades for an hour or so. Logically, the “source of the well” should be Well’s Pond… which is just to the west of the North Gate. The clue said approx 50 paces north along the road from the North Gate… however, I wonder if the map has rotated since this quest was added? Maybe it should say 50 paces west of the West Gate? That would take you right to about the bridge crossing over the stream feeding Well’s Pond. Still, I searched every square inch of the pond, the banks, the stream, etc. and can’t find a clue or a loose stone anywhere. The only thing close to there that I found was the loose stone on the back side of the Crafting Pavillion, which is further west from the pond. It’s been empty though, so not sure if it’s what we need for this.

FYI - it looks like you have the first note. The lonely old man refers to the old man oak I’d guess.

Fazza- Yeah it’s at 173.8, 57.4, 246.8. As for the ‘north gate’ it says its the north gate of the “central palisade shelter” - Not the north gate of the map :)

A palisade—sometimes called a stakewall or a paling

More likely to be in picture below? Can't see a well though but it is water. Not found it yet

[​IMG]

Ignore me. They must have flipped the map 90 degrees to the left yeah.

Second note can be found here (389.4, 51.6, 14.4)

So, there are 2 parts to the puzzle. 1 part tells you where the next clue is, the other part tells you part of the steps to take to find the final treasure. So in the first note, you get a clue that the next note is near the source of the well AND you get the first steps in the discovery of the final treasure. We have found the note by the well source. It indicates another note near a willow and adds steps towards the final treasure.

Game: Second Letter
    Here is the 2nd clue for The Game:

[​IMG]
    As stated above, we think each letter gives 2 clues. Next to last paragraph is directions to actual Prize, last paragraph is hints to find next letter.

Couple interesting things…

1. The first letter says approx 50 paces from north palisades gate. This leads to roughly the road intersection just below where Fazza thought letter 2 was supposed to be. This intersection has a double sign post with 2 signs pointing different directions and they both say “This Way” ???

2. We found what we think is the only “Willow Tree” in the scene. Although the clue says near the “bark of a willow” this is likely relevant somehow. Just for a hunch, I went to the closest road to that tree (slightly west of it) and paced off 35 steps to the North… and it landed at another intersection. This one also had a street sign and it was labeled “Blank Sign”. I ran around to all the intersections on this map and these are the only two street signs I could find… and both of them seem to give no information at all. Strange to put up 2 signs and neither have a purpose… or do they? I searched near this sign and couldn’t find the next letter, and also searched as far as I could go in the direction that sign was pointing and couldn’t find it around there either.

3. Going back to the “bark of a willow” instruction, I’m thinking the next letter is going to be near a piece of scrap wood somewhere and not the actual willow tree (but it could be close to there). No luck yet though, and I’m stumped as to where to find the next letter.

Fazza- Hah, I did think. I've just had a hunt around and.....

Willow the dog, and the stone. Are here 37.8, 44.7, 7.5

Daxxe - I just went to get the letter near Willow… noticed there was a pickaxe on the ground… thought that was weird being is was a marshy area near the ocean.

Game: Third letter:
    [​IMG]

I’m thinking possibly some sort of wind turbine / windmill or something….

*update - There is a windwill nearby at 252.5, 51.8, -93.9. Nothing yet (think this has to be best bet)

Also wind turbines at 395.6, 49.4, -135.7

Another set at 91.0, 53.9, 94.6

Was also thinking about a ship’s sail. But cant find any non-player ships. Or even a tavern called ‘Windy Arms’ or somthing -Daxxe - I was thinking it might also mean something like a mechanical lifter - arm of the wind (wind like wind a clock, not gust of air). The last clue sounded like it was bark from the willow tree, but was bark of a dog named Willow… Willow tree was a fake, so windmill and turbines might be too and this is likely a play on words too!

Daxxe - Have not yet found the 4th letter, but just noticed something when looking at the first 3 letters. Letter 1 says “The first part of the directions leading to the location of the prize”... Letter 2 says “the third part…” and Letter 3 says “The second part…” So, I believe we were 100% correct in that the letters are 2-part clues. Otherwise, the 2nd letter would say the 2nd part and the 3rd would say 3rd part.

I don’t have the 4th letter yet, but I started pacing off what we have so far. 50 north of palisade north gate, 115 east along the road, 35 north along the road… This lead me to the forked intersection at the gate to Central Brittany! This is also the location of the hidden door behind the statue that discovered before… but the last letter could lead us north or west along the intersecting roads. Really curious as to how this ends!

Senjut - still can’t find the 4th letter “in the arm of the wind”. Earlier Daxxe and I were pondering if it’s even in this zone, but a bit ago I realized the intro letter says the four letters are “in this area” so it must be here in Brit Fields. The others have been very spot on as to the words, the first says “AT the source of the well,” the second says “near the bark of a willow.” But this one says “IN the arm of the wind” and how many things can you be “in”? Water or a building or what else? Within the confines of something, basically (in the palisade, for example). But I tried all of that, searching in water, going over and over the inside of the windmill, re-checking all the other fixed buildings, etc. Just can’t find it. But I do think “in” is important.

Daxxe - I found the 4th Letter. It was indeed in the arm of one of the windmills! If you go to the top of the stairs, then go left a bit, then jump up onto the ledge wall (just beneath where the windmill rotates). If you look up from there and put your cursor on the ends of the windmill, it will turn green when in reach of the right arm and you can grab it.

Will post some screenshots tomorrow to help with the rest.

Anpu and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Alley Oop

? you guys got all four clues, you did not follow the directions to the prize?

(consider that people have different walk speed, so if you're zooming around with light armor innates or spells or gear you may be overshooting step counts)

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I got three so far, about to finish this off I hope! I'll keep you posted. Thanks everyone!

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I found all the letters, and have followed the directions and I believe I ended up at a small bridge..no treasure. Not sure if it's the bridge itself, or I'm missing something.

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Holy crap those letters were hard to find! You REALLY need to dig in and search.

I think I have found out where the directions intimate, but it seems to be a dead end. How unfortunate...

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It was very enjoyable, but I can't be sure I found the 'prize'... it isn't something obvious if I did find it? Would be nice to have it be a chest of odds and ends. I've definitely spent way too much time on it!

Anpu and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, we got all the clues and a couple of us "walked out" the directions and we all ended up in the same general area... but nobody could find anything hidden in that location. I spoke to a Dev about it at the time (I believe it was Attenwood) and was told they never got around to completing that little side quest.

If you or anyone else can confirm there is a prize... please do share!

PS... seems my first post has helped a few to find the prize, so I'm not going to bother uploading and posting screen shots of the last clue unless it's requested.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

OK, after the post by @Alley Oop I got curious as to whether this quest was possible to complete (I got the impression she was implying it was there to be found)... so I went back in in Offline Mode and ran through the collection of all the letters and followed the path they lead you on.

Note that you need to pay attention to the letters and what they say. They are numbered 1 thru 4, but the direction steps to the prize don't follow them in order. ;)

So, as some of you have already discovered, the letters lead you to a bridge and I searched the entire top and bottom of that bridge before when we found it but never found anything. However, when I just tried today, I did find a "Loose Brick" somewhere nearby.
    It's under the bridge, at the bottom of the arch support on the West side.
    The "Prize" was very minimal - 15 Gold and a "Reward" letter... but the satisfaction of finally finishing that thing was reward enough for me. :D

14. Alley Oop

i had found something that made sense to me to be the prize. that was not it. yours is much better!

Anpu, Daxxe Diggler and Fister Magee like this.
  15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Doh! And I looked SO HARD there! Oh well! Thanks!

P.S. Finally finished this one, hope to meet G.M. or find another letter somewhere soon!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Could G.M. be the alumnus developer Geoff Mellon (see alumni list here, scroll down about 3/4 of the way to see Mellon's listing)?

Anpu, Cordelayne and Fister Magee like this.
  17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Possibly! Nice catch, I was wondering about other devs names. Though "Game Master" sounds viable as well! I wonder where he/she could be?

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Geoff's role was listed as "Lead Character Artist". By the sounds of that and his bio... I don't think he would be spending time creating a side quest of this nature while at Portalarium.

It's most likely someone else who did more of the storyline/quest stuff.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Looking at the Reward Letter in my offline saved game files, this is what it is labeled as:

#Books/Novia_R3_City_Brittany_Fields_Letter_Hunt_5

(I had 1 thru 5 in inventory)

The R3 typically designates the Release number that it was introduced into the game, so I'd say this was someone who was employed very early on in Development. Most likely was Lum and/or Gina (Firelotus) as they were the main story writers early on.

20. Alley Oop

R3 is the map region for regalis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.